Changes to the MMR Program

Anyone in the MMR or considering entering the MMR program, should be concerned to know there are some major changes planned for the program. The MMR is “undergoing a realignment with MSC and the Navy” and “[FONT=Calibri]recreating itself in order to modify the way the Navy views and uses our program and our reservists.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]I understand this will include:[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]- renaming the program from MMR to “Strategic Sealift Officer Program” - SSOP[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]- involuntary depoloyments[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]- redesign of the MMR pin [/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]It’s all bad, but the pin redesign is really stupid. From what I recall, the MMR pin is the oldest warfare insignia in the US Navy, was once the insignia for all Navy Reservists, and is now only worn by MMR Officers. Or something along those lines. Probably changing to the MSC logo or something.[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]I’m not sure if there is any official information on this, but you may express your displeasure directly to the MMR program manager.[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][/FONT]

The breast insignia of the present Merchant Marine Reserve, U. S. Naval Reserve (Eagle and Scroll) was approved for wear on merchant marine uniforms on 7 April 1938, by Secretary of the Navy, Claude A. Swanson.

The Submarine Qualification insignia for officers and enlisted was first proposed by then-Captain Ernest King on 13 June 1923, with the current design finalized March 1924.

I could put up with a lot of BS, but redesign my pin … NO WAY. I put in my resignation this morning.

I think I will be resigning. I’ve been eligible to do so for some time and this just gives me the motivation to actually do it.

As far as the insignia goes, it pretty hard to research it but its existence may date back farther than 1938. The Naval Reserve / Merchant Marine Reserve were disbanded and reformed several times, going back to the revolutionary war.

On [B]June 12, 1775[/B], the first Reservists in American history served their country at sea. Throughout the battle for [B]American independence[/B], the small size of the Continental Navy often necessitated the service of Citizen Sailors.

The MMR was a good backdoor for a commission, but it’s been going down hill for years.

[QUOTE=Jeffrox;33656]
The Submarine Qualification insignia for officers and enlisted was first proposed by then-Captain Ernest King on 13 June 1923, with the current design finalized March 1924.[/QUOTE]

Who would probably spin in his grave if he knew that everyone with a torso now has a look-alike insignia so that they don’t feel left out. Add me to the list of those who earned those fish the hard way and now feel like they have cheapened what wings and fish stand - stood - for, just so no one is “left out.” Geesh, what’s next, medals for working weekends?

For those interested here is a link to the signed OPNAV instruction. The beloved sea chicken is no more, and cadets are no longer qualified for the SSOWI (Strategic Sealift Officer Warfare Insignia)
http://doni.daps.dla.mil/Directives/01000%20Military%20Personnel%20Support/01-500%20Military%20Training%20and%20Education%20Services/1534.1D.pdf

Rest In Peace Sea Chicken
7 April 1938 to 10 June 2011

[QUOTE=skipather;51372]For those interested here is a link to the signed OPNAV instruction. The beloved sea chicken is no more, and cadets are no longer qualified for the SSOWI (Strategic Sealift Officer Warfare Insignia)
http://doni.daps.dla.mil/Directives/01000%20Military%20Personnel%20Support/01-500%20Military%20Training%20and%20Education%20Services/1534.1D.pdf

Rest In Peace Sea Chicken
7 April 1938 to 10 June 2011[/QUOTE]

Has anyone seen the new SSOWI pin in person? There’s a nice gallery of the old pin at the bottom of this page:

If you like the Sea Chicken, show some nadds and keep wearing it. And for heaven’s sakes try to avoid wearing those stupid auquaflage uniforms. Nearly all your work is done in offices so wear the Khaki’s instead.