Career change to tugboats

Hello everyone. I am a 27 year old guy and currently work as a software tester, but I am burnt out in this industry. I graduated college with a degree in computer science and have been working for 3 years, first as a software engineer and now a tester. I find myself burnt out sitting in a cubicle every day and don’t find my work fulfilling anymore even though it pays well. I don’t mean to sound ungrateful since there are obviously many people who can’t even find a job nowadays, but I just don’t have any passion for this anymore.

I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about jobs that I could try outside of software and the ones that involve some sort of being outdoors or moving around have sounded very appealing. Some people might call me crazy for leaving a cushy, comfortable, well-paying job, but I just don’t have any passion for it anymore and feel like I’m just losing time and paying the bills instead of doing something I enjoy. A few questions:

1.) Would it be easy/difficult to get a job on a tugboat after getting the proper certifications etc? I am in decent physical shape and pretty strong although I’m sure I could improve a bit.
2.) Is there an industry standard for days on vs days off? Also hours of work vs rest while on duty?
3.) How do crews usually handle groceries for the trips? Does everyone stock up before the boat takes off?

Any additional general advice/input is welcome. Thank you very much for your time.

You have much to learn, start with the search function.

With the technological advancements we are seeing in the maritime industry, have you thought about combining your software knowledge and your desire to work at sea? Almost everything is controlled by computers these days, running some kind of software, be it DP, navigation, automation.

This would be the smarter route to go.

Beir Radio would hire you right now to be a DP tech if your half way decent with trouble shooting computer and network hardware. All you need is a passport as those guys go all over the world at a moments notice.

[QUOTE=gulf_engineer;151703]With the technological advancements we are seeing in the maritime industry, have you thought about combining your software knowledge and your desire to work at sea? Almost everything is controlled by computers these days, running some kind of software, be it DP, navigation, automation.[/QUOTE]

I certainly would not rule that approach out. Lately I’ve felt a bit burnt out with technology in the workplace as a whole, but I think that is partly just me feeling a bit frustrated with my particular circumstances (job role/project/company). Perhaps the change of scenery and duties that a job troubleshooting tech issues for boats could cure that. I will research more into it. Thanks for the suggestion.

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;151706]This would be the smarter route to go.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I believe you are right since it would leverage previous experience, start out with better pay grade, etc.

[QUOTE=Jemplayer;151714]Beir Radio would hire you right now to be a DP tech if your half way decent with trouble shooting computer and network hardware. All you need is a passport as those guys go all over the world at a moments notice.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I currently live in central Arkansas and don’t know if there is much going on with maritime employment on the Arkansas River, but I’m guessing the prospects are better along the Mississippi and/or the Gulf of Mexico. If that is the case I may have to wait until I sell my house to relocate to a better point (which I’m planning on doing eventually anyway). I’ll keep Beir in mind and see if they’ve got anything available. Thanks.