Career Advice in the Tug Industry

I should have been more clear. Captains, mates, CHengs, A/E, most “barge captains”, some “barge mates” and some AB DH’s are on even time. Some boats run equal time for DH’s and some run 2/1. BOUCHARD is always short handed and they run it like that for some reason. Some boats run A/E and CHengs on a modified 2/1 schedule as well. The beauty of Bouchard is that you have the opportunity to control your crew changes. The fop’s don’t want to deal with it.

0 Likes

[QUOTE=Tugted;184105]Meanwhile Bouchard is shorthanded.[/QUOTE]

They were one of the many applications I filled out over the last couple months…figured I never made contact because they were inundated with applicants. I noticed they changed their requirements for assistant engineers to a chief limited, which prior was dde 4000…which is why I applied.

0 Likes

Call & ask

0 Likes

[QUOTE=Tugted;184263]Call & ask[/QUOTE]

Tried. I ended up finding something else.

0 Likes

Could we change course for just a minute…I need to update my CG physical. I looked on uscg.mil.nmc …found form CG 719K to print out but form says Expire Date (upper right hand corner) 01/31/2016. Is there a more recent form or are they (CG) still accepting that form at this time?

thanks in advance for helpful update. Just trying to print out form and head to the doc’s office.

0 Likes

[QUOTE=wavesailor;184292]Could we change course for just a minute…I need to update my CG physical. I looked on uscg.mil.nmc …found form CG 719K to print out but form says Expire Date (upper right hand corner) 01/31/2016. Is there a more recent form or are they (CG) still accepting that form at this time?

thanks in advance for helpful update. Just trying to print out form and head to the doc’s office.[/QUOTE]

The USCG is notorious for using forms past their “expire date”, sometimes multiple years past. If it’s on the NMC website it should be the most recent version.

0 Likes

thanks for the comeback. Always reassuring to have others that agree with what I thought was the case.

back to career advice in the tug industry, I am also confounded with the many looking for work, as it is the same for me presently. 1600 ton NC with Master of Towing. I am sitting on the beach going into my fourth month. Laid off??? due to lack of work from my west coast co. Well it’s only May…things will get rolling anytime now right.

0 Likes

That was the form that was given to me at the doctors office when I went to get my physical done sent in my packet and haven’t heard anything back from them yet.

0 Likes

It is the lastest. Previously they had an expiration date in 2012

0 Likes

[QUOTE=z-drive;184319]It is the lastest. Previously they had an expiration date in 2012[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and they used that one until around 2014 or so.

0 Likes

[QUOTE=wavesailor;184292]Could we change course for just a minute…I need to update my CG physical. I looked on uscg.mil.nmc …found form CG 719K to print out but form says Expire Date (upper right hand corner) 01/31/2016. Is there a more recent form or are they (CG) still accepting that form at this time?

thanks in advance for helpful update. Just trying to print out form and head to the doc’s office.[/QUOTE]

Check the fillable form. It should be 5 pages of medical Qs with three pages of instructional crap. That is the form you want. Many online weblinks still link to the old 9 page form which is outdated.

Then when done, scan and save it to your computer, and save it as PDF scans. That way you can easily send it in online to the REC with a completed app and seatime scan, as well as your other info. It’s REALLY easy when done all on line.

The only thing you have to do is send it in several emails. Seems like the USCG has a pretty low attachment file size limit to deal with. Just put your name and mariner number in subject line so it goes to the right file when they open it.

0 Likes

Hey all you guys … thanks for all the input. Got that 719k printed outlast nite and saw the doc this morning. Yeah Cappy I was going to head down to the Rec and turn that stuff in. Angie (gal at rec) usually checks everything out and we make any corrections needed, Then she usually says “hang around for an hr and I’ll get this processed for you” just kidding … don’t you miss the days when the rec folks could approve an upgrade or renewal in an hr or two rather than just sending all info to W.Va. and then wait.

So again thanks, physically I’m fit but I feel like I may be losing my mind.

0 Likes