Captain License - Small Vessels License Requirements

I have been searching the CFRs to see if there is a requirement for a small (approx 5 GT) vessel, which does not carry passengers for hire, but is used for commercial purposes, to have a licensed operator. I have found plenty about OUPV - but according to the CFR references I found - this would not fall into that category. Does anyone know?
Also - How large does a tug have to be before it requires a licensed operator (I am looking at one the same approx. size 5 G.T.)
Thanks in advance.

[quote=todd.harter;11800]I have been searching the CFRs to see if there is a requirement for a small (approx 5 GT) vessel, which does not carry passengers for hire, but is used for commercial purposes, to have a licensed operator. I have found plenty about OUPV - but according to the CFR references I found - this would not fall into that category. Does anyone know?
Also - How large does a tug have to be before it requires a licensed operator (I am looking at one the same approx. size 5 G.T.)
Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Is the “small” vessel inspected? If so it will have a certificate of nspection that identifies the requuired manning.

Any towing vessel over 26 feet in length requires a licensed Mate or Master. See 46 CFR 15.610. Also, any veesl engaged in assistance towing needs a license. See 46 CFR 15.410.