Capacity served as

I did a topic search because I seem to remember an old thread touching on this…but came up with nothing.
On an uninspected towing vessel, if a Deck Engineer provides a Sea Service letter (719S) with 180 days of sea time (not including the 1.5 time multiplier) how does that work out?
I mean, if said deck engineer wanted to use the sea time to qualify to test for a Mate 500 vs. a QMED.
Is there a formula the CG uses…? 50/50?
Any practical knowledge of this would be EXTREMELY helpful and Greatly appreciated…

[QUOTE=captjamied;145735]I did a topic search because I seem to remember an old thread touching on this…but came up with nothing.
On an uninspected towing vessel, if a Deck Engineer provides a Sea Service letter (719S) with 180 days of sea time (not including the 1.5 time multiplier) how does that work out?
I mean, if said deck engineer wanted to use the sea time to qualify to test for a Mate 500 vs. a QMED.
Any practical knowledge of this would be EXTREMELY helpful and Greatly appreciated…[/QUOTE]

I think you can choose to use it either way, but not both. At least not all of it both ways

Been in the same situation…nowadays, as tugsailor said, you have to pick one or the other. Luckily for me a few years ago I was able to use one segment of time for both engine and deck. Either way if you are using deck/engineer time the nmc is going to want to see percentage specified on deck/engine capacities for what you choose.

[QUOTE=captjamied;145735]I did a topic search because I seem to remember an old thread touching on this…but came up with nothing.
Any practical knowledge of this would be EXTREMELY helpful and Greatly appreciated…[/QUOTE]

They may need the letter to provide an estimate of how much time was spent in each department. CVommon sense (which may be a superpower) says that a “deck engineer” isn’t spending 100% of the time in either department (if they did, they’d be a deckhand or a wiper)

An idea would be for your letter to say as deck engineer you start/stop the engines and make routine rounds, typically spending %??? percentage of your time on deck and %??? performing engine room duties, or give them a number of hours in an average day for each.

[QUOTE=z-drive;145779]An idea would be for your letter to say as deck engineer you start/stop the engines and make routine rounds, typically spending %??? percentage of your time on deck and %??? performing engine room duties, or give them a number of hours in an average day for each.[/QUOTE]

That about sums it up. I had a past letter that specified 50/50 deck and engine…also ‘Soley responsible for engineering duties’ was put in there as well. This was about 8 yrs ago. I used this letter towards my QMED and upgrading my deck license, but at different times. A friend of mine tried this same tactic recently and got shot down…said he had to pick one or the other .so once again depends on the evaluator?

Thanks one and all.
I think I have the information I need to move forward.