Can you Renew early and Upgrade your License on the same CG Application?

Anyone else take an approved ECDIS course prior to it being required on your credential? I recently submitted an ECDIS cert from 2006 that was originally submitted as part of my upgrade app to CM back in 2007. So the REC has/had it in their files. I would think/hope id be grandfathered. Anyone else in this situation???

I took an ECDIS class in 09 and submitted the certificate with my last upgrade in 11. It’s a negative endorsement so it won’t show on your MMC. I called the NMC to verify that it is in my file, they verified so in theory I (and you) should be ok.

Went to Sperry ECDIS class in 2007. Doesn’t expire. CG has it. They said I’m golden.

I renewed my masters lic last summer and it came back with the “not valid for service on ECDIS equipped vessels after jan 1 2016” restriction on my STCW page. Which is why I want it removed or reissued without the restriction. We’ll see what they come back with.

[QUOTE=CharlieFoxtrot;132026]Anyone else take an approved ECDIS course prior to it being required on your credential? I recently submitted an ECDIS cert from 2006 that was originally submitted as part of my upgrade app to CM back in 2007. So the REC has/had it in their files. I would think/hope id be grandfathered. Anyone else in this situation???[/QUOTE]

It depends on whether it was Coast Guard approved in 2006. If it was, it will be accepted. Don’t assume there’s a copy oif the course certificate in your file, send another.

Submitted paperwork to REC Feb 6. Still hasn’t cleared medical screening of which I received the first email on Feb 25. Sigh…

Just got an email “awaiting paperwork” from them, oh god what now. They sound decent on the phone but im still not 100% impressed. And this is why you pay a license consultant.

I called today and got a recording stating that NMC offices were closed due to inclement weather and same message when I called HOMEPORT. So if my license isn’t issued by date of expiration can I still go back to work?

[QUOTE=stevefoster;132173]I called today and got a recording stating that NMC offices were closed due to inclement weather and same message when I called HOMEPORT. So if my license isn’t issued by date of expiration can I still go back to work?[/QUOTE]

No. Read the available information on this. Everyone can renew well in advance of expiry, so a 1 day closure gets about 1 second of consideration.

UPDATE: I turned in my paperwork and paid my money at REC Mandeville on 25 Feb.
I received email from same REC on 7 March that Application had been sent to NMC.
I called NMC today to find out that they had received the Application today 13 March.
STATUS: Today it will be sent to various Eval. Departments, Medical being the first one.
OPINION: 16 days to make it to NMC, not bad considering the weather delays. NMC said the Eval. could take another two weeks of working days.
If that happens I would say BRAVO NMC. That would make the Renewal/Upgrade experience a 34 day evolution. Though I am happy with the results
thus far I am not going to hold my breath. It ain’t over till the fat lady farts…now that’s time to hold your breath…yuck, yuck.

Last Friday I was told RECs are backed up “2-5 weeks” in processing/forwarding applications.

My application was submitted to REC Seattle on Jan 24. It was sent to the NMC yesterday (3/14). Granted, there was a two week period where one of the people there (Ken Heaton, who was very, very helpful) worked with me to get a couple of things straightened out, but it took about 3 weeks from submittal before they ever looked at it and another 2 weeks after receiving the necessary info from me before they forwarded it to the NMC.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;132140]It depends on whether it was Coast Guard approved in 2006. If it was, it will be accepted. Don’t assume there’s a copy oif the course certificate in your file, send another.[/QUOTE]

As always, you info is greatly appreciated.
I have a question. I took an approved Advanced Navigation course in 2008. It was accepted for proof of ECDIS when I applied for my CM license later and again when I got my masters license. The issue I’m having is that I am applying to work for a foreign company (since we have hardly any US flag ships) and they want proof of specifically ECDIS course. Is there any specific NVIC or other written documentation from the USCG that I could show them to prove my course is acceptable proof? They do not accept my MMC (with STCW endorsements) NOT showing any restrictions re:ECDIS.
I REALLY don’t want to have to go take that course over again.
I’ve been searching online all morning and can’t find anything specific. Also tried calling the school but no one there to answer, left a message but the company is herding me into classes.
They don’t accept out AB/lifeboatman or BST training either. So I’m already having to go retake those courses!
Jeeze, I’m all for training, but this is REALLY past the point of ridiculous!