Can seatime on ATB's be unlimited time?

Does anyone out there know if the tonage of the tug and barge of an ATB can be combined to be used as unlimited time to upgrade a license?

I hope not.

The only reason those things exist is to avoid manning regulations. The fewer people who are willing to sell out to work on one the better for the industry as a whole.

this has already been covered extensively in an earlier thread…please run a search under ATB and I am sure you’ll get the answers to your questions there…

good luck to you in your endeavours

btw, I hope everybody is able to take note of the restraint I am able to muster now? Those court ordered anger management electroshock treatments seem to be working…plus I can run a blender without even plugging it in!

“Good luck”? Whats next. Beers with aka Rigdiver?

[QUOTE=Steamer;75109]I hope not.

The only reason those things exist is to avoid manning regulations. The fewer people who are willing to sell out to work on one the better for the industry as a whole.[/QUOTE]

That is an amazing statement. Sit on the beach becuase ATBs are bad for the industry… sign me up for that. The real answer lies in the manning regulations for ATBs becoming more stringent. ATBs are not rule beaters, they are something allowed by the rules. Rules need to be changed to fit what is actually happening.

[QUOTE=Wolfesown47th;75126]That is an amazing statement. Sit on the beach becuase ATBs are bad for the industry… sign me up for that. The real answer lies in the manning regulations for ATBs becoming more stringent. ATBs are not rule beaters, they are something allowed by the rules. Rules need to be changed to fit what is actually happening.[/QUOTE]

I agree that the CG should just come up with a new manning category in the Marine Safety Manual for ATB’s that falls in the middle between a tug and full ship. Of course, the industry would scream and we see what the USCG does when the industry screams at them…they fold their hand.

[QUOTE=c.captain;75117]this has already been covered extensively in an earlier thread…please run a search under ATB and I am sure you’ll get the answers to your questions there…

good luck to you in your endeavours

btw, I hope everybody is able to take note of the restraint I am able to muster now? Those court ordered anger management electroshock treatments seem to be working…plus I can run a blender without even plugging it in![/QUOTE]

Thank you for the restraint. I read the thread where this was beaten to death. I came here looking for facts on this issue. Because after calling the NMC they told me that I had to have an active application in order to have my question answered. I guess there are only opinions here. Thanks for the help.

[QUOTE=c.captain;75128]I agree that the CG should just come up with a new manning category in the Marine Safety Manual for ATB’s that falls in the middle between a tug and full ship. Of course, the industry would scream and we see what the USCG does when the industry screams at them…they fold their hand.[/QUOTE]

To take it a step further i’d have to say the ship stuff could use some looking at. I worked on one vessel that was a ship. That ship was cut down to a barge and mated with a tug. As a ship it carried 23 as i recall. As an ATB it had 13. I worked on it in both configurations. The actual work being done did not change. The ship had more people than it really needed, the ATB had enough to get by. the answer lies in the middle for both types of vessel.

Actually the question had been definitively answered on here in other threads. Facts, not opinions. Search and ye shall find…