Breaking into Temporary Tug Work

Near coastal means within the US EEZ, roughly 200 miles from the US coastline, But not overlapping another countries domain.

Your credentials would be good.

Actually, no documents of any kind, not even an MMC, are required to be the ā€œengineerā€ on domestic vessels under 100 GRT. Lots of fairly good sized tugs under 100 GRT.

An MMC is required on vessels over 100 GRT, but no QMED endorsements or licenses are required to be ā€œengineerā€ on US tugs on Domestic voyages that are under 200 GRT

GRT is often a misleading and phony indicator of vessels size.

Some tug companies, as a matter of company policy require STCW, but just BT. The average manager at a small US tug company thinks BT = STCW. He doesnā€™t know that there is anything more to STCW.

Technically, a licensed engineer is required for US tugs going to Canada, but itā€™s often overlooked on the West Coast.

I believe that the majority of US tugboat mariners do not have any STCW endorsements beyond BT, if that.

There is currently a shortage of qualified unlicensed, or licensed, hands on tugboat engineers that actually fix things. I think youā€™ll find several jobs to chose from fairly easily.

AH, so itā€™s a lot further out that the 12NM that we use for discharges and what not, itā€™s actually referring to the US EEZ. For some reason I thought it would be less than that given other restrictions Iā€™ve read.
Thanks!

Definitely agree with the GRT being a misleading way of documenting a vesselā€™s size. Iā€™ve been on vessels with a relatively ā€œsmallā€ GRT but having a total propulsion power of much higher vessels with twice the GRT.

Problem that I have with the STCW, is that none of mine are recognized as they were undertaken in the Netherlands (Dutch/US Cruise Company so it figures). Despite STCW being an aid to ensure equal qualifications across IMO member states, the US doesnā€™t want to recognize certificates achieved elsewhere. So now I either have to retake my STCW courses in the US for the USCG to recognize them and pay for them myself, somehow convince my company to have me take them in the US and have them pay for them, or sail without them under the US flag for now and see how much time I actually accrue and if it would be worth pursuing them.

Iā€™m going to look into the STCW aspect of it some more and see how much it would realistically cost for me to achieve my STCW courses in Florida/the US and see where I go from there. Unless someone happens to know a friendly USCG examiner/evaluator and their willing to grandfather me in!

Just as a note, Iā€™ve said it before and Iā€™ll say it again, yā€™all are a decent bunch of blokes and way more helpful than some folk Iā€™ve gotten talking to online when Iā€™ve needed help.

Guess the old saying is true that a Seafarer will find a friend in every port.

1 Like

I suggest that you might inquire with your present employer about sending you to some courses at Resolve in Fort Lauderdale. They offer cruise ship specific safety training for the foreign flag cruise lines, and USCG approved STCW courses.

You might also inquire about employment with Resolve in Fort Lauderdale. They have A few salvage tugs. A teaching position at their school, or a QMED position on one of their vessels might give you access to their STCW courses for free.

Appreciate the advice tugsailor. Will see if I can get some more information on the Resolve Center to try and pitch it to the company.

Have an Ocean Ranger onboard just now whoā€™s from Crowley and been talking to him about all this as well, so will be good to get his input and see if he has an idea on a way forward.

Will take any and all help and advice someone is willing to take the time to commit to this thread!

Iā€™m out of date on the Ocean Ranger program, but I heard somewhere that it is going to be shutdown. I think the State of Alaska wants to divert the funding for the Ocean Rangers to other budget priorities. Iā€™m sure about the status of that. I donā€™t really remember what I heard about it.

Hey tugsailor.

You are indeed correct in that the Alaskan Ocean Ranger program has been shutdown and the funds reallocated. This is the last year/season that theyā€™ll be around and so Iā€™m trying to chat with the guys who come onboard all the more to glean as much info out of them that I can!

Shame as this is a great additional gig for a lot of really good guys Iā€™ve met.

So I know this has been asked and posted elsewhere, but Iā€™m looking for some advice on the gear to take with me should I get a temporary Tug gig.

Iā€™m not looking so much at the what to take with me (thereā€™s tons of great posts with breakdown lists) but the where to buy it where it wonā€™t cost me an arm and a leg and I can go try it on beforehand. Iā€™m actually thinking about packing a boilersuit from my current company that I have at home to take with me, but then with regards to foul weather or rain gear, Iā€™m not finding anywhere I can pick some up in Central Florida.
@Tugs knowing youā€™re in the same area as me (to say right round the corner would not be an overstatement!) have you got somewhere you like to pick up your gear for taking out with you?

As always, any and all advice welcome and appreciated!

Usually, I would hit the local flea markets and look for work gear. Living here cold weather gear is few and far between luckily, I spent most of my time running to Florida from points in the G.O.M. so it really wasnā€™t needed.

West Marine, Cabellas, Dickā€™s Sporting Goods, Tractor Supply, really any outdoor sporting goods store ought to have foul weather gear and boots. Some companies, or customers, require steel toe boots.

If you know what you want, Ebay and Amazon can be convenient. Sometimes itā€™s impossible to get anything shipped to the boat, but often itā€™s easy. I use Amazon Prime with free shipping to the customerā€™s dock, harbormasterā€™s office, local taxi company, my favorite pub in town, or wherever.

What you need depends on the job, and the weather, and personal preferences. Some guys shop at goodwill stores.

Beware: some ridiculous tug companies in certain localities, expect you to bring your own pillows, bedding, and towels.

Will see what, if anything, I get back and will go from there. Rural King is just down the road from me and would be worth hitting up I would think.

Thanks!

Iā€™ve always had to wear steel toe boots at work, so I would probably carry that on just as a personal preference.

Feel itā€™s a shame Gander Mountain closed down as that would have been a good place to go as well. Will give the local Rural King a visit and see if they have what Iā€™m looking for, but like you said, depends mostly on what job, if any, I land during my leave. I have no qualms with hunting through a Goodwill store if I think theyā€™ve got what I need and who cares if itā€™s for work clothing anyway?

Iā€™ve heard a lot about the bring your own pillows, bedding and towels, so think a light sleeping bag might be the way I go on that oneā€¦

Afternoon All,

So just as a bit of an update, Iā€™ve been rattling off emails and applying on towing company websites to try and get some temporary work while Iā€™m home on leave next, but donā€™t really seem to be getting anywhere. Iā€™ve had the odd answer back but those have mostly been telling me that they only hire permanent workers. I did have one positive sounding phone call, and Iā€™ve to give them a call back once home and on leave, but thatā€™s been it.

Just level with me. Am I trying to do something unrealistic with trying to get temporary work onboard tugs? Iā€™ve been messaging with another member of the forum who thinks Iā€™d be a good fit for relief work, but donā€™t seem to be getting any bites. Only thing I can think is that thereā€™s either something wrong with my resume or how Iā€™m wording the emails, or thereā€™s just no companies looking to take some temporary worker with a QMED on.

If anyoneā€™s got any advice as to what Iā€™m trying to do here, Iā€™m all ears. Iā€™ve been going through the forums and finding email addresses and what not and sending off where possible. And then had someone in the industry look over my resume and give me some feedback, rewrote the resume and sent it all over again.

Would just like to be able to put a few extra $$$ into the bank account but more importantly, set myself up for the future if possible.

Thanks guys!

Apply in person.

Hey lemurian,

Thanks for the feedback. Would it make that much of a difference applying in person as opposed to applying via email or on their company website? Iā€™m living in Florida, but currently working at sea so not always the easiest for me to get to where some of these companies are based, but certainly wouldnā€™t be against it.

It can, yes. If they need someone short notice, or donā€™t feel like reviewing 100 applications, and youā€™re there in person and highly qualified.

Basically, youā€™re trying to build a relationship with a Port Captain or Port Engineer. Email isnā€™t the best way to accomplish that, imo.

That would make a lot of sense. Will have to see when I can get to knocking on the doors and try and get my foot in the door then.