Bouchard to build another ATB at VT Halter

http://www.coltoncompany.com/newsandcomment/VTHM_to_build_Bouchard_250’_ATB_021313.pdf

Sounds like a cool project. I could be wrong about this but I think up until now Bouchard has mostly old converted semi-ATB’s and maybe one or two modern purpose-built ones. If that is the case it is nice to seem them expand their modern fleet. I always like to see new equipment, no matter who the company is.

I think there new build ATBs were meant to like regular old school tugboats… Thats the way to go i think

At first glance most of their rigs looks very similar other than the mist/Danielle. Some are conversions, some were built as pin boats. They seem to all have real towing machines, push gear sheaves, and upper/lower wheelhouses. They look very alike on the whole. Aka capable of serving as a normal tug. This being a “dual mode” ATB and given the size I’d guess it would be similar to the Jane/Linda lee/Morton 4. The evening star is very new and pinned, but still has the conventional boat stuff. Upper/lower house. Fendering and a now capable of laying alongside something and working is nice, and Bouchard does it right. I’ve seen some conversions elsewhere that look like hammerhead sharks below the main deck level.

I stupidly never realized that Bouchard built their boats that way on purpose. There has always just been something appealing about the look of the non-conversion type ATB’s, as if they just reeked of progress and modernity. I guess there are pros and cons to both.

[QUOTE=z-drive;98774]At first glance most of their rigs looks very similar other than the mist/Danielle. Some are conversions, some were built as pin boats. They seem to all have real towing machines, push gear sheaves, and upper/lower wheelhouses. They look very alike on the whole. Aka capable of serving as a normal tug. This being a “dual mode” ATB and given the size I’d guess it would be similar to the Jane/Linda lee/Morton 4. The evening star is very new and pinned, but still has the conventional boat stuff. Upper/lower house. Fendering and a now capable of laying alongside something and working is nice, and Bouchard does it right. I’ve seen some conversions elsewhere that look like hammerhead sharks below the main deck level.[/QUOTE]

I imagine this new 10,000hp/250,000bbl unit will be a near sister or sister to the “Danielle”.

The “Barbara” was recently pinned and I believe she is back in service. I think she was the last of the 6140hp class to be converted.

Yeah, was thinking 150,000bbl for some reason. Definitely should be similar. Wonder why they say dual mode, maybe just to claim its more versatile than the other units out there.

[QUOTE=z-drive;98787]Yeah, was thinking 150,000bbl for some reason. Definitely should be similar. Wonder why they say dual mode, maybe just to claim its more versatile than the other units out there.[/QUOTE]
All ATBs are dual mode.

They started that way but the term has gotten pretty obscure, it’s something I rarely hear nowadays. Maybe it’s just the archaic terminology they use but what mode other than pushing with pins can an ATB like the Danielle do?

"(2) Dual Mode ITBs are those ITBs where the tug is similar to a conventional tug and is equipped to tow by hawser. The Dual Mode ITB can operate in either the combined configuration or tow on a hawser. "

The term is out of date. I know what you mean though! Dual mode on paper/Cg land, push only in the real world.

[QUOTE=z-drive;98793]They started that way but the term has gotten pretty obscure, it’s something I rarely hear nowadays. Maybe it’s just the archaic terminology they use but what mode other than pushing with pins can an ATB like the Danielle do?

"(2) Dual Mode ITBs are those ITBs where the tug is similar to a conventional tug and is equipped to tow by hawser. The Dual Mode ITB can operate in either the combined configuration or tow on a hawser. "

The term is out of date. I know what you mean though! Dual mode on paper/Cg land, push only in the real world.[/QUOTE]

The “dedicated” ATBs still have to be able to tow the barge on the emergency hawser. For their towing cert, they have to do a bollard pull.

Bouchard builds an ATB right. The dual mode is cause sometimes they move barges alongside & some barges don’t have the grooves for intercon in them. They can do assist work & not worry about tearing up the pins.

[QUOTE=Tugted;98880]Bouchard builds an ATB right. The dual mode is cause sometimes they move barges alongside & some barges don’t have the grooves for intercon in them. They can do assist work & not worry about tearing up the pins.[/QUOTE]
Yes he does. He has some of the best looking equipment in the country. Unfortunately HE comes along with it! Morty sucks.

[QUOTE=cappy208;98916]Yes he does. He has some of the best looking equipment in the country. Unfortunately HE comes along with it! Morty sucks.[/QUOTE]

It really is a shame because it could be a great place to work. I had to learn the hard way of course.

I remember being at a party back in the 80’s that Morty was at. My Old man asked Morty what the average seniority was for a mate on the Tugs. He looked right at us said “About Two Weeks” and laughed. He’s a grade a Asshole.

I worked there for 3 years and managed to get fired only once, while in bed. The Capt. recommended taking a pilot for the Hudson because the mate didn’t have his trips. The word came down to tie the boat up and everyone was fired. Our unemployment lasted for about 4 hours, when I woke up for watch, we were all rehired. Bouchard has top notch equipment, pays well (for tugs), and if you’re a mate who wants to make captain, and can stand the hitches with no relief, you’ll advance rapidly. It’s also a place where you show up to work and pray to god that you get atleast a week in before Morty goes batshit and fires you (to pay bills while job hunting). Every firing horror story that you hear about the place, believe it! Most likely it’s 100% true!