Bone to Pick with the NMC!

[QUOTE=jdcavo;155019]In this scenario, NMC has two options. Assume that the applicant doesn’t want to renew, or ask whether they do or not. The better option is to consider the possibility that the applicant wants to renew and neglected to include the information needed to renew the tankerman endorsement and contact them to make sure you don’t want to renew before they take something away from the applicant. Had you intended to renew and they assumed you didn’t, you’d probably be eqyually if not more upset.

Did you indicate that you did NOT want to renew on the application? If not, see above on what is the beetter and more approriate response.[/QUOTE]

First of all I’d like to thank you for chiming in on this post. I have read many of your responses and respect the wealth of knowledge you bring to the discussions. Unless I’m missing something on the 719-B form, I don’t see anywhere to indicate something like this, nor did I see any mention in any of the application package to include letters of explanation for changes in endorsement status.

Perhaps we can all use this as a lesson learned and maybe the application form can be altered to be more specific on this matter.

Ultimately I still think the real solution to the problem is direct communication with the Evaluator. and if we have to send the applications to the REC Perhaps they could be more stringent with their vetting process so things like this get caught earlier and can be rectified before NMC evaluation.

I still think we should just send the application directly to the NMC though.

[QUOTE=acesouthcoast;155021]Weird. I always thought Boston was one of the best REC’s around. Always had great luck with them and the people were really cool when dealing with unprepared 20 something’s like myself.

I could be forgetting but i think i sent my application for license upgrade directly to the NMC this september. The process was real smooth. I think i was approved in a little over a month which is pretty quick in my experience.

Not being able to speak with the evaluator can be very frustrating.[/QUOTE]

Don’t get me wrong I’m not hating on Boston. Honestly I think I would have been better off to just make an appointment and physically go there with my application info. What I imagine is happening is that they have people coming in for appointments all day along with walk-ins so its easy to put the E-filed applications on the back burner because they don’t have to deal with you directly.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;155015]The applications should go directly to NMC. No one would like this better than the RECs.

All evaluators should be required to provide direct emails.

NMC should have an expedited process, for anyone willing to go in person to NMC, that must be completed in the same day. I don’t care if they charge $500 for it.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%

the process is absolutely ridiculous!

none of us should have to worry about losing our jobs or missing job opportunities because we can’t renew our licenses without it taking 2 months. I’m sure many people will say “well you should have started the process earlier” this is an enabling statement. Should we not stand together as fellow Merchant Mariners and demand more from the USCG.

If I can go into the DMV and renew my drivers license in less then an hour. Why can’t I drive to my REC with a completed Application package and sit down with an evaluator for 20 minutes to review everything and leave with my new License???

Is this to much to ask?

[QUOTE=seadog6608;155112]Actually, if you talk to us old timers we tell you about the days when you walked into the REC, took the test and walked out with the license or Z Card on the same day. Without a user’s fee. Central planning and control is what doomed the soviet union to the compost pile of history.[/QUOTE]

what a great analogy!! Perhaps next time I renew I will include an electronic copy of a George Orwell Novel for the Evaluator to enjoy.