Boats that don't update charts

“I will be more than happy to follow your order Capt just as soon as you can prove how I’m going to keep my license if this boat should ever run aground”

Short and simple, puts the obligation back on him in a manner both of you know he can’t address.

One thing that is nearly as frustrating is when you get on a vessel where they have been plotting seconds as if they were decimal degrees, and extensive re-corrections have to be done. It doesn’t matter so much on ocean charts, but when you get into harbor charts - it can make a big difference. I have gone on board some vessels where buoys were placed on land because the chart was Degrees, Mins, Decimal Mins, and the NTM positions were DMS. One time I took my time off and returned to find notes on the correction cards on my corrections that said “had to move - was wrong” where my moron relief had taken all of my corrections I had converted to D-M-DM and re-plotted the positions as D-M-S on a D-M-DM chart. Needless to say I was not a happy camper.

You need to hip your shipmates on how to read a harbour chart. I don’t recall harbour charts being used in the process of USCG licensing. (Correct?) Testing on them would force better exposure across the licensed workforce.

Not familiar with that term, “hip”. That British? Aussie? And you are correct, they don’t use harbor (haven’t spelled harbour like that since I lived in Toronto) charts for USCG licensing chart plots.

The verification of updated charts is actually part of the SOLAS Safety Equipment Certificate inspection. For US vessels, this falls under the COI. From what I understand, it is also a factor when considering the nebulous determination of “seaworthiness”, although those in the legal world can better address that. I can say that when it comes to insurance matters, if there is a claim and the Vessel can be considered as “unseaworthy”, well that is a bit of a problem.

[QUOTE=Quimby;107524]Not familiar with that term, “hip”. [/QUOTE]

That’s because you aren’t hip! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUFxj59Fa9o (“Harbour” was just for fun.)

How about a clown that says he wont correct the weekly descrepencies to navaids. Such as a light that is IMCH, EXT, Reduced intensity, Missing, Destroyed, Off Station or a number of other possible issues. He says he only does corrections to the Navaids in the Light List when it is an LNM that comes under the section that denotes a correction or position of a navaid.

My understanding of the Regs is that all of the publications that you carry must be corrected to the latest LNM. I feel that a person working on say the opposite rotation would be turning over a vessel that isn"t seaworthy.

Love the ships wheel in the background, however the question remains, "What IS hip?

Working on a different tug for a few days, and Mr.mate, a ex federal pilot didn’t update his charts for the last 2 months. Can’t wait until crew Chang day to jump in his shit with both feet. Plus the light list and coast pilot have not been done this year.

Oh no you di in’t!