Boats that don't update charts

When I got this boat (OSV for small co. on the Bayou), I spent quite some time fixing the charts and pubs that were on here as nobody did the corrections properly. We’re supposed to be getting back a lead captain that has been out on medical leave for a while. From what I hear he gets angry if you start doing any kind of chart correcting or anything of that nature. Is this common? Is this the coon ass way? Being a prior quartermaster in the CG it worries me about the possibility of confronting someone like this. If the boat runs aground or is involved in some other incident and the charts aren’t corrected, my ass would be grass. Also, I’d prefer not to get fired from this boat at least till I get my DP certification. Anyway, just wondering what other folks might think or have experienced. Totally annonymous of course.

what company? I think it depends on the Captain. Some don’t like people “messing” with stuff while they are onboard, some think doing anything extra is a waste of time.

It’s not policy at HOS and it wasn’t policy at Turdwater when I was there. Update them and tell the other guy to kiss your ass. If he gives you any shit tell him you want it in writing from the CG that its not required and you’ll drop the whole thing.

[QUOTE=Quimby;106181]If the boat runs aground or is involved in some other incident and the charts aren’t corrected, my ass would be grass. Also, I’d prefer not to get fired from this boat at least till I get my DP certification.[/QUOTE]

That is not a valid excuse not to confront this issue. Which would you rather have: your DP cert or your license? Your DP cert you can get almost anywhere, you loose your license it’s gone more or less for good. Tell that lead asshole he can go risk his license somewhere else, relief captain or not your boats have up to date charts whether anyone else likes it or not. If that gets you fired from that company then that’s not a company that you had any business working for in the first place, and neither does anyone else.

Fraqrat was 100% correct, tell that guy to shove it.

I think this matter applies everywhere, tell that piece of worthless meat to stick a wrench where the sun dont shine.

They start giving you hell, just tell them that outdated charts and to keep them out dated jepordize the safety of both the crew and ship, and if they fire you, you did the right thing and the company is not worth working for, and be glad you are out.

More worried about ear plugs, safety glasses and steel toes it seems…you can literally get away with only correcting a couple charts too.

You can print the relevant pages of corrections to the charts you carry, and only correct “as applicable” to your vessels size and area of operation if properly and consistently noted. We keep upwards of 50 charts up to date at all times, nobody is breaking their Val doing so either.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;106185]It’s not policy at HOS and it wasn’t policy at Turdwater when I was there. Update them and tell the other guy to kiss your ass. If he gives you any shit tell him you want it in writing from the CG that its not required and you’ll drop the whole thing.[/QUOTE]

What is the logic behind not making it policy? They want to cut costs by not purchasing new charts? It seems to me that if it is required for CG inspections, it should be required at all times. I’m going to have to stick to my principals regarding this matter. If the company doesn’t back me up then they aren’t worth working for.

Some changes are good.

Back in 1988 my Brother was put back to work under the Injunction as a Union Mate for Moran. They were heading up the North River towards Albany and when he asked to Non- Union Captain he was given a Road map and told to deal with it or quit.

is your boat paper free with 2 certified ECDIS?

IMHO The Captains that dont want charts updated are the ones that couldn’t do it so they cant check what you have done either

ECDIS?! I wish. I had a hard enough time getting updated charts for our small chart plotter. Was like pulling teeth with these guys. Apparently, no one in the fleet had noticed the SD cards expired back in 2009.

I guess I’ll have to quote 46 CFR 130.330 if the time comes,

“…each vessel must carry adequate and up-to-date-1) Charts of large enough scale to make safe navigation possible:”.

Just a matter of getting used to the culture down here.

[QUOTE=Quimby;106518]Just a matter of getting used to the culture down here.[/QUOTE]

It’s a losing battle. They’re set in their ways, you’re set in yours, both have advantages and disadvantages, they just don’t see eye to eye. I wish you luck in your endeavors, just don’t take it too hard if you feel like your beating your head against a brick wall. I would simply encourage you to stop that kind of activity before you become concussed. Good luck!

[QUOTE=“Skiing Salem Sailor;106440”]is your boat paper free with 2 certified ECDIS?[/QUOTE]

It doesn’t matter if they have redundant ECDIS’s, they have paper charts so they must be updated.

Why is always said to be the " Coonass " way WTF

Because in most cases “redneck” is a step up.

Man that flash light is sick!

just do the wrecks and obstuction and quit crying about the coon ass way. dont people realize the we “dumb Cajuns” invented this industry?

[QUOTE=Quimby;106518]ECDIS?! I wish. I had a hard enough time getting updated charts for our small chart plotter. Was like pulling teeth with these guys. Apparently, no one in the fleet had noticed the SD cards expired back in 2009.

“…each vessel must carry adequate and up-to-date-1) Charts of large enough scale to make safe navigation possible:”.

Just a matter of getting used to the culture down here.[/QUOTE]

It says that you have to carry them… Doesn’t say who has to buy them. If you must stay in that environment then buy your own and keep them updated. Yes it sucks to pay for something that should be provided but you will be held responsible for sailing without no matter what excuse you give. The coast pilot and light list are available for download and are legal in electronic form with a separate back up, which can also be in electronic form such as a CD or thumb drive. Then all you have to worry about is the tides and currents. They don’t update but do need to be available.

[QUOTE=Quimby;106518]ECDIS?! I wish. I had a hard enough time getting updated charts for our small chart plotter. Was like pulling teeth with these guys. Apparently, no one in the fleet had noticed the SD cards expired back in 2009.

Just a matter of getting used to the culture down here.[/QUOTE]

It says that you have to carry them… Doesn’t say who has to buy them. If you must stay in that environment then buy your own and keep them updated. Yes it sucks to pay for something that should be provided but you will be held responsible for sailing without no matter what excuse you give. The coast pilot and light list are available for download and are legal in electronic form with a separate back up, which can also be in electronic form such as a CD or thumb drive. Then all you have to worry about is the tides and currents. They don’t update but do need to be available.

Boats that don’t update charts generally run aground.