Biden Administration Holds Biggest Offshore Lease Auction Since 2014

so with all the protestations to ween the USA off of crude, the current administration is also pragmatic enough to know that our economy will require crude oil for many decades to come for which I am glad to know.

with crude now in a pretty obvious long term recovery, will this put laid up drillships back to work next year?

3 Likes

Anything is better than coal at this point. What we really need is nuclear power plants that are planned to last for 100 years.
We can just launch the spent uranium into space and let Elon Musk make a show of it.

1 Like

Did you even read the article? Pragmatic my ass, this was all done by the force of the judicial arm.

Without spending too much time thinking about it Elon Musk can probably figure out a way to convert the spent uranium into an energy source to power the army of robots that will be needed to build the first city on Mars.

1 Like

U.S. District Judge Terry Doughty agreed with 13 states including Louisiana which sued the Biden administration to let the lease auction proceed against the moratorium. The Biden administration is currently appealing the ruling, but they couldn’t halt the auction in the process - hardly a pragmatic recognition by the administration for oil exploration. While the executive will get credit for holding a lease auction which they are bound to execute by regulation and the court, it was the judiciary and state governments that ultimately balanced the scales back toward this result. This is only a lease auction, a vehicle for the right of access. The indicator will be investment decisions by private enterprises and at what level. This auction may very well fall flat since the administration has made it abundantly clear that they have a range of other mechanisms, including royalty increases, to subdue new offshore drilling. This administration is no friend to domestic oil production by any stretch of the imagination.

3 Likes

Well, actually, they’re already finding ways to use spent uranium as a secondary fuel source. Nuclear tech really has evolved leaps and bounds. Shame the general populace has their heads too far up their asses to read a fucking book.

Edit: just to be clear, I realize this could be interpreted as an insult. I was not insulting you.

1 Like