Better food

One time we had a Cook that was a Stone Cold Drunk. The Captain had told him if he messed up one more time he was gone. Now, this guy was a really good cook so we all kind of watched out for him.

We were out in Port Jefferson, Long Island N.Y. and we (the cook and me C/E) went up the street for a couple of cold ones. This was years ago when they looked the other way a lot.

So, after having a few beers I dragged the cook back to the boat, it was around 0200 by the time we walked back the the boat.

The cook made breakfast and Lunch then disappeared, i thought he had gone to his room. Well, this was an old boat and had a Oil Fired Stove in the galley. I walked into the galley around 1530-1600 and the stove was ice cold. I found the cook passed out with a bottle. I woke him up and went out to light the stove off. After a couple of minutes the cook was still in his room. I walked in there and splashed cold water on him which got him up.

Anyone that remembers these old stoves will know that is you pump enough fuel into it the top will glow cheery red., which is what his did. Well after getting the stove red hot he thru a Prime Rib into it. All that I can say is that was one of the best pieces of beef that I have ever had.

I wish I could say that the Cook learned his lesson but a little while but got fired a couple of months later.