Best place for a QMED to beat the streets

I have read several places here where people mentioned the best way to get a job is to just go and beat the streets going to the actual offices of all the companies. I have no problem doing this if thats what it takes but if I’m going to I want to increase the odds of success in any way I can. My questions are this…

What city is going to have the most company offices in one area?? I would assume in LA or TX?

How can I get a 'List" of all the companies with addresses?

How long should I anticipate spending there? Is it common to find a position but it wont start for days or weeks to come?

Am I going to be able to get a position if I don’t already have HUET or SafeGulf??

I Recently got my QMED with Oiler, Jr Eng, Refrig Eng, Deck Engine Mech, and Engineman. I have the RFPEW for all (except the refrigerating engineer) and have all my TWIC, Passport, STCW A/III-4 etc… but I think I’m having trouble getting any call backs because I dont have any recent seatime and all my time is from the Navy. I have no problem spending weeks in hostels up and down the gulf coast if it might pay off but I cant afford to end up making this a vacation right now so I need to know this will work. Any ideas or leads will be greatly appreciated…

Search the forum, this exact subject has been presented and discussed several times. Try the area around Houma and Galliano, lots of companies. I stayed at the Apple Inn in Larose.

Try Caldive in Brousssard I herd they are looking for QMEDS

[QUOTE=SailorDaniel;48843]I have read several places here where people mentioned the best way to get a job is to just go and beat the streets going to the actual offices of all the companies. I have no problem doing this if thats what it takes but if I’m going to I want to increase the odds of success in any way I can. My questions are this…

What city is going to have the most company offices in one area?? I would assume in LA or TX?

How can I get a 'List" of all the companies with addresses?

How long should I anticipate spending there? Is it common to find a position but it wont start for days or weeks to come?

Am I going to be able to get a position if I don’t already have HUET or SafeGulf??

I Recently got my QMED with Oiler, Jr Eng, Refrig Eng, Deck Engine Mech, and Engineman. I have the RFPEW for all (except the refrigerating engineer) and have all my TWIC, Passport, STCW A/III-4 etc… but I think I’m having trouble getting any call backs because I dont have any recent seatime and all my time is from the Navy. I have no problem spending weeks in hostels up and down the gulf coast if it might pay off but I cant afford to end up making this a vacation right now so I need to know this will work. Any ideas or leads will be greatly appreciated…[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Jeffrox;48856]Search the forum, this exact subject has been presented and discussed several times. Try the area around Houma and Galliano, lots of companies. I stayed at the Apple Inn in Larose.[/QUOTE]
Thanks Jeff. I did try searching the forum because I read that it had been brought up a few times, but didn’t have much luck. Any idea what the threads were called or suggestions on the search?

[QUOTE=DSV Captain;48868]Try Caldive in Brousssard I herd they are looking for QMEDS[/QUOTE]
DSV, Thanks a ton for the heads up on Caldive. Looks like they are an awesome company and if theres any chance I can get on there or they need QMEDS I’m gonna do my best. I’m going to try and give the Houston office a call today. A little torn on whether I should head to the Texas area or Louisiana but I’m definitely gonna half to go knock on some doors. Leaning towards LA at this point though…

All of the hiring is done in LA along HWY 90 from new orleans to laffeyte.
While the houston offices are the corporate headquarters, they are really just there because thats were the oil companies are based out of. But they don’t soil themselves with the day to day operations.