Best Nautical Movie Scene

When the sailor has stolen the goat with the nametag on its collar:

Whats her name?

Propertyof

On further thought, I must also nominate the scene from Battleship where they bring the Missouri out of mothballing. I was having a hysterical laughing fit while my landlubber friends totally missed the joke. After they pretty much just twisted the key to light her up, the mooring chains falling away in perfect unison fits nicely:

2 Likes

Wow! So much to hate in one little clip! I was in physical pain watching that fellow pretending to cut a chain.

Reminds me of when a fellow Corpsman and I went to see The Hospital (George C. Scott). We were just about rolling in the aisles.

Looking at the comments that go with thaty clip, it appears they hit their target audience. And it ain’t us…

1 Like

It sure ain’t, but it’s plenty bad enough to be good. The whole thing is saturated with this kind of horror.

I loved that movie so much I started a thread about it: You’ve worked on destroyers haven’t you? Are you ready to play with the big boys?

That scene is my favorite.

One of my LEAST favorite… Ensign Pulver.

Tried to piggyback off the success of Mr. Roberts and couldn’t quite do it, despite some fine actors.

Better than that is later on when they drop the anchor at sea speed and power slide a battleship to line up a broadsides. You can’t go wrong with the AC DC playing in the background though!

2 Likes

Yes, the GQ scene was priceless…

“Are you guys supposed to be up there?!”

“YEAH, we were here last year!!”

1 Like

I’ve read all of Patrick O’Brian’s books and enjoyed the movie. Shooting on the water is notoriously time consuming, requires extra resources and is expensive.
Master and Commander reportedly cost 150 million to make. Russell Crowe’s salary alone was 20 million plus back-end money. He pushed for a sequel but likely wanted more money as is usually the case with sequels.
Although the movie was a critical success, it earned less than 100 million domestically. It earned 212 million worldwide but it wasn’t enough to attract Investors, They aren’t interested in critical acclaim alone.
By comparison, the first Pirates of the Caribbean installment, a ridiculously cartoonish piece of crap shot the same year with a budget of 140 million, earned 305 million domestically and 635 million worldwide. An investor’s wet dream and in spite of Johnny Depp’s salary nearly tripling with endless sequels, each one more ridiculous than the last.

2 Likes

To a young kid watching Saturday morning TV while the parents (ahem) slept in, this opening sequence was the most thrilling thing ever filmed…

Interestingly, or maybe not, many years later we discussed this in class at USN Sub School. The instructor said that boat, because it surfaced at such an extreme angle, didn’t retain enough air in the main ballast tanks to float. It sank in a stern down attitude at an alarming rate and almost didn’t recover, gaining control just above test depth.

As a result, main ballast tank vent design parameters and EMBT Blow practices were altered to prevent it ever happing again.

1 Like

I noticed Mr Spock was in the cast…

1 Like

Didn’t the Dallas do that in The Hunt For Red October?

“C’mon Big D… FLY!!!”

I remember the scene…

Apparently it’s only a short swim from Sub Fleet to Star Fleet!

The “Jaws” galley scene where scar comparison between Quint, Hooper and Brody turns into the telling of the Indianapolis story. Farewell and adieu . . .

Maybe not Alan Hale, Sr., but Robert Shaw. Continually dragging his fingernails down our collective metaphorical chalk boards.

The Episode on Love Boat with Heather Locklear in her Pink Bikini th

4 Likes

I just watched a movie called “Ghost Ship” on Netflix. The beginning of the movie has a pretty ridiculous Tug Boat scene. Worth a watch for that alone.

My favorite “The Decks Ran Red With Blood”, James Mason as an aging tramp freighter master with two thugs on the crew, (an oiler and AB?) who try to commandeer the ship and hit on the wife of the chief cook.
Second favorite: “Sea Chase” John Wayne as a merchant captain on a German freighter in an Australian port just as the war 1939 starts and makes a run for it. Best scene, when the Bosun and crew nearly mutiny when the captain wants to chop the lifeboats to feed the boilers and the Bosun utters, the ship is yours but the crew owns the lifeboats, but John chops the lifeboats up anyway.
“Blood Alley”: John Wayne and Lauren Bacall rescuing Chinese in WWII.