Back to Basics

VHF comms that raises doubt… CAPS, you mean like “On course to waypoint…On course to waypoint” as a response to the question of other vessel’s intentions? :slight_smile:

Yep, something like that, any thing that shows the other guy’s insanity, lack of knowledge, lack of situational awareness, and lack of mastering the English language.

Just put down the horn of the VHF and stick to the rules then.
Expect the other guy not to know the rules also,
hey, and don’t forget Murphy’s Law.

Caps

[quote=caps;11870]Just put down the horn of the VHF and stick to the rules then.
[/quote]

Indicates that VHF is not part of the rules, as seems to be generally agreed here, although its practical uses are also acknowledged.

If I may, I would like to ask the question another way as I try to get a better understanding of today’s operations.

In open waters or non VTS/special inland waterway situations, when a close quarters situation is developing and you are the “give way” vessel, do you instruct your officers to call up the other vessel on VHF:
A) All of the time… as a matter of courtesy.
B) Never…just tell them to take timely and significant action.
C) Depends on the circumstances of the case… and what might some of those circumstances be?

What are the general standing orders for VHF use when you are the “stand on” vessel?

As Windjammer so well put it, “good sea manners”. I beleive many a Captain and Watchkeeper have bad sea manners. Additionally many a watchkeeper has being yelled at for taking “early and substantial action” which creates the enviroment to have bad sea manners. How many times do you feel the giveway vessel is playing chicken with you. In my opinion it is up to the Authorites, Owners and Captains to instil a practise of good sea manners and respect of the fellow mariner amongst their crews. On a positive note I think most all of you reading and participating in these blogs have “good sea manners”.

[I]“Indicates that VHF is not part of the rules, as seems to be generally agreed here, although its practical uses are also acknowledged.”[/I]

If I may; use of VHF is mentioned in the Collision Regulations;
one should keep lookout “with all available means”,
which does includes use of VHF, in a broad sense.

In a clear situation at sea, use of VHF is completely besides the point.
I refuse to answer ships who are calling me at a distance of eight miles:
“What are your intentions ?”

Stick to the rules and you’ll be fine all the way.

In short-range situations (port approach, in port, TSS) VHF has its merits; provided you use it within a strict protocol of :

[U]a. Mutual positive identification of both vessels[/U] (thanks AIS !)
[U]b. Clear and non-ambiguous agreement on actions to be taken[/U]
[U]c. Immediate action follows the end of the VHF-conversation[/U]

The dilemma of the stand-on vessel is macho behaviour,
or wrongly understood economics, or plain stupidity.

If you’re in doubt on the other vessel’s intentions,
just give way yourself,
regardless of your own “f[I]eelings[/I]” on the other vessel’s behaviour.
Just be the wiser man…

Did anybody already calculate how many time you loose by giving way ?
We’re talking seconds here, barely minutes, to make an extra manouevre.
So, what’s the point here anyway ?

I, as a captain, encourage mates to take early and decisive action,
including reducing speed in crowdy situations, even as stand-on.

We’re talking a dredger here, in busy waters (momentarily port of Singapore).
In extreme situations, we have to talk our way through dense traffic,

VHF is an inevitable tool.

Caps
[B]www.theartofdredging.com[/B]