Australian Seafarers: Bullying or Decisive Action?

[QUOTE=lm1883;179189]The Portland isn’t the only vessel that was raided. The crew on the Canadian owned CSL Melbourne suffered a similar fate.

One point to consider, “The Donald” has made the topic of offshoring employment and slanted trade deals a centerpiece of his campaign. If he is concerned about 1400 Carrier jobs moved to Mexico, then why wouldn’t he be concerned about the thousands of American jobs that would be lost if the jones act were abolished? It boils down to trust, just like any other candidate.[/QUOTE]

I’d like to know why he hasn’t set the example by bringing his clothing and accessory line home to the US. Currently made in Mexico of all places, and China. Let him put his money where his mouth is.

And to anyone who says why should he, it’s too expensive (yes, I’ve heard that rationalization), well, the man’s a billionaire. He can’t make a few shekels less?

Carrier can file for relief from any Trump-imposed taxation under the NAFTA arbitration system, win, and be untouchable by any US court.

[QUOTE=AHTS Master;179198]I know nothing about Trumps maritime polices.[/QUOTE]

so why on earth did you state this?

[QUOTE=AHTS Master;179155]I think Trump will be 100% behind the American seafarer[/QUOTE]

why will he be so friendly to us? you honestly don’t think he’d bend over backwards to accomodate Massa Gary when he comes to call asking for favors to become even more profitable? Afterall, Trump loathes losers and loves winners and don Vito Chouest is the biggest maritime winner EVER so why would a President Trump not grant such a major winner all his wishes?

[QUOTE=catherder;179209]I’d like to know why he hasn’t set the example by bringing his clothing and accessory line home to the US. Currently made in Mexico of all places, and China. Let him put his money where his mouth is.

And to anyone who says why should he, it’s too expensive (yes, I’ve heard that rationalization), well, the man’s a billionaire. He can’t make a few shekels less?

Carrier can file for relief from any Trump-imposed taxation under the NAFTA arbitration system, win, and be untouchable by any US court.[/QUOTE]

The answer is simply that he can and probably would, provided the American consumers were willing to pay more for “Made in USA” clothing and other goods. Are you??

[QUOTE=c.captain;179213]so why on earth did you state this?

why will he be so friendly to us? you honestly don’t think he’d bend over backwards to accomodate Massa Gary when he comes to call asking for favors to become even more profitable? Afterall, Trump loathes losers and loves winners and don Vito Chouest is the biggest maritime winner EVER so why would a President Trump not grant such a major winner all his wishes?[/QUOTE]

The Donald seems to be a better American than the other assholes running for POTUS, If he likes Gary then he likes me cause Joe/Gary writes the checks and I cash them. When the GoM picks up I will be swimming in some serious money, Scooter.

[QUOTE=AHTS Master;179224]The Donald seems to be a better American than the other assholes running for POTUS, If he likes Gary then he likes me cause Joe/Gary writes the checks and I cash them. When the GoM picks up I will be swimming in some serious money, Scooter.[/QUOTE]

dream on Mr. Little because when “The Don” comes to call on “The Donald” he’ll be asking to get waivers to use Poles, Ukrainians, Indians and Filipinos on his vessels because after all Americans are expensive and hurt profits just like Australians and because of the precedent set down under, President Trump will say “No problem Gary, I’ll sign an executive order granting you what you want because, I as the new president have the power to do that”. Do you know that the President really does have the right to do that without Congressional approval? He is granted many powers he can exercise and abuse as he sees fit to, just like the Government in Australia sees fit to abuse its powers to grant waivers. If el Presidente Trump abused his powers who will stop him? The Congress, by bringing forth Articles of Impeachment? Over a maritime issue? Seriously? The Courts? All he needs to do is ignore them? Maritime labor would howl but not be heard because as a constituency, they are puny when compared to business!

So I ask again, if it can happen like it is in Australia, why should we believe that it cannot happen here as well? All it takes is a leader with a massive ego so big he believes he has powers beyond the law and can make his own rules as he goes. Who does this remind you of?

I guess that you are voting for Hillary ?

[QUOTE=AHTS Master;179227]I guess that you are voting for Hillary ?[/QUOTE]

If I recall, Bill Clinton was a pretty good maritime president and there was significant growth in the industry during his tenure so why would Hillary Clinton not equally be able to foster growth in the industry as well? Likely able to tap many of the same people. Who would “the Donald” bring to Washington to run MarAd? Head of Carnival cruiseline I suspect…

So I ask again, if it can happen like it is in Australia, why should we believe that it cannot happen here as well?

[QUOTE=c.captain;179226]All it takes is a leader with a massive ego so big he believes he has powers beyond the law and can make his own rules as he goes. Who does this remind you of?[/QUOTE]

Barack Obama

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;179229]Barack Obama[/QUOTE]

I guess I stepped into that nasty pile with both shoes right enough and got to go find a garden hose somewhere now

You are always up to your neck, Scooter.

Without venturing too far into the political fray, trump has even outsourced his “wife” position 2 out of 3 times. Just saying. Hillary is just too much of a pest for me, especially with that obnoxious voice: nails on a chalkboard.

[QUOTE=AHTS Master;179232]You are always up to your neck, Scooter.[/QUOTE]

haha…such a jolly little fellow you are

anyway, back to the subject of the Jones Act being subverted unilaterally by a president and his administration. This is exactly what the original article is telling us is happening in Australia at the moment and appears to be getting away with it.

I guess I am a lone voice in the wilderness when I say that such a move is possible here in the USA by a president and that we as a community should arm ourselves against such an incursion.

The Jones Act is small potatoes compared to the damage your president is about do to us. I’m interested to see if Barry will use executive orders to name one of his liberal sycophants as Scalia’s replacement. Nothing to stop them from setting up gun drop offs at planned parenthood clinics. Come trade your guns for EBT cards and free abortions. There is no way the are gonna wait a year to name a new justice no matter how much hand wringing the RINO’s do. The end game is upon us.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;179235]The end game is upon us.[/QUOTE]

MY GOD!..what HORROR hath I wrought?

now this irrational Republican beast will only grow until it destroys every one of our living souls with its lethal vitriol rays

The Donald is on the record as saying that Americans make too much money.

Google it for more hits. He said Americans make too much and are therefore not competitive with the rest of the world.

The exact quote: [B]“We have to become competitive with the world. Our taxes are too high, our wages are too high. Everything is too high. We have to compete with other countries.”[/B]

Now, you can believe what you want to believe, but the man said it himself what he thinks of my paycheck. And yours. Too high. If you still think he’s going to support US seafarers if he can help bring in foreigners, then I don’t know what to tell you. These are his own words.

No thanks. I can’t vote for this guy.

You know good and well he is feeling the Bern.

this is true in many places…
“We have to become competitive with the world. Our taxes are too high, our wages are too high. Everything is too high. We have to compete with other countries.”

Executive to worker wages have the biggest gap in the world in the USA

So you have to make really clever expensive stuff so the wages dont figure in the product price

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;179239]You know good and well he is feeling the Bern.[/QUOTE]

what if I was? Anyone who will roast all the Joe Bosses on a spit is a candidate I am only too happy to support. That’s the kind of “berning” I am all for!

Corporations in the USA have TOO MUCH POWER and need their balls to be squeezed in a vice!

Hillary and Jeb are just more of the same old stuff that does nothing but bumble along, unaware that Mariners even exist.

Trump, Bernie, and Bloomberg (and possibly Cruz) are the mostly likely to shake things up. Things need to be shaken up.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;179302]Trump, Bernie, and Bloomberg (and possibly Cruz) are the mostly likely to shake things up. Things need to be shaken up.[/QUOTE]

Agreed that things need to be overhauled but how they are changed is just as important. What little us American mariners have to protect our feebly weak position could be flushed away overnight by an Administration with Machiavellian motivations. All we have to do is look at what just happened in Australia for Christ’s Sake. Their Parliament upheld their coastwise trade protections only to have a Prime Minister’s government say “FUCK YOU” we’re siding with ALCOA!

I used to think we were safe from some President going rogue on us but today I am not feeling so comfortable at all. The wrong President could tell the US mariner and the unions to go FUCK THEMSELVES and a mariner friendly Congress would be powerless to do anything to stop him. A matter of mariner interest is not one which would be enough to cause a Constitutional Crisis. There would not be an impeachment if a President decided to start issuing waivers like the PM is doing in Australia. We would howl , but we would not be heard! THINK ABOUT THIS BECAUSE IT COULD HAPPEN!