ATB Tonnage

Helo,
i just found this site and find it to be very useful and informative.

I would like to know if anyone could help answer the following.
I am going to try and obtain a 3rd mates license or better. I currently hold a 1600 GT master oceans with master of towing and first class pilot of AGT. I also have a STCW with management rating.

I currently serve as master on an ATB in ocean service and would like to know if I could use the combined tonnage to qualify for a third mate’s license?
The ATB has the flowwing tonnage- Tug is 186 GT and 1077 GT ITC and the barge is 19,073 Gt and 19,271 Gt ITC. I have served as master on this vessel for around 7 years and have 3 years of service as master on smaller ATB’s

From what I am reading from other posts, it seems that I would have a tonnage restriction placed on the license if it was issued. Question is, what would be the limit based on the above tonnage of the unit I am currently serving on? If I interpret some of the other post correctly anything over 10,000 GT would be considered unlimited. Is this corrct? If not I was reading a CFR and it states that 150% of the maximum tonnage on which 50% of the service was obtained will be applied. Would this statement apply to the combined tonnage for ATB’s?

Any assistance with the above would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Look to see how your experience and sea time fit into 46 CFR 10.402and then 46 CFR 10.407 without the barge. Unfortunately, time on an ATB doesn’t usually meet the requirements, it needs to be an ITB.

Once you have a starting point you can usually finagle an avenue to the unlimited time, and thus the license. You mention First Class Pilotage AGT, that may be a better avenue for you than trying to use the ATB.

By the way, I understand your dilemma. I got my 3rd mate by time on a tug over 200 GRT. It is restricted to 2000 Tons but it is still a 3rd Mate ticket.

Thanks for the info. I was not sure if they would include the tonnage from the barge in the restriction for the 3rd’s license. The ATB that I serve on is a push mode arturbar tug.

They may include the combined tonnage of the tug and barge, but as I indicated before, it has to be an ITB not an ATB (the differences of which I am not perfectly clear but there are some posts on the board about the subject).

When they use the combined tonnage they would round up to the nearest 1,000 tons, once the tonnage reaches 10,000 tons it is unlimited. As far as the 150% of tonnage for 50% of time issue. That’s only applicable if you don’t have the necessary time on vessels over 1,600 GRT (540 days). If they were to consider your vessel as an ITB you would have sufficient time without using that portion of the CFR’s.

Well I guess it is worth a shot to see if they would consider the combined tonnage. Hopefully they will. If not I guess I would have to ride as an AB for a while. Thanks for all of your input. The regs make it very difficult to obtain the upgrade.

[QUOTE=Fulltime;27479]Well I guess it is worth a shot to see if they would consider the combined tonnage. Hopefully they will. If not I guess I would have to ride as an AB for a while. Thanks for all of your input. The regs make it very difficult to obtain the upgrade.[/QUOTE]

It definately sounds worth a shot.

So what did you find out about the tonnage cap? I’m in the same predicament.