Asain Carp "Crisis" updates

More than a million people each spring and summer pause to admire Chicago’s architectural wonders and learn the history of this marvelous city with a relaxing boat tour up the twisting Chicago River and onto the placid waters of Lake Michigan.

But with the unofficial start of the boating season just weeks away, operators and owners of the most popular boat tours are bracing for a possibility that once was unthinkable — closure of the Chicago River.

As state and federal officials hunt down the elusive Asian carp, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is looking at the financial and environmental costs of closing navigational locks in Chicago waterways and shutting down the Chicago River to boat traffic as many as four days a week. Working under intense scrutiny from Washington, D.C., and around the Midwest, the Army Corps intends to issue its recommendations this month and hopes to have them in place by April 1.

Some say closing the locks and river is critical to stopping Asian carp from entering the Great Lakes and threatening the region’s multibillion-dollar commercial and recreational fishing industries. But boat operators warn that even a part-time closure would be “catastrophic” for the iconic tour boats and charter cruises that are a summertime staple in Chicago.

“Never in my wildest dreams did I think our company would be so severely threatened by a fish,” said Chip Collopy, president of Shoreline Sightseeing tours, a family-run business that has navigated Chicago’s rivers since 1939.

Collopy said his company has “a lot to lose.” So does Chicago, after spending millions over the last decade to rebuild its riverwalk into a civic landmark.

“We are very concerned that closing the Chicago River to boats might greatly affect tourism and the local businesses that rely on it,” said Kate Sansone, a spokeswoman for Mayor Richard . Sansone cautioned against predicting what the Army Corps will recommend.

Chicago’s tour boats are caught in a win-at-all-costs battle against the Asian carp, a voracious and prolific invasive species that has destroyed native fish populations and disrupted ecosystems on its 15-year march up the Illinois River. DNA research indicates Asian carp are now poised to enter the Great Lakes, a nightmare scenario for biologists who fear the carp could irreparably harm the largest freshwater group of lakes in the world.

With so much at stake, a growing faction that includes six Great Lakes states and several prominent environmental advocacy groups have asked federal lawmakers and the U.S. Supreme Court to force Illinois to close locks neardowntown Chicago and in the Calumet-Sag Channel to try to keep out Asian carp.

Last month, the Army Corps laid out three scenarios where the locks would be closed to boating and barge traffic; the options ranged from closing locks four days a week to less restrictive closures of one or two weeks a month.

Lock closures alone would be a significant blow to Chicago’s tour and charter businesses, many of which travel between the lock near Navy Pier to gain access to Lake Michigan. But Army Corps officials are also debating whether to prohibit boating on the Chicago River when the locks are closed, the Army Corps’ Major Gen. John Peabody said, giving wildlife biologists the space to go after Asian carp using nets, electrical current or even fish toxins.

“No definitive answer has been made yet, although we’re considering these options very seriously,” Peabody told a gathering in Chicago recently. “All options remain on the table.”

Closing the locks is “going to kill everything in downtown Chicago,” said Craig Wenokur, managing director of operations for Wendella boats, which has 140 employees and will begin its 75th year this month.

Wendella operates architectural tours, water taxis and several popular tour rides that take passengers from the Chicago River, through the controlling lock near Navy Pier, and onto Lake Michigan. Wenokur said closing the river and the lock would trigger layoffs at Wendella and at rival companies, reduce services, and likely force some businesses to shut down.

“Closing the lock and river is such a drastic step,” said Terry Johnson of Chicago Line Cruises, who raises questions about the validity of the DNA research and the logic behind closing the locks to keep them out.

“This whole thing is based on speculation and politics,” Johnson said. “We still haven’t found a (Asian carp) within 40 miles of the lake, but we want to shut all this down?”

While the region’s shipping and barge industry would surely suffer the biggest economic hit if locks are closed, the impact on tour boats would be a civic blow to the redeveloping riverfront, said Jim Farrell of the Illinois Chamber of Commerce.

“I don’t think the city would have spent all those taxpayer dollars on the riverwalk if they had any indication of the prospect of lock closure,” Farrell said.

Each of the dozen or so tour boat and charter cruise companies in Chicago employs a few dozen to several hundred people. Some boats host weddings and special events, and they provide tours that rank among the highlights for visitors to Chicago.

“How do you sell this wonderful city to visitors if you have to shut down the river?” Collopy asked. “You spend your life doing this, taking people on rides around the city, and you wake up one day and it could all be gone. I can’t believe it.”

[I]jhood@tribune.com[/I]
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>textSize()</SCRIPT>Copyright © 2010, Chicago Tribune

so what is to be done? allow the lakes fisheries and ecosystems to be destroyed?
of course it’s chicago and as we all know nothing exists outside a 10 mile radius of the city proper…

As a former employee of Shoreline Sightseeing, the biggest passenger boat company in Chicago I think I can objectively say…Wahh. I have never heard such B. S. crying. Much if not most of what the tourism people are saying is bull. It will hurt some as companys are free to reposition boats at will, but the majority of the sightseeing boats either tour the lake or the river not commenly both. Companies like Shoreline will simply have to decide to keep a boat lakeside at Navy Pier or on the river. Tour boat are the minor concern here, the real debate is the environment of the Great Lakes or shipping? If you think the answer is easy, I’m sorry but your an idiot.

American Canadian Caribbean Line operates between New Orleans and Chicago and has a specially designed ship to allow passage under the low bridge to enter Chicago. Closing this lock would effectively put the last remaining western rivers passenger carrying cruise vessel out of business along with the others that have gone out in recent years due to the economy. Without this inland route, ACCL would have to deadhead from Rhode Island to New Orleans and back to operate on the inland rivers. So, yes there IS an economic impact beyond barges to closure of this lock. It would ALSO preclude passagemakers from completing the “Great Loop” cruise that many thousands of recreational vessels have completed over the years.

Great answer Captain Mike.

[QUOTE=Tcaptain;30436]As a former employee of Shoreline Sightseeing, the biggest passenger boat company in Chicago I think I can objectively say…Wahh. I have never heard such B. S. crying. Much if not most of what the tourism people are saying is bull. It will hurt some as companys are free to reposition boats at will, but the majority of the sightseeing boats either tour the lake or the river not commenly both. Companies like Shoreline will simply have to decide to keep a boat lakeside at Navy Pier or on the river. Tour boat are the minor concern here, the real debate is the environment of the Great Lakes or shipping? If you think the answer is easy, I’m sorry but your an idiot.[/QUOTE]

You are obviously trying to start a flame war and I am tempted to participate but since this issue no longer affects me I will only make a few valid points instead of lowering myself to your level.

There is a lot more at stake here than some water taxis in downtown Chicago. All of the proposed measures to “stop” the spread of the carp are little more than pissing in the wind. If the carp is meant to spread to the lakes it will do it whether the waterways are closed or not.

I have not heard one person that is directly involved in this issue address the problem of waterfoul propagation.
Simply put no matter how many electrical barriers, carp screens and lock closures that are imposed, none of this will stop the spread of the fertile carp eggs by the feathers of migrating waterfoul.
So in this way it is already too late and all efforts should be focused on fishing these carp into extinction by turning them into cat food while they are still found in concentration on the rivers instead of waiting until they have the entire Great Lakes system to spread out into.

Awhile back on a similar thread an out of work East Coast fisherman mentioned how if they put a small bounty on these fish or even created a free market for them, which by the way Louisiana fishermen have already started to do on a small scale, then fishermen from all over the country would relocate their boats to the affected areas and within a year or two effectivley have the population under control if not completely fish them out of existance from their non native waterways.

This is the best helpful idea I have heard in a long time as opposed to unhelpful flame posts by people who think they know what they are talking about just running their heads to hear themselves talk.

Captain Mike Bolinger

former Illiois River towboat captain and now unconcerned and indifferent citizen

The Supreme Court on Monday ruled against closing the locks:

[I]The United States Supreme Court will not get involved in a dispute over how to prevent Asian carp from making their way into the Great Lakes.

On Monday, the justices turned down a third request to consider ordering the closure of Chicago area shipping locks. The closure would help prevent the invasive fish from entering Lake Michigan and the rest of the Great Lakes. The Illinois Chamber of Commerce argued the closure would cost the Chicago area economy $4.7 billion over two decades.

The justices gave no reason for the ruling.[/I]

More

This message is in regards to your blog about “scumbag head hunters”, I have recently contacted one named capt. Kelly Sweeney. I dont know if you have heard any horror stories in relation to his business. Furthermore, I would like to have your advice as far as getting a job on a barge goes.

This is my situation, I am 24, I have a B.S. degree in aviation, An M.S. degree in aviation safety and I know how to fly a 737-800. I am an eagle scout and have experience working in harsh weather conditions as I currently have a job that pays peanuts as a moving man in a moving company. In other words, Im not stupid, I finish what I start and I like new challenges and new scenery, As it turns out, airline pilots start out at 18,000 to 20,000 per year. Im not solely motivated by money but my stomach doesnt run on air either. I heard you can make 1200 a week as a deck hand, and twice as much if you do not alternate shifts. What should I do, I dont want to get myself into a shitty situation.
I appreciate your bluntness and ability to keep the bottom line up front.
thanks

PS: I would have simply responded to the proper thread but it was closed.

[QUOTE=itshardtopickaname;56372]This message is in regards to your blog about “scumbag head hunters”, I have recently contacted one named capt. Kelly Sweeney. I dont know if you have heard any horror stories in relation to his business. Furthermore, I would like to have your advice as far as getting a job on a barge goes.

This is my situation, I am 24, I have a B.S. degree in aviation, An M.S. degree in aviation safety and I know how to fly a 737-800. I am an eagle scout and have experience working in harsh weather conditions as I currently have a job that pays peanuts as a moving man in a moving company. In other words, Im not stupid, I finish what I start and I like new challenges and new scenery, As it turns out, airline pilots start out at 18,000 to 20,000 per year. Im not solely motivated by money but my stomach doesnt run on air either. I heard you can make 1200 a week as a deck hand, and twice as much if you do not alternate shifts. What should I do, I dont want to get myself into a shitty situation.
I appreciate your bluntness and ability to keep the bottom line up front.
thanks

PS: I would have simply responded to the proper thread but it was closed.[/QUOTE]

Have you thought about working as an aircraft insurance adjuster or safety consultant? I would think that working as a deckhand (entry level position) on a brown water tug would make all that time and money for your education to be a waste of time. There have to be some openings with someone of your skill set somewhere either in the states or overseas.

ya, this guy in the city might be offering me a job as an “operations agent” at one of the Kansas City downtown airports. I just like to have as many hooks in the water as I can. Insurance adjuster… thats a good one Thanks for the tip. My problem is that airplane pilots get stuck in that “I just fly the plane” mentality.