Are Kings Pointers Completing Sea Service?

Why are these jobs always looking for people if they pay so well?

For me itā€™s the 120 day hitches in Diego. I also have no interest in Tankers.

1 Like

Maybe AMO contracted LMSRs pay more but the MMP (patriot) do not pay well. Probs because AMO has a day rate and MMP has OT. I bet there some MMP pricks out there cutting the OT and be prepared to stay way longer than 4 months Iā€™ve heard horror stories 8 months !

1 Like

The AMO LMSRā€™s are not salary if thatā€™s what you mean? Thereā€™s OT on those ships. 3rds there make over $900 a day in FOS. ROS I believe itā€™s somewhere around $9,400 a month for a 9-5. New contract supposed to be awarded next month but god knows what thatā€™s going to look like.

LSMRs are MSC contract there. I think you are getting confused with the MARAD tripartite agreement for vessels. Those are the FOS and ROS ship wages with FOS being good money. Some LMSRs are now under owned and operated by MARAD but I think a majority are still MSC operated.

I mean they arenā€™t wages that have you rolling in dough, but for a fresh graduate with little to no experience youā€™ve got to be looking at like 60-80k/year working 9-5 compared to still making about 100k/year sailing 6 months. Iā€™m not in love with the lifestyle myself but Iā€™ve made it longer than a KP gradā€™s service requirement and Iā€™m doing quite well for myself. Simply put, there are plenty of jobs that pay well enough for them to sail for the 5 or 7 years or whatever is required.

I respectfully disagree. I think thatā€™s pre-pandemic numbers for shoreside work. More like 80-100 working a 9-5 shoreside, more if youā€™re an engineer. 100k ainā€™t anything anymore. If a 3rd is making 100k they should look for a different ship. I think the bottom line is like 130k now. National average shoreside salary is like above 85k now.

2 Likes

You think the members have power to cut the OT? That is not how it works on Patriot LMSRā€™s. The OT budget comes straight from the Port Captain to the old man only after MSC approves the amount. We submit the projected OT middle of each month. It would be extremely rare to find MMP members blatantly withholding OT money for no reason. This isnā€™t the 90ā€™s.

Its actually 63k. With HCOL areads being in the mid 70s and the bottom states in the high 40s.

While Iā€™ve been casually looking for a sideways move out of a 2/M position Iā€™m finding in screening interviews that most have a budget around 60k for jobs I feel qualified for. The exception being actual shipping companies that pay comparably to a Jr Mate, however Iā€™m keeping my powder dry until Iā€™m serious about making a jump.

Regardless of how itā€™s being cut itā€™s being cut. MMP has a reputation of OT being cut. This makes ā€œgood wagesā€ not so good. If youā€™re not getting 4 hours OT a day youā€™re getting cut. AMO and MEBA donā€™t seem to have this problem while it seems to be a consistent theme with the MMP. And the old man has to advocate for his people. if you donā€™t think thereā€™s people out there that think they are getting have the good side of the company by not advocating for their crew and actually suggesting a reducing their budgetā€¦. Well letā€™s just say this isnā€™t my first rodeo. This isnā€™t the 90s but man shit hasnā€™t changed too much

MEBA and MMP OT are the same budget on the LMSRā€™s. I canā€™t imagine the commercial side is snd different.

Sorry I was looking at average household income.

60k for jobs you ā€œthinkā€ youā€™re qualified for seems pretty low. 2M is mid level management, sell yourself. I guess it really depends on where you want to live/work and what youā€™re doing. But even day boat/limited tonnage jobs seem to pay $60-80k minimum. Shit I saw a fast ferry job in WA state that was paying 120k for a 100t license. There are a lot of interesting drone vessel companies/contracts that need support vessel operators. Shipyards hire deck guys to manage projects and docks. Stevedores and superintendent positions are also good jobs to look at. Think about transitioning to smaller vessels with shorter schedules too.

2 Likes

Can you point me in the direction of one of these jobs? Sailing ainā€™t as fun when you have actual responsibilities.

1 Like

$9400 a month is about what a green OS should be making on a non-union tug, but it wonā€™t be 9-5.

Yeah, thatā€™s the point. Thatā€™s without OT or your 1-2 days vacation a month.

I can point you to LinkedIn, indeed, etc. But largely it is also about marketing yourself and building relationships and connections itā€™s not something that I can do for you. That being said you are going to have to do your this on your off time. You have put in the effort. New graduates are able pull this off all the time with decent salaries.
80k is not hard 100k isnā€™t really either. Teachers can make 50k starting out and you throw in a second job on the weekends youā€™re already at 70k. High school grads with no college degree are selling cars making 100k.

Change is hard and itā€™s the people that donā€™t or canā€™t make the effort that struggle to make the change.

There are a lot of construction jobs, particularly at remote sites, that pay well over $100,000.

Oil field truckers make over $100,000 a year.

If you really want to make money, become a longshoreman. The average salary approaches $200,000.

On the topic of marketing yourself, should union sailors be listing themselves as being employed by the union with the different contracts as positions, or every time we take a new job should It be a listed as a new job?

I dont want to look like a bum who cant hold down a job, even though its the nature of the beast, but my rule following brain says I was employed by a company not the union.

1 Like

Kings who?