Arctic News

Yes it is local weather, but is it also climate change??:

Nope. Just weather. Oh, and fuel to burn.

It’s freezing here. Is it also climate change?

Yes!!!

Nope. Just weather.

What great news! More green is good, isn’t it?

No it is not:

So you say Siberia is terrified of warmth? Really?

Yes, like the Aussies are terrified of the cold.
I don’t think they are too happy about the wildfires, excessive heat and drought followed by floods caused by global warming either. (With some exceptions).
https://www.climatecollege.unimelb.edu.au/recent-australian-droughts-may-be-worst-800-years

PS> Does more CO2 in the atmosphere help growing crops in the desert??

Whilst Siberia is terrified of dreaded warmth, here’s some real terror down south.

As you like to say; that is weather and it is local. Weather changes by days, if not by hours, while climate changes by decades, if not centuries.
The earth has warmed by 1.5 degr. C since the industrial revolution. (not the cultural revolution)
That is unusually fast and caused by man, not only by the regular climate change cycles, no matter if you believe it or not.

Since that was aired the polar vortex has escaped and blizzards have covered the South Island. Ferry services have been suspended between the two islands with 6 to 8 metre swells forecast.
Whitebait are smelt about an inch long and transparent until cooked in a fritter with just enough egg white to hold them together. Unaffordable but if I won a lottery would feature for breakfast.
Paua are abalone but darker than those found in Hawaii. Currently about $300 a kilogram. So similar in price to whitebait and equally unlikely to appear on our menu anytime soon.

Wow! In '84 I paid five GBP or so for a dinner-size mess of whitebait in England. I don’t remember the actual number but I wasn’t eating expensively on that trip.

Whitebait were sold by the glass when I was young. The glass was 8 fluid ounces and the average family was well able to afford them. I don’t know why it was sold by the glass but I think it was because many sellers didn’t have scales but fishmongers also used a glass.

1 Like

The heat is hitting the Artic hard:

Wait for winter. That’ll fix the heat problem.

I wonder what the Arctic shipping season is going to look like this year.

Novatek has already sent three LNG shipments east along the Northern Sea Route and the fourth one is currently underway. A Chinese ice-strengthened general cargo ship Tian En sailing north along the Norwegian coast will probably become the season’s first foreign-flagged ship on a full international transit. It’s quite likely it will be accompanied by a Russian nuclear-powered icebreaker. However, once the ice melts completely between the Bering Strait and the Kara Gates, we’ll probably see the usual mix of Chinese general cargo ships and Panamax bulk carriers transiting between Europe and Asia in addition to a steady stream of LNG from Sabetta and destination traffic to/from the coastal settlements. Perhaps Sevmorput will fetch some fish from Kamchatka if they have managed to fix the propeller…

On the Northwest Passage, I’d be surprised to see anything more than a handful of Wagenborg freighters. If I recall correctly, the COVID-19 restrictions are still in force in the Canadian Arctic meaning that there won’t be any large cruise ships.

HMS Protector sets record for British ships, reaching 80 degr. 41.5 min. North in the Greenland Sea. This was as an ice trial after a major refit:

Her Royal Navy website:

She is the former Rieber ship MS Polarbjørn, built by Havyard in 2001::
https://www.sjohistorie.no/no/skip/859719/
She was on charter to British Survey from 2011.

Polarbjørn (Polar bear) is a traditional name born by many Norwegian seal catchers. The latest of the kind also belonged to Rieber:
https://www.sjohistorie.no/no/skip/851780

She is now Greenpeace vessel Arctic Sunrise:

PS> No she was not designed as a icebreaker, but as an ice strengthened seal catcher. She did not get many seasons in that capacity, though. That industry was killed by Brigit Bardot and the present owners.

Things are happening fast in the Arctic:

If I remember correctly, the 1970s when this study starts, was the time that ‘The Science’ was predicting a devastating ice age … and we should all do something.

We must have done it right, don’t you think? Another disaster averted.