Anyone familiar with OSSA (Offshore Staffing Services of Acadiana)?

Third rate company. They handle catering for companies that want the. Heap eat available cook. For all catering needs I recommend ESS they are based in Lafayette, La for the GoM. They are the best out there, and cook day rates start at 225/ day. The pay there cooks better starting at 12/hr with a guarantee of 84 hours a week. Happy cooks tend for better quality meals.

[QUOTE=Kelley204;68598]Never heard of em. Sounds like a headhunter outfit. Alot of companies are actively hiring. Are you that hard up?[/QUOTE]
Did you just copy & paste my comment???

Dude, thats the way spammers always operate here. Didnt you notice the 6 posts by the same new person, all in a sort time span, that all did exactly the same thing? (Once, one of them copied something out of a different thread than they were posting in and it was completely out of context. Rather funny.)

It happens every few days.

Thanks man, I didn’t even realize.

[QUOTE=tsunami2012;63772]Woodhaven, Listen to C. Captain and Capnklump;

I’ve been a marine cook for 15 years, and OSSA is truly the bottom, the worst of the worst. The cooks I’ve worked with from them are good cooks, all the more reason they are being ripped off. However, without trying to sound racist most are black and though good cooks are not very well educated. They would not interview well with direct hire supply boat HR guys. I suspect, but do not know myself, they may truly be on work release. They are rough around the edges to say the least, but then again so are many mariners. So take their advice and go directly to the supply boat companies. Head hunters are ripoffs too, don’t use them.[/QUOTE]

Fellow cook here. I recently got my MMD (had a Z-card in the early 90’s) and am trying to get on a boat or go offshore. I’m heading to Seattle early next month to take the STCW BST (my expense) so that I’m a bit more employable. I’d love to stay in the Pacific NW but I’m not averse to heading to the GOM(Lived in NOLA for 2 years). How picky is HOS? I’ve got 10 years of cooking experience but have been in Info. Technology for the last 15 years. My hope is to eventually get back on a research vessel and the STCW is a must have for that. Any advice? Should I give HOS a shot before heading to WA? Thanks for your input.

That or ECO. ECO puts their cooks based on their credentials. If you are an os cook you get os pay, an AB cook gets AB pay. I believe if the cook gets a mate license they get mate pay, and a captain license they get captain pay.

They employed the cooks on boats I’ve worked on. That’s about all I know of them.

cock sucker wanted to charge me 14 days for a shitty ass bayou utility boat job.

i told him 4 days.

he said no way.

i hung up

I can’t believe all the negative comments about OSSA. I’ve been using them for 2 1/2 years. They are a top company who treats and pays their employees well. They have provided great service and are easy to work with. OSSA has never sent us a work release employee, somebody must have them confused with OSA (who does use work release emps). OSSA has always sent us top notch cooks. No complaints!