Any Help From MARAD?

I have met MARAD Administrator Chip Jaenichen several times in the past 12 months at high level industry events and many industry leaders mention the “new” MARAD in conversation but it recently occurred to me that I have not seen him speak to any mariners directly, interact with mariners in any significant way or initiate any significant program for US mariners. Unlike most other government organizations MARAD does not send gCaptain press releases or reach out to us in any way. And unlike other government organizations MARAD doesn’t spend a single dime advertising its programs/services (maybe because it doesn’t have any significant programs it wants mariners to know about?) on gCaptain nor has it (or any mariner) posted anything to this MARAD section of the forum all year.

I spend a lot of time talking to people within our industry including many mariners and, while industry shipbuilders and owners mention MARAD a lot, I can’t remember the last time MARAD has come up in a conversation with actual mariners.

gCaptain is writing an article about the mismanagement of MOS, the closure of GMATS and the administrations general neglect of the US Mariner. But first I want to know if we are off base? If you have interacted with MARAD recently, personally benefited directly (not indirectly e.g. via employment on an RRF ship) from MARAD or think we are missing something then please reply to this post.

-John

P.S. Let’s leave USMMA and all state Academys and training ships out of this discussion… we are only looking at what MARAD is doing for seasoned mariners (i.e. sailors currently working aboard ship).

Chip who?? I’ve been a US Mariner since when the Dead Sea was just getting sick and I’ve never heard of the guy.

The only good thing I have to say about Mr. Jaenichen is he’s much better than the last guy!

I have a couple of personal friends who work there but they complain to me whenever I see them about internal dysfunction. Of course I too work for our rich Uncle so I feel their pain. I’m sure that doesn’t help much.

The only recent mentions of MARAD I remember were in these two threads.

http://gcaptain.com/forum/professional-mariner-forum/18533-presidential-candidates-views-jones-act-5.html

http://gcaptain.com/forum/maritime-employment/18496-70-000-mariners.htm

The topic was essentially the MSP program and the point primarily being that even though some mariners have been able to retain employment on a US flag vessel this has turned into a welfare program for “international” holding companies.

Go to the MARAD web site and click on the pull down menu for “mariners” the paucity of information or relevancy is stunning. A 2014 conference on maritime strategy? How timely.

In one of the threads I said: “There is room for a real discussion about how Jones Act eligible ships, MSP, VISA and VTA programs all currently are set up and add up to a maritime policy or the lack of one.”

It is pretty obvious it is looking like the “lack of one”. Yes the government has to prioritize resources and so it is not hard to see why the maritime industry is at the end of the line. We want a viable maritime industry and someone else wants to grow more and more corn in Iowa so that they can add enough ethanol to gasoline to ruin every last carburetor in America. A battle of whose lobbyists are best funded and strongest not what makes practical or long term sense.

IF there were the resources or the will power to re=prioritize - maybe the time has come to reorganize MARAD the way MMS was after the Macondo incident. Rationalize the duties of the USCG and MARAD and divvy them up where they make more sense.

I remember when MARAD had at least a small R&D budget. I was looking on their website for some R&D reports and couldn’t even find old ones let alone any active program for new research! That’s how you stay cutting edge, can the R&D!

Not sure what role MARAD plays for a mariner (other than training at a school if applicable). But I’m sure the problem is not just within the bounds of MARAD. Our congress must take their fair and ample share of the credit for driving the whole country to this point. But that is another discussion.

I’ve not seen MARAD really doing much for the workforce. And I know you said to leave SMAs out of it, but I think a couple years ago he was supposed to be the Commencement speaker at SUNY but he missed his flight and couldn’t make it, he called in via teleconference -_- Even Scott Kelly was able to speak to the graduates by video, from thousands of miles away.

They are just another group of federal bureaucrats. They do next to nothing for the mariner.

They were tooting their horn about how they would be releasing their master plan for bolstering the jones act, but it seems to be a sub-chapter M “someday” item. Get to the point and release this stuff, MARAD. apologies if they already did under the radar.

[QUOTE=john;183470] we are only looking at what MARAD is doing for seasoned mariners (i.e. sailors currently working aboard ship).[/QUOTE]

You don’t have to look far or even closely … MARAD is working overtime for the lobbyists who are well paid to dig a grave for the U.S. merchant marine.

I believe MARAD’s greatest interest in America’s seafaring heritage is demonstrated in its model collection. MARAD appears to take great comfort in knowing what existed before destroying it became politically and personally expedient.

When the last American blue water ship goes dark it will be a MARAD hand on the switch.

I did get a challenge coin from Connaughton. Made in China

:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=celesticomper;183472]The only good thing I have to say about Mr. Jaenichen is he’s much better than the last guy![/QUOTE]

honestly, I believe any wino OS who lived in some dumpster would have been better than Matsuda… At least such a pathetic alcoholic would have know what a ship was!

is this the perpetrator?

[QUOTE=john;183470]

gCaptain is writing an article about the mismanagement of MOS, the closure of GMATS and the administrations general neglect of the US Mariner. But first I want to know if we are off base? If you have interacted with MARAD recently, personally benefited directly (not indirectly e.g. via employment on an RRF ship) from MARAD or think we are missing something then please reply to this post.

-John

P.S. Let’s leave USMMA and all state Academys and training ships out of this discussion… we are only looking at what MARAD is doing for seasoned mariners (i.e. sailors currently working aboard ship).[/QUOTE]

I’m not a big fan of MARAD, since they seem a useless anachronism and since it is in the pocket of foreign shipping interests serving it’s conception of ‘hot’ items, namely national security, foreign-build, sealift to the exclusion of fostering a domestic shipping industry that actually serves national security sealift in a way that favors US business and labor domestically.

But that’s not really a ‘mariner’ issue and would appear outside your inquiry. You’re asking for info, but you’re asking a specific inquiry so you feel you have a hypothesis and are looking for info to support what you suspect. So, what responsibility under law accorded to MARAD for service to seasoned mariners do you feel is lacking? How do you feel US mariners are neglected? US mariners generally work on heavily regulated ships, safety-wise, have the protection of law and court systems far above what their foreign colleagues could hope for, and enjoy wages 4-5x times that of foreign mariners. What’s the problem and why is the government the party to solve it?

[QUOTE=Jamesbrown;183498]I’m not a big fan of MARAD, since they seem a useless anachronism and since it is in the pocket of foreign shipping interests serving it’s conception of ‘hot’ items, namely national security, foreign-build, sealift to the exclusion of fostering a domestic shipping industry that actually serves national security sealift in a way that favors US business and labor domestically.

But that’s not really a ‘mariner’ issue and would appear outside your inquiry. You’re asking for info, but you’re asking a specific inquiry so you feel you have a hypothesis and are looking for info to support what you suspect. So, what responsibility under law accorded to MARAD for service to seasoned mariners do you feel is lacking? How do you feel US mariners are neglected? US mariners generally work on heavily regulated ships, safety-wise, have the protection of law and court systems far above what their foreign colleagues could hope for, and enjoy wages 4-5x times that of foreign mariners. What’s the problem and why is the government the party to solve it?[/QUOTE]

Who says it’s enough to comply with the letter of the law?

And, no I am not looking for evidence to prove our thesis, as stated I am looking primarily for counter evidence. We have a large enough backlog of stories that need to be written and we do not need to spent time and resources chasing false leads.

[QUOTE=Jamesbrown;183498] What’s the problem and why is the government the party to solve it?[/QUOTE]

Considering that the opening statement of MARAD’s public relations website claims:

“The Maritime Administration is the agency within the U.S. Department of Transportation dealing with waterborne transportation. Its programs promote the use of waterborne transportation and its seamless integration with other segments of the transportation system, and the viability of the U.S. merchant marine.”

It is not too great a stretch to expect that MARAD place American shipping, American seafarers, and American interests above those of foreign corporations and their lobbyists. It is not too much of a stretch to expect MARAD to demand that ALL U.S. government cargoes are carried on American bottoms and under no circumstances other than the most extreme emergency should any waiver of any sort ever be issued to permit a foreign flagged or owned vessel to work within the American economic zone or in contravention of coastwise trading laws.

MARAD has failed miserably in its mandate to support and promote the viability of the U.S. merchant marine. Its leadership is shamefully ignorant (as if shame were even in the vocabulary of those parasites) of the industry and serves foreign interests far more than those of the American taxpayer and the American mariner. In my opinion MARAD is nothing more than a den of parasites under the control of profiteers to whom American interests are so far down their list of priorities as to be non existent.

[QUOTE=Steamer;183513]Considering that the opening statement of MARAD’s public relations website claims:

“The Maritime Administration is the agency within the U.S. Department of Transportation dealing with waterborne transportation. Its programs promote the use of waterborne transportation and its seamless integration with other segments of the transportation system, and the viability of the U.S. merchant marine.”

It is not too great a stretch to expect that MARAD place American shipping, American seafarers, and American interests above those of foreign corporations and their lobbyists. It is not too much of a stretch to expect MARAD to demand that ALL U.S. government cargoes are carried on American bottoms and under no circumstances other than the most extreme emergency should any waiver of any sort ever be issued to permit a foreign flagged or owned vessel to work within the American economic zone or in contravention of coastwise trading laws.

MARAD has failed miserably in its mandate to support and promote the viability of the U.S. merchant marine. Its leadership is shamefully ignorant (as if shame were even in the vocabulary of those parasites) of the industry and serves foreign interests far more than those of the American taxpayer and the American mariner. In my opinion MARAD is nothing more than a den of parasites under the control of profiteers to whom American interests are so far down their list of priorities as to be non existent.[/QUOTE]

Well, public relations comments are almost never BS, so I can see your point–from a public affairs perspective.

On your other points, your right. Look what the administrator said the other day on some Small shipyard grants (from MarEx):

"U.S. shipyards produce what are unquestionably some of the best-built vessels in the world,” said Maritime Administrator Paul “Chip” Jaenichen. “The grants awarded today will help ensure that ‘Built in America’ remains an international shipbuilding standard.”

MARAD received 118 grant applications requesting $80 million in assistance, far exceeding the $4.9 million made available for the grants. Since 2009, the Obama administration has provided more than $167 million to help U.S. shipyards and their workers."

$4.9 million—wow, that’s what one MSP foreign-built vessel gets each year.

With the risk of being called “Anti-American”, “ignorant foreigner who know nothing about the American reality” and some not so polite things, I would like to point out a few facts;
USA is the main defender of freedom of navigation, freedom of international maritime trade, level playing field in international business, freedom of travel and many other freedoms. As a “leader of the free world” it is imperative that USA is seen to uphold the highest standard on such freedoms.

USA is a leading member of UN, OECD, NATO, World Bank, IMF and several more international organization and signatory to several conventions, international treaties and free trade agreements. (Although many has not been ratified by Congress)

USA is also claiming to be the upholder of human rights, rule of Law, political freedom, freedom of speech etc. etc.
It also demand that other countries comply with safety rules, the right for the labour force to organize, (incl. seafarers) etc. These are fine words, but are they being followed by deeds?? (Ask Walmart, Amazon and others)

USA is therefore bound by what has been agreed in those organizations, not just what is convenient at the time. This includes the subsidies that can be paid to shipyards and the restriction that can be put on freight and trade.
If the US restrict transportation of goods to/from USA only to US flag vessels, the same may be applied for US flag vessels trying to compete on the world market. Likewise, as US restrict access to their market for foreign Offshore vessels, foreign markets for US flag vessels disappear.

If you think that the ONLY reason there are hardly any US flag vessels left working “foreign” is the high cost of US seafarers you are kidding yourself. To compete you have to meet the requirement for efficiency and ability to carry out the tasks required.

I have noticed that MARAD is talking big about US leadership in shipbuilding and maritime technology;

"U.S. shipyards produce what are unquestionably some of the best-built vessels in the world,” said Maritime Administrator Paul “Chip” Jaenichen. “The grants awarded today will help ensure that ‘Built in America’ remains an international shipbuilding standard.”

That is hardly born out by the fact that anything modern and “cutting edge” coming out of US yards for the last 10 years has been foreign designed and equipped largely with foreign machinery and equipment. If they want that statement to ring true they will have to spend a lot more money on R&D, Within the restrictions set be OECD for shipyard subsidies. (Or camouflage it as “Defense spending” maybe?)

Jamesbrown made the following statement;

US mariners generally work on heavily regulated ships, safety-wise, have the protection of law and court systems far above what their foreign colleagues could hope for, and enjoy wages 4-5x times that of foreign mariners.

Is this based on facts, or just “conventional wisdom” among many here?
In fact all major flag states are regulating their ships according to IMO SOLAS and other IMO conventions. The majority of ships are registered under flags that is on the MOU “White List”, manned by seafarers who hold qualification at least equivalent to STCW’95 requirements, with safety records not inferior to that of US flag vessels.

The owners of these vessels are required to comply with the MLC regulations. protecting the right of seafarers, regardless of nationality. (USA is not a signatory) The biggest problem is the restriction on shore leave and the treat of being pulled up in front of judge for infringement of US laws they are not familiar with when visiting a US port.

As for the wages being 4-5X more for US seafarers is correct for some, but not all foreigners. The wages and employment conditions for most European seafarers are far from inferior, in fact they far exceeds those for Americans. (This is when you look at the total “packet”, not just “dayrate”, which is not the way seafarers are paid, normally)

OK I may have to go into the bunker now, but you are welcome to fact check.

[QUOTE=ombugge;183522]With the risk of being called “Anti-American”, “ignorant foreigner who know nothing about the American reality” and some not so polite things, I would like to point out a few facts; …[/QUOTE]

Sadly, you are pretty much right on target.

MARAD is an agency whose secondary activity is the distribution of lobbyist supplied Kool-Aid to an ignorant public. Its primary role is to satisfy the needs of those foreign and domestic actors and their congressional lapdogs who benefit from the decline of American industrial and maritime activities.

Okay I really debated whether this tangential post really needed to be replied to but the yard work went well and the honey-do list is getting shorter so what the hell.

[QUOTE=ombugge;183522]With the risk of being called “Anti-American”, “ignorant foreigner who know nothing about the American reality” and some not so polite things, I would like to point out a few facts;
[/QUOTE]
What risk? You can always be counted on to use the logical fallacy of “personal incredulity” to imply the US is a hypocritical, conniving nation looking for a way to get around the commitments it has made, to what end? Further some farfetched scheme to take over the world? You say point out a few facts? It is hard to separate the facts from your usual opinion-heavy, fallacy driven arguments. Be that as it may let us continue…

[QUOTE=ombugge;183522]
USA is the main defender of freedom of navigation, freedom of international maritime trade, level playing field in international business, freedom of travel and many other freedoms. As a “leader of the free world” it is imperative that USA is seen to uphold the highest standard on such freedoms.[/QUOTE]
Hmm looks like a fact. Glad to stipulate all this. Lets even say the main defender of “freedom” in general. You may send your contributions to the effort to the US treasury any time you would like to start.

[QUOTE=ombugge;183522]
USA is a leading member of UN, OECD, NATO, World Bank, IMF and several more international organization and signatory to several conventions, international treaties and free trade agreements. (Although many has not been ratified by Congress)[/QUOTE]
All pretty much true but isn’t it just besides the point in the context of this thread? I mean the World Bank’s goal is the reduction of poverty and the IMF is to “foster global growth and economic stability” so what are you saying? We are using these organizations to make and enforce international maritime policy or just to get around it? I don’t think so.

Perhaps lets just consider the IMO, a “specialized agency” of the UN and more pertinent to the thread topic. While we mention the UN lets review the funding:
USA 22%
Japan 10%
Germany 7%
UK, France, China 5%
Australia 2%
Norway 0.85%

Can’t you guys kick a bit more in to the kitty from all that North Sea Oil bonanza?

Anyway, despite the funding allocation there has never been a Sectretary General of IMO from the USA. But fine let’s say the USA is a “leading member”. Looks like you slipped another fact in.

[QUOTE=ombugge;183522]
USA is also claiming to be the upholder of human rights, rule of Law, political freedom, freedom of speech etc. etc.
It also demand that other countries comply with safety rules, the right for the labour force to organize, (incl. seafarers) etc. These are fine words, but are they being followed by deeds?? (Ask Walmart, Amazon and others)[/QUOTE]
What do you base this claim on? Are you saying we “demand” others comply with our rules when in our waters? Does Norway do otherwise? Are you saying the US is not living up to its potential as a world leader and has problems at home? What country does not?

Are you saying that the US is being two faced when the government expresses concern when so-called American businesses move their manufacturing overseas where they can pay workers less and dump pollutants without fear of reprisal but operating in the US means they have to obey labor and environmental laws?

By the way citing Walmart and Amazon as examples of terrible working conditions is either naive or disingenuous. That’s your example that the USA is failing at labor relations? You disrespect all the merchant seamen who despite the passage of the MLC work in miserable conditions and for very low wages.

[QUOTE=ombugge;183522]
USA is therefore bound by what has been agreed in those organizations, not just what is convenient at the time. This includes the subsidies that can be paid to shipyards and the restriction that can be put on freight and trade. [/QUOTE]
Again what do you base this claim on? What specifically is the US doing that leads you to believe they are not bound by the treaties they have signed? Are you saying the US is subsidizing its shipyards? Are you joking? Are you really saying that US yards building US Navy ships and all ships engaged in Jones Act eligible (domestic) trade is a subsidy? Wow, 92 total ships, average age 20.6 years old, median year built 2001 – what a booming market for US yards.

[QUOTE=ombugge;183522]
If the US restrict transportation of goods to/from USA only to US flag vessels, the same may be applied for US flag vessels trying to compete on the world market. Likewise, as US restrict access to their market for foreign Offshore vessels, foreign markets for US flag vessels disappear.[/QUOTE]
Who is saying the US will restrict all trade to and from the US to US flag vessels? Are you deliberately misrepresenting what people are saying about MARAD and the programs being discussed (ah the strawman fallacy)? The US has some pretty modest cargo preference laws that reserves some cargos (government and some agriculture) being shipped overseas to US flag ships. Remember now these are not Jones Act trade eligible ships carrying this cargo overseas. They are probably foreign built and flagged then re-flagged as US so they can qualify for the MSP program and receive an operating subsidy per ship so the US will have a fleet of “militarily useful” ships in time of war or other emergency. Then they fight over the cargo preference cargo and whatever commercial cargo the carrier can rustle up.

The point people are making in this thread is these MSP ships while manned by US crews were not built in the US thereby depriving US shipyards of business and that their ownership though legal does nothing but drain off taxpayers money (the operating subsidies) to foreign / international holding companies instead of creating jobs for Americans (its our tax money after all).

[QUOTE=ombugge;183522]
If you think that the ONLY reason there are hardly any US flag vessels left working “foreign” is the high cost of US seafarers you are kidding yourself. To compete you have to meet the requirement for efficiency and ability to carry out the tasks required.[/QUOTE]
I think you are kidding yourself. This study from 2011 clearly shows that is the operating costs and crew costs being the largest of those that determine why carriers do not flag more vessels in the US. From the report:
“[I]During the industry consultations, the carriers indicated that there are two critical factors that affect their decision to register vessels under the U.S.-flag fleet: the availability of preference cargo, and the operating cost differential between U.S.-flag vessels and foreign-flag vessels.[/I] “

US crews are very capable of operating ships “efficiently” and “carry out tasks required” Are you kidding me? I don’t know what Americans you have worked with that have given you such a low opinion of them. You cannot honestly tell me you think that every seaman who has a STCW document from their home nation all have the same skills and knowledge? I think most people have a relatively high opinion of the Filipino seaman, they go to classes, take tests, do their physicals, etc. Yet they have their limits especially on more modern plants. You are seriously of the opinion that the bare minimum requirements of SCTW makes the best seaman? I am not saying US are the best seaman but you seem to be denying that they are among the best.

[QUOTE=ombugge;183522]
I have noticed that MARAD is talking big about US leadership in shipbuilding and maritime technology;
That is hardly born out by the fact that anything modern and “cutting edge” coming out of US yards for the last 10 years has been foreign designed and equipped largely with foreign machinery and equipment. If they want that statement to ring true they will have to spend a lot more money on R&D, Within the restrictions set be OECD for shipyard subsidies. (Or camouflage it as “Defense spending” maybe?)[/QUOTE]
You are going to have to point me to where the OECD has set restrictions on shipyard subsidies and exactly what subsidies US yards are getting that you feel violate these restrictions. My admittedly limited research on the OECD shows it to be basically an intergovernmental think tank. More into research than regulation. I can not find any such restrictions. I believe the EU did that though and that is how Portugal lost its big shipyard. Maybe at the expense of Northern European yards? I know that for a fact that Lisnave is no more and they say it is because of their joining the EU.

Anyway you are setting up a strawman again. The same notice you quote from above starts out like this:
[I]WASHINGTON – The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Maritime Administration (MARAD) today awarded $4.9 million in grants to support capital improvements at nine small shipyards located throughout the United States. Provided through the Small Shipyard Grant Program, the funding supports industrial modernizations that increase productivity, allowing our Nation’s small shipyards to compete more effectively in the global marketplace.
[/I]
Wow 4.9 million split over 9 small shipyards. South Korea, China, Singapore and Japan must be shaking, not to mention Poland and Turkey. By the way, why is it that so many of these new modern Norwegian vessels are having hulls built in Poland or Turkey (some in Germany too?) then towed to Norway for completion? Why don’t they build the whole ship in those yards? Are they trying to get around some law or something?

Don’t be so hard on Chip. He’s supposed to be a cheerleader for the US maritime industry. So he can be forgiven for a little hyperbole in a press release when he gets to hand out 4.9 million to 9 shipyards!

[QUOTE=ombugge;183522]
Jamesbrown made the following statement;
Is this based on facts, or just “conventional wisdom” among many here?
In fact all major flag states are regulating their ships according to IMO SOLAS and other IMO conventions. The majority of ships are registered under flags that is on the MOU “White List”, manned by seafarers who hold qualification at least equivalent to STCW’95 requirements, with safety records not inferior to that of US flag vessels.

The owners of these vessels are required to comply with the MLC regulations. protecting the right of seafarers, regardless of nationality. (USA is not a signatory) The biggest problem is the restriction on shore leave and the treat of being pulled up in front of judge for infringement of US laws they are not familiar with when visiting a US port.

As for the wages being 4-5X more for US seafarers is correct for some, but not all foreigners. The wages and employment conditions for most European seafarers are far from inferior, in fact they far exceeds those for Americans. (This is when you look at the total “packet”, not just “dayrate”, which is not the way seafarers are paid, normally)[/QUOTE]
This section is just so much hooey. Jamesbrown was making a point that US seamen don’t have it that bad in terms of pay or working conditions and recourse via the legal system so what was MARAD supposed to be doing with regard to US mariners? You missed his point completely and you rather make a big deal about the 4-5 times pay rate and how majority of flags operate to same laws and regulations. Why do you get your feelings hurt so badly, so fast? He wasn’t attacking / challenging the rest of the world. By the way I would argue that while all nations are operating under the same regulations they are not operating to the same standards. You and I can make all the general statements we want to about our home nations fleets but there are bad ship owners under every flag, and incompetent crews as well. Google “magic pipe violations” are these the “infringement of US laws they are not familiar with” you are talking about? Come on, that is MARPOL regulations. These Greeks, Italians and even Norwegian “white list” owners don’t know about MARPOL? Or they just came somewhere that enforces the law and got caught.

With regard to the MLC. This is not the first time you have brought this up and you like to make the point that the US has not ratified this particular treaty. You do know that US flag carriers would still be bound by these requirements when they enter ports of member states that are parties to the treaty. So depending on where they trade they are complying with this convention. Is that not good enough for you? As mentioned above, I’m going to guess that most of our foreign going US flag fleet started out as a foreign flag vessel and is of much more recent vintage than our Jones Act Trade vessels so they probably have all the nice amenities per the MLC. Are you telling me every Liberian, Panamanian etc vessel has complied with all the physical requirements of the MLC? Or are they complying in name only because their country ratified the convention? I honestly don’t know but from the looks of some of them I doubt it. You can stop bringing up the MLC now. Most of South America has not ratified it either so pick on them now.

[QUOTE=ombugge;183522]
OK I may have to go into the bunker now, but you are welcome to fact check.[/QUOTE]
No need to retreat to a bunker, we are all perfect gentlemen here. What you should have gotten from this thread is that the US maritime industry is in a world of hurt. MARAD could not take unilateral action to correct all that is wrong. And it seems the Congress is just not interested or as others have suggested are just lobbied (paid) to look the other way as the merchant marine (beyond our shores) slowly fades away. When money is speech and corporations are people this is where you end up.

[QUOTE=KPChief;183601] When money is speech and corporations are people this is where you end up.[/QUOTE]

So how come corporate doors are not locked for a few years when they are convicted of a crime?

KP Chief wrote"

While we mention the UN lets review the funding:
USA 22%
Japan 10%
Germany 7%
UK, France, China 5%
Australia 2%
Norway 0.85%

Can’t you guys kick a bit more in to the kitty from all that North Sea Oil bonanza?

True, but if you look at the contribution in terms of “Per Capita” the picture is different:
USA 22%; 2015 contribution; USD 655 mill. or USD 1.77 per head
Norway 0.85%; 2015 contribution; USD 23.1 mill. or USD 4.60 per head
So yes, USA contribution is far more total funds, but far less per head.

While looking for these figures I came across another UN/US peculiarity:

Besides, UN employee’s contribution to the NYC economy is not inconsiderate.