Any experience with mailing in app for MMD

Does anyone have any experience or opinions on mailing in a packet to get your merchant mariners credentials? Is it more likely to not get processed qiuckly or get lost. Thanks

We all do.

Use certified mail, return receipt requested.

[QUOTE=gomer;50901]Does anyone have any experience or opinions on mailing in a packet to get your merchant mariners credentials? Is it more likely to not get processed qiuckly or get lost. Thanks[/QUOTE]
I had a good, thorough responce. Went thru regional exam center who in turn varified the application was complete and the forwarded to NMC. The NMC folks e-mailed each time the app., cleared a process until it was complete. A good experience for me. As a back-up, I kept a copy prior to sending anything even tho it was certified.

It’s 2011, email it.

I have heard complaints about the “new” nmc set up, but when I did all my upgrades last year, they were great! Evaluators that know what “the human factor” is, and very fast and friendly. Maybe I got lucky but after years of shit dealings with the cg, I was pleasantly surprised!

Thanks for the quick replies. It would make life alot easier for me to mail in the packet. On a side note my twic card was ready in about a week.

[QUOTE=50thState;50912]It’s 2011, email it.[/QUOTE]

And keep a copy on your laptop. When the NMC tells you that some part of the app is missing (and they will) you can immediately email the parts they have lost.

[QUOTE=water;50921]And keep a copy on your laptop. When the NMC tells you that some part of the app is missing (and they will) you can immediately email the parts they have lost.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. You never have to send in an original. You’ve got a record of exactly what you sent and when (Sent box). You don’t have to rely on the USPS. Pretty much no down side. If you have issues its best to call and talk to the evaluator on the phone, but if they need more documents or are missing something, you can just email it in. Done probably 3 or 4 various applications via email, it works

When submitting via email do we send to an REC or the NMC? I know with snail mail we need to send it to an REC and not the NMC.

I wish I had known of this option before.

[QUOTE=DeckApe;50923]When submitting via email do we send to an REC or the NMC? I know with snail mail we need to send it to an REC and not the NMC.

I wish I had known of this option before.[/QUOTE]

Email it to the REC, any REC, just not all the RECs.

I have had good luck with both email and regular mail. My most recent was via email, and that was as easy as it gets. I will do nothing but email from here on if possible…

The only negative is that the email is not secure. Just like on line job applications that want your SS number, the connection is not secure.

Hopefully that confidential information is not lost in cyberspace.