Alaska senator wants a U.S. deep water sea port in the Arctic

[I](Via Government Security News[/I])

In order to protect U.S. strategic interests as seasonal arctic ice decreases and arctic shipping lanes become more accessible, Senator Lisa Murkowski, Republican of Alaska, has introduced legislation that would require the U.S. secretaries of defense and homeland security to undertake a detailed study of the feasibility of establishing a deep water sea port in the Arctic.

“The ability for the U.S. to project its territorial claims and protect its economic interests in the arctic will become increasingly important,” said Murkowski on the Senate floor, on December 8, as she introduced her bill, S. 2849, the Arctic Deep Water Sea Port Act of 2009.

She called for a two-year study that would determine what strategic capabilities such a deep water sea port could provide, and which geographic location would provide the best protection for a wide spectrum of U.S. initiatives. The study will also explore the resource needs and timeframe to establish such a port.
Read full article at www.gsnmagazine.com

It would cost a bloody fortune to build it and the environmental hurdles to overcome are almost immeasurable but with the vast untapped energy potential of the offshore Arctic, such a deepwater port that Sen. Murkowski is proposing is exactly what is needed in Alaska.

Besides, think of the jobs that such a port would create! A Fourchon of Alaska but only how to keep Gary Chouest from gaining control of it?!?

It would make a great base of operations for the Japanese northern whaling fleet.

[quote=c.captain;22685]It would cost a bloody fortune to build it and the environmental hurdles to overcome are almost immeasurable but with the vast untapped energy potential of the offshore Arctic, such a deepwater port that Sen. Murkowski is proposing is exactly what is needed in Alaska.

Besides, think of the jobs that such a port would create! A Fourchon of Alaska but only how to keep Gary Chouest from gaining control of it?!?[/quote]

Too bad Ted Stevens is gone. They’d have it built next week if he was still calling the shots for good ol’ Alaska.

[QUOTE=mike173;22688]It would make a great base of operations for the Japanese northern whaling fleet.[/QUOTE]
ha ha! Get Sea Shepherd up there, if they can find it “I can’t go to port, I’m already all the way to starboard”

[QUOTE=c.captain;22685]… but only how to keep Gary Chouest from gaining control of it?!?[/QUOTE]

Who do you think would build it?

Capt. Terminel, Port Director. Nice. :cool:

" but only how to keep Gary Chouest from gaining control of it?!?
[I] [/I]
[I]ECO is already up there folks…[/I]

Alaska?? Brrrrr. think I’ll stick to West Central Africa.

[QUOTE=anchorman;22692]Who do you think would build it?[/QUOTE]

Watch Crowley for anything in Alaska…

Easter Bunny?