Doesn’t seem to have made the English speaking press yet.
It would be interesting to know if she was shore power connected and therefore disconnected due to the break off, while for a period it was in blackout condition before starting generators to run mooring machinery, auxiliary services etc.
I’ve seen the lines break i think 3 times. definitely unfun! one was on a tanker!
Sheltered in a ‘safe port’ last winter; had 12 lines out and damaged or broke all of them and pulled a bollard out of the quayside.
I love 0315 on a Sunday morning.
![]()
Here in Auckland a car carrier’s head ropes exerted a vertical force never envisaged when the wharf bollards were installed. The bollard weighing perhaps 300kg went completely over the forecastle and landed in between the finger piers about 200 metres from the ship side.
A Seattle ship pilot showed me this or a similar graph.
From Henk Hensen’s Tug Use in Port,
A simple formula:
From here: https://www.vos.noaa.gov/MWL/aug1999.pdf
I’ve found this useful, YMMV.
This is the formula I brought with aboard “Green Cove” and “Green Dale” -
ATHWART WIND FORCE = 0.52 X 10 X A X W
A = AREA IN SQUARE METERS
W = WIND FORCE IN METERS PER SECOND
I don’t recall the source.
I’ve not seen that one but it can’t be correct in that form.. Wind force increases with the square of the speed so in any correct formula the “W” has to be “W²”.
This one for example from Captain R.W. Rowe’s The Shiphandler’s Guide.
Force in tons = (area/1000) (velocity squared / 18 )
Velocity is in meters per second, area is in meters
Keep in mind that formula came from Central Gulf.
You are correct, thanks. I left the exponent -4 off 10, and the 2 off of W.
Force is in metric tonnes.
“Wind force or pressure increases with the square of the wind speed because the kinetic energy transferred by moving air grows quadratically.”

