Accidents lead to changes in DOF

DOF has two fatal accidents on their boats in 2015, one in Norway and one in Australia:

Both places has strict rules on follow-up after accident and so has DOF internally.
After official and internal investigations were completed the management at DOF looked at what lessons could be learnt to avoid a repeat and to strengthen the safety culture in the company’s worldwide operations.

Thereafter the top Director and the HSEQ Director called each individual Master in their fleet to ask: “What can we help with”?
They wanted to find out if they had made any structural mistakes in their Safety Management Policy and what to do better.

That is how management SHOULD work, not just spend time to find someone to blame and then go on as before, as usual.

has a lot to do with the fact that 99.9% of seaman cant drive a boat
(Outside of the GOM)

@ombugge: Interesting topic, but I can’t read Sysla without a subscription. Are there any open sources on the accidents themselves?

@Heiwa: Is there actually any sort of connection between the subject at hand and your article, or are you just shamelessly spamming your blog in an unrelated thread?

This article originate from BT.no, which is also behind a pay wall. I cannot find any open source.
But maybe you have a BT.no subscription??

Just a little bit of shameless blog spamming! Back in 2016 I wrote about one of the accidents on the Skandi Pacific in my newsletter. The link follows. You have to scroll down a bit: http://www.shipsandoil.co.uk/newsletter-introduction/november-2016

1 Like

They had a fatal accident in Aberdeen a couple of years ago too if I remember correctly.

What happened to my posts here?

Here is a link to the Bahamas Accident report re; fatal accident on Skandi Skansen:
https://www.bahamasmaritime.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/M-v-Skandi-Skansen-Marine-Safety-Investigation-Published.pdf

And the report from ATSB re: accident on Skandi Pacific:
https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2015/mair/322-mo-2015-005/

Unfortunately I’m unable to find an open source to the Sysla article. Here is a google translation:

Summed it up nicely. With regard to operating limits we found we were often working when a nearby airport was shut down due to the weather being outside their operating parameters.

Those limits are somewhat different with the size and type of vessels DOF is operating these days. As is the safety culture that is being implemented by responsible operators.

But I agree, the limits used to be stretch fairly far at time. That is one reason I stopped going up to work in the North Sea as Towmaster, Rigmover or Marine Rep., as I did in the 1980’s.

Standing safely on deck of a rig or whatever and watching the deck crew being washed around on deck of an AHT after I had pressed them into working in marginal conditions, (to say the least) I eventually decided that I could become responsible for someones death just to save some time and $$$ for somebody else.

There was a photo taken on another AHTS down here of the Mate half way up the ladder of the back deck with one hand holding onto the oilskin collar of the very fortunate AB who was floating on his back. It was a black and white photo taken in the late 60’s and the crash rail was under water.