Accident at Edinburgh dockyard

Oh good you’re back. Let me go get my popcorn.

8 Likes

And jet fuel doesn’t melt steel beams

4 Likes

How a structural element fails depends on the length, cross section and characteristics of the material. If the keel blocks were overloaded most likely the wood would crush but the shoring being longer with a smaller cross-section could be more likely to buckle.

2 Likes

Welcome back; I’ve missed my comic relief.

Off your meds again, Heiwa?

Just show me a piece of buckled wood, and we can discuss.

Buckling - Wikipedia

Last time i have studied about Hooks law and material elasticity was 42 years ago so I have sought help of wiki as a rferesher module :wink: . I am not sure if timmber has elasticity and how much, hence I would also require the " SHOW ME TEST" .Without it i will be very reluctant to admit that timber/wood buckles. good to see You back as dissenting minds make any discussion more spicy and rewarding. :wink:

Thanks! Now do and film a laboratory test of the same “wood buckling” and we can discuss further. At what load (N/m²) did you say buckling occurred?

Well, i do not have to do it as I did it 42+ years ago in laboratory and we used only metal samples not wood. And I am afraid You did not catch my drift as i also never heard and/or experienced buckling timber and never seen even a sample of such phenomenon. Having said that , it means I would rather concur with your position on the issue , that timbe/wood does not buckle. Hope that explains :wink: and I will also insist at " show me test" althouugh i am not originally from Missouri :wink:

I like how one expert comment on wood buckling can send the main topic of conversation over the fence in left field.

Are you serious? Anything long and thin buckles if you press hard enough on the ends, unless it is constrained in some way. The slightest bend leads to an imbalance of forces, which increases the bend, which increases the forces. Rinse and repeat. At some point you exceed the material strength.

2 Likes
2 Likes

[quote=“dbeierl, post:52, topic:65694”]
Anything long and thin buckles if you press hard enough on the ends, unless it is constrained in some way.
[/quote
Is keel block long and thin enough to buckle?

THX for the video clip. Very informative .

1 Like

Back to the M/V Petrel and one more expert opinion:

Pictures from NSF:

Both pictures by: unknown

PS> IIRC from docking several times at Keppel’s old yard with ships of different sizes, they used opposing wedges to secure the wooden side supports at the stepped dockside end:

Could they have driven the wedges too weakly??

It’s a feature of very old graving docks built for sailing ships and vessels such as destroyers and cruisers. There is one in Dunedin New Zealand that has a pit that can be opened to drop the rudder out of a sailing ship.