Able seaman unlimited help

Hello I’m new here I searched and searched before asking but for able seaman UNLIMITED endorsement seatime its states AB Unlimited 1080 days deck service on Oceans or Great Lakes. Whats considered ocean so miles offshore, boundary line or is it any body of water. I got the seatime but my gig is all inland less then 5 miles. Thank you anyone that takes time out their day

What is the vessel classed as on your sea letter inland or near coastal . I got mine with time on all near coastal vessels . I don’t think any companies care weather it says unlimited limited or special . Deff won’t get a raise

Depends. You can only have so many AB Specials onboard.

You will in the SIU.

A lot of tankerman gigs want you to have at least a AB limited “I don’t qualify for the limited cause the tonnage requirement on the limited as the unlimited has no to age requirements “Tankerman gig I have now doesn’t require a AB why I was asking about “ocean” cause def got the sea time 12 years or so

“Oceans” is defined in 46 CFR 10.107.

See the definition of near coastal in 46 CFR 10.107. Near coastal is a sub-set of oceans.

Some definitely care. See 46 U.S. Code § 7312.

Hah, I think I just found a flaw in that USC. The statute limits the number of AB limited to not more than 50% on vessels 1600 GRT or greater. Also limits the number of AB special to not more than 50% on vessels 500 GRT or greater.

So does a strict interpretation means on a vessel of any size you could have half the ABs as limited and the other half as special without falling afoul of the rules? No AB unlimited necessary at all?

No you didn’t. See sub-paragraph (e).

3 Likes