Able Seaman and "Extra" Endorsements...(Licensing Question)

Okay, I apologize if this is in the wrong thread, but this thread seemed to make the most sense. This is a HYPOTHETICAL question based on the following scenario.

A new mariner has the following licenses and documents: Able Seaman-Special, Lifeboatman, TWIC card, US Passport, but NOTHING ELSE. This mariner wants to work in the offshore industry. Let’s say for example, crew or supply boats in the Gulf of Mexico’s oil patch out of Louisiana or Texas, but can’t, due mainly to the lack of required courses and experience (think STCW, etc.).

HYPOTHETICALLY, the mariner above comes into a little bit of money. Not much, but for fun let’s say $5,000 or $10,000, MAX.

In order of importance, or practicality, or the actual reality of NEED in order to actually find a job, which 5 or so classes, endorsements, licenses would YOU add? (STCW, rigging, etc…Think outside the box of what this particular mariner would need to actually be able to find a job in the industry.)

Thanks for the input…AND GO…

If he has lifeboatman or AB. He prbly already has BST idk why he wouldn’t!! I guess get RFPNW.

I agree about the RFPNW. Tankerman class opens up a whole new world to you. I believe the seatime is the same for OUPV <100GRT, which would let you work as ‘captain’ of small boats. I have read elsewhere on here, that a rigging certification can help down in the GOM, though that market is getting tight lately.

Okay, so far I’m seeing:

• STCW - Basic Safety Training, or basic training as I think it’s called
    and
  • STCW - RFPNW

BST, or ST (Safety training)

VPSSD. Yes, almost every company is asking for it. It’s 200-300 bucks most places, just get it.

If you can afford, get Advanced fire fighting too.

Here’s a rough list that I came up…What do y’all think??? In order of importance

• STCW - Basic Training (Formerly Basic Safety Training)
  • Maritime Security Awareness (SA)
  • STCW - Rating Forming Part of a Navigational Watch (RFPNW)
  • SafeGulf
  • Rigger
  • GMDSS - Global Maritime Distress and Safety System - General Operator Certificate
  • ECDIS - Electronic Chart Display Information System
  • Dynamic Positioning Systems - Basic Indoctrination
  • STCW - Proficiency in Fast Rescue Boats (FRB)
  • Radar Observer

[QUOTE=GoPSR;148895]Here’s a rough list that I came up…What do y’all think??? In order of importance

• SafeGulf
  • Rigger
  • GMDSS - Global Maritime Distress and Safety System - General Operator Certificate
  • Radar Observer[/QUOTE]

Are we talking about an AB wanting to get an AB job, or an AB with plans/aspirations of being a deck officer? I ask because GMDSS, ECDIS, Radar and DP don’t especially pertain to working as an AB.

[QUOTE=Ctony;148896]Are we talking about an AB wanting to get an AB job, or an AB with plans/aspirations of being a deck officer? I ask because GMDSS, ECDIS, Radar and DP don’t especially pertain to working as an AB.[/QUOTE]

Great question. It would be the second one. An AB that’s looking for an entry level job but that is motivated and willing to put in the work to become a master, etc. I guess the question should be split in two. Which courses/quals does an entry level AB need JUST to FIND a job? And then once working, which courses should they focus on next.

[QUOTE=GoPSR;148898]Great question. It would be the second one. An AB that’s looking for an entry level job but that is motivated and willing to put in the work to become a master, etc. I guess the question should be split in two. Which courses/quals does an entry level AB need JUST to FIND a job? And then once working, which courses should they focus on next.[/QUOTE]

Going by your previous posts, STCW basic safety training and RFPNW are critical to get. Sounds like VPSSD would be good too…however I personally haven’t heard of any companies not hiring an AB for not having that. Also, a lot of tug companies don’t care about RFPNW for their ABs because that’s a requirement on boats over 200 gt.

Most of the GOM companies will put new hires through safegulf etc…but if you got money to burn and wanna be more marketable go get it.

As far as an AB wanting to move up in the future goes, I personally would spend money on getting a mate’s license first (prep course, study material, radar, advanced firefighting, etc.)…then worry about GMDSS and ECDIS after I have the ticket in hand.

[QUOTE=GoPSR;148895]Here’s a rough list that I came up…What do y’all think??? In order of importance

• SafeGulf
  • Rigger
  • Radar Observer[/QUOTE]

While you can find some jobs without any of those things, really ought to haves for an AB looking for work are: BT (BST); VPDSD/SA; and RFPNW (look out duties).

If you plan to seek work in the Gulf, I suggest that you take Rigging, HUET, and SafeGulf, at one of the larger well respected schools that many Gulf companies use, such as FALCK. Some of the bigger companies will just send you to the SafeGulf, HUET, and Rigger courses again at their favorite school, but most of the smaller companies will really appreciate that you already have them.

If you have more time and money to spend on more classes, you might want to consider taking the 3 day PEC Core course (which includes SafeGulf). STCW Advanced Firefighting is a worthwhile course. I don’t think there is much demand for STCW Fast Rescue Boats. When you feel certain that you can get enough seatime within another year to qualify for a 100 ton license, then you might want to consider taking a 100 ton course.

I recommend against an AB with limited commercial experience taking any of those advanced courses that you mentioned. No reputable school would let you take those courses now. Also, some hiring managers might think it odd.

Wouldn’t it be better to get VSO instead of VPDSD, maybe. He’s right though that it’s not worth taking most of these classes before you have any experience, it would just be a waste of time and some of them might expire before you upgrade.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;148903]Wouldn’t it be better to get VSO instead of VPDSD, maybe. He’s right though that it’s not worth taking most of these classes before you have any experience, it would just be a waste of time and some of them might expire before you upgrade.[/QUOTE]

This ^^^

All the mate classes you mentioned will expire (I think in a year) if you don’t already have or get a mate license to put it on.

If you have to take a security class, go ahead and take VSO now, that is is own endorsement and so does not require a license to have it on your MMC. (MITAGS just had a 3 day VSO, CSO, FSO course that is probably not much more than their 3 day VSO course, if you can find something like that it might even be better, just don’t pay much extra for the extra acronyms.)