AB Unlimited (and general AB questions)

[quote=Shellback;22992]
As far as gender goes, we don’t really care, we take everybody [B]<-- I can vouch, they quit bothering deleting my posts a while back…lol[/B]…There is a rumored cross dresser amongst us and a guy who puts his finger through his nose…Lets see another forum top that!:D[/quote]

[B]Yeah shellback used to wear 2 hats too… and correction the other put’s his eye through his finger…via nose…[/B]

[B]Welcome CD[/B]

I’m just tryin’ to scratch that itch!

[quote=Capt_Anonymous;23743]I’m just tryin’ to scratch that itch![/quote]that is one of the most resourceful spacesavers I’ve ever seen. I never get bored of your avatar. :cool:

[QUOTE=Mr 100-ton;23718]here is another way to get ab unlimited as i did, sit for your 100-ton master license, this will get you ab unlimited without the 1080 days, BUT you still have to do your RFPNW to be an ab in international waters, you do not ned to be an AB Unlimited to work on an unlimited tonnage vessel, only an AB

WHEN YOU PUT IN FOR YOUR AB PUT IN FOR YOUR AB UNLIMITED, let NMC tell you if you are qualified or not for the unlimited[/QUOTE]

I was looking through old threads when I saw this and wanted to ask for clarification…how do you go about using your 100 ton master to get an AB unlimited? Any info on this would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance for your insight.

[QUOTE=Shellback;22768]I have no idea why the CFR’s state that for AB unlim, you need 1080 days on deck, oceans/GL while AB limited has a tonnage requirement…It never made sense to me either …[/QUOTE]

See 46 U.S. Code Sections 7307 through 7311a. The CFR reflect the statutory requirements enacted by Congress.

[QUOTE=Mr 100-ton;23718]here is another way to get ab unlimited as i did, sit for your 100-ton master license, this will get you ab unlimited without the 1080 days, BUT you still have to do your RFPNW to be an ab in international waters,[/QUOTE]

MR 100 ton: How long ago was this? I thought the backdoor 100 ton AB loophole was closed a couple years ago??

[QUOTE=WildBill;67414]I was looking through old threads when I saw this and wanted to ask for clarification…how do you go about using your 100 ton master to get an AB unlimited? Any info on this would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance for your insight.[/QUOTE]

I seriously doubt it went down exactly the way he said it did. Most likely he had 720/12 hour days which is equivalent to 1080/8 hour days, but only he knows the answer. Maybe not, or maybe his evaluator interpreted it that way.

In any event AB Unlimited without RFPNW is useless. Which brings me to another point even though this is an old thread, why do people insist RFPNW “restricted to lookout duties” only is useless. It allows you to be issued an STCW, and I have never heard of anyone being denied employment because of it. In a tight economy you might be passed over for someone with the full rating, but you would certainly look better than an OS/AB without it.