Français

Italiano

Polski

Português

Русский

alt

alt

Preferences

I am currently an AB/RFPNW unlimited with all my sea time on vessels from 175GT - 487GT, I have completed all my classes as far as Radar, BRM, Adv. Fire, etc… I didnt really know to much about the OICNW and thats kinda fucking me right now, so i guess my question would be what is the best way to do that? go take the $20k worth of classes? Get on a ship where theres management level STCW officer and do my assessment shipboard, and if i got my 1600 mate OSV ( which i hear is an easier assessment?) what does it take to get rid of the OSV and just have a license with no limitations?

If your company will put you in their Mate OSV training program that is a route to the wheelhouse. You will need to meet all the requirements on the following checklist to have the license without trade restrictions:
http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/credentials/checklists/pdfs/MCP-FM-NMC5-46%20Mate%20500-1600%20NC.pdf?list1=%2Fnmc%2Fcredentials%2Fchecklists%2Fpdfs%2FMCP-FM-NMC5-46+Mate+500-1600+NC.pdf&B1=GO!

Its your choice to take the classes or just get the assessments signed off. Some of the classes may help you with exam prep if you take them right before exam time.

I hold a 500 GRT Master on Oceans, and plan on getting the 1600 Mate/OICNW once I have the necessary seatime. I plan on taking the classes just to add to my base of knowledge.

I did both the 1600 Mate assessments and the 3rd mate unlimited assessments. I found the 3rd a lot easier, nothing more then an advanced RFPNW assessment. The 1600 mate assessments actually had you do things that pretain to the oil field.

That was just me though, I had 20 years of radar experience in the Navy and 15 years of Chart work, so a lot was just showing that I could still do it.

With what you posted it sounds like you would have a restriction on your lic. and would have to be on a boat over 3000ITC to get it lifted. It’s all going depend on how you want to go. Don’t qoute me but I think only certain companies are approved for the 1600 OSV mate assessments also.

thanks guys, i think im gonna find a company that will put me through there mateOSV training and go that route, atleast my pay will double while im working on my OICNW!

The assessments are the same for 500 1600 Ton and third mates unlimited.