AB test question?

I am preparing to take my AB test this month. I have heard different things on what to expect when it comes to the knot tying portion. Some say you do not actually have to tie the knots anymore, instead you just have to identify them in a multiple choice manner. I want to know what exactly to prepare for. So my question is, do you have to actually perform the knot tying in the testing room or is it a visual multiple choice? Thank you.

Just learn the knots and then you are covered either way, not to mention can actually half ass call yourself an AB!

Exactly what he said. People need to stop doing the bare minimum and study everything and actually have knowledge. Questions like this is why most people agree Mariners are deteriorating. Learn the knots and how to tie them.

So what type of vessel have you been working on and haven’t tied any knots??

[QUOTE=Boatjosh;163545]I am preparing to take my AB test this month. I have heard different things on what to expect when it comes to the knot tying portion. Some say you do not actually have to tie the knots anymore, instead you just have to identify them in a multiple choice manner. I want to know what exactly to prepare for. So my question is, do you have to actually perform the knot tying in the testing room or is it a visual multiple choice? Thank you.[/QUOTE]

If you are prepared to tie them you should be able to “identify them in a multiple choice manner.” Up to you if you want to take your chances based on what “some” told you.

[QUOTE=Boatjosh;163545]Some say you do not actually have to tie the knots anymore, instead you just have to identify them in a multiple choice manner. I want to know what exactly to prepare for. [/QUOTE]

it’s important that you know the correct names for the knots that you don’t know how to tie…

If you plan on advancing in this industry then you should learn all the knots, (names and how to tie). You will look back later and laugh at how easy the AB test was.

Obviously, the AB test is very easy. Otherwise, most of the guys that have an AB endorsement would never have passed.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;163581]Obviously, the AB test is very easy. Otherwise, most of the guys that have an AB endorsement would never have passed.[/QUOTE]

If they think that this test is hard just wait until they test for AB/Tankerman and find out they have to be able to sleep for over 24 hours without getting up to piss.

If you can’t tie a knot…tie a lot !

[QUOTE=78BM98;163584]If you can’t tie a knot…tie a lot ![/QUOTE]

Please say you’re kidding. Unless you’re an engineer, then I’d let it pass.

For about 50% of the individuals I have seen with an AB the only relevant question was: The + is positive, the - is negative. When putting batteries in the galley TV remote you put the + in the same direction as the + in the remote. True orFalse.

46 CFR 12.059©
All applicants for [AB] Endorsement ( this applies to unlimited, limited, special, and special OSV ) [I]must[/I] demonstrate knowledge and ability to make principal knots, bends, splices and hitches.
A total of ten knots must be demonstrated within a 15 minute time limit ( this is out of a list of about 20 knots…). Four are required and six additional knots must be chosen from the list.
Applicants must successfully demonstrate seven of the ten knots [I]and[/I] successfully demonstrate the whipping to successfully demonstrate proficiency.
…so the answer is YES, you do have to perform the knot tying in order to get your AB.

The ONLY time I ever had to tie two hawsers together, that Carrick Bend came in mighty handy and it made me look like actually knew what the hell I was doing. The things that you will have to learn…like splicing 8 strand and such, you will find much more difficult if you aren’t completely comfortable with your marlinspike skills…I mean that [I]is[/I] your job.

In my case, of the “six additional” knots you have to tie, I got to pick three of them and the examiner at the REC picked the other three…I have also heard of the examiner choosing two or four and letting the applicant choose the rest…bottom line is you [I]may not[/I] get to choose any, so you had better know them all. A good resource is Ashley’s, but for you greenhorns maybe try Groog’s Animated Knots ( use that Google thinghy for either ).

…and if you were wondering if I was gonna tell you which knots they are, you got lucky, I dug out my old marlinspike seamanship assesment, so here they are:

One eye splice OR short splice, strands must be whipped REQUIRED you get 15 minutes to do this and they provide the whipping line
Bowline REQUIRED
Square Knot REQUIRED
Clove hitch REQUIRED
Sheet Bend REQUIRED
Carrick Bend All the rest may be one of the six additional demonstrated and you get another 15 min.
Rolling Hitch to tie them along with the required knots.
Stopper Hitch
French Bowline
Stage Hitch
Running Bowline
Bowline on a Bight
Fisherman’s Bend
Timber Hitch
Catspaw
Figure Eight
Barrel Hitch
Round Turn and Two Half Hitches
Double Becket Bend

I hope this helps.
BTW, if you think this is difficult…try tying four knots underwater on a single breath like we had to do in BUD/S.

They don’t give you a book to study and learn the knots “step by step” for you not to use it. I know, I’m going through getting my AB now. The book is SPECIFICALLY knots, bends, hitches, and splices.

[ATTACH]4251[/ATTACH]

…sigh.

http://www.animatedknots.com/

[QUOTE=captjamied;163680]…and if you were wondering if I was gonna tell you which knots they are, you got lucky, I dug out my old marlinspike seamanship assesment, so here they are:
[/QUOTE]

See page 37.

Ill be honest… What’s kicking my ass is the Kevlar rope. I can’t splice that to save my life… Can do everything else with my eyes closed, but can’t do the Kevlar for shit…

Kevlar doesn’t mean shit, 12 strand 8 strand, what is it?

All we have on the vessel is 8 strand… Trying to learn by research and YouTube… No one to teach me how to do it.

[QUOTE=josh.reid24;163715]All we have on the vessel is 8 strand… Trying to learn by research and YouTube… No one to teach me how to do it.[/QUOTE]

…sigh.

http://www.samsonrope.com/Pages/SpliceInstructions.aspx