AB Seaman without going to maritime school?

Hi everyone, My name is Royce Richards, age 39. I have raised my family and now have a son at Maine Maritime Academy.I am looking at making a career change and am curious as to professional mariners opinions. First question,In order to become an AB (tankerman, etc) is it possible to do without going to maritime school?I have been looking at the vessel operations and technology program to unable me to test for mates up to 200 ton.Would I be able to find employment being 39 years of age and new to the industry?I have worked on the ocean for about 8 years as a sterman aboard commercial lobster fishing but we only sailed out 30 miles at most. This sea time would not count towards an AB cert.? correct? Thank you so much for your help, Royce Richards

this is great post. thanks for your valuable info sharing here.I visit all time in this website, lot of in formation in this website.

stop ringing in ears

motorcycles

political science definition

If you can document the sea time, then yes it will count towards any rating or license.

Congratulations! Nice to have the satisfaction of having your son better himself.

I am looking at making a career change and am curious as to professional mariners opinions. First question,
In order to become an AB (tankerman, etc) is it possible to do without going to maritime school?

Absolutely possible, and probably more desirable.

I have been looking at the vessel operations and technology program to enable me to test for mates up to 200 ton.
Would I be able to find employment being 39 years of age and new to the industry?

The dilemma is, you will spend the same amount of time going to school, as opposed to going to work and accruing seatime and studying on your own. One topic, you may be able to study on your own, you may not. this will be a huge part of making a decision whether you go to a formal school to get your license. I do quite well just studying the exams via textbooks, and can discipline myself to study. A lot of people who go to school need the structure of school. That would be up to you to decide.

I have worked on the ocean for about 8 years as a steerman aboard commercial lobster fishing but we only sailed out 30 miles at most. This sea time would not count towards an AB cert.? correct?
Of course it is ‘counted’. but, the size of the vessel may not be big enough to get an AB. But you should apply to the REC in Boston and see what they say.

Get a job on a boat make money while you are studying and learning your trade all at the same time. work you way up.

Thank you all for your help, I received some very useful information and I really appreciate it.
I am setting up a date to get my TWIC, then MMC card. I am going to enroll in the STCW.
I will document sea time using the Small vessel Sea Service Form from the fishing boats I was on ( up to 75ft).
Do I have a to take an AB exam through the uscg?
Also, If I do not have the “right” sea time for an AB rating where would I look for jobs on large vessels/tugs/etc in order to get the time I need?
Thanks again,
Royce R

AB info link

The seatime has to be on a specific tonnage vessel. what was the tonnage of your lobster boats? I am guessing it is not over 100GT. That may pose a problem.

Have you found a license school near you to ask for info? Do you live in ME?

the seatime does NOT have to be on a specific tonnage vessel (unless maybe under 15gt?) I had enough seatime through a lifetime of commercial fishing, (none of which were over 60GT), to receive my AB Unlimited. It’s the days, not the tonnage. 12 hours days should count as a day and a half.

Yes, I am from Machias, Maine up the coast from Bucksport. Thank you all for your help.
I looked at a 100 ton masters/mate course that will include AB course for additional fee ( $995 master/mate 100ton Plus $199 for additional AB)
I think I would also Have to take BST(STCW) not sure yet if included in course.
After completion my certificate would meet written requirements of USCG.
If I have only served as a deckhand on F/V’s do you think I have enough knowledge to enter a 100 ton Master/Mate course.
I know the basics of navigation, radar, gps etcbut i was never a captain.
Thanks Again…RoyceR

The 100 ton master course teaches you all that.

The only AB to have tonnage requirements is AB Limited, which needs a certain amount of time over 100 grt. AB Unlimited had no minimum tonnage.

[QUOTE=RoyceR;63216]…I will document sea time using the Small vessel Sea Service Form from the fishing boats I was on ( up to 75ft).[/QUOTE]

The form can only be used on vessels up to 100 gross tons. You will need to have it signed by the owner or master. If that’s not possible, send in anyway and be prepared to provide additional suppoorting evidence of your service.

[QUOTE=RoyceR;63216]…Do I have a to take an AB exam through the uscg?[/QUOTE]

There is an exam requirement, but you can take a Coast Guard approved course of about one week instead of the test from the Coast Guard. The course has to be specifically approved to replace the exam for AB. You can find a course here: http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/approved_courses.asp , there are not many options in New England. You will also need Lifeboatman/STCW Proficiency in Survival Craft for AB. It sounds like you will not be able to meet the in-service requirements for this due to the nature and age of your prior service, so a course might be your only option. Use the same site I noted to find courses.

You are all so very helpful, I appreciate it.
I am going to take an approved Master/mates 100 ton course along with the AB at the same time. I will have to take a lifeboatman BST/PSC class as well.
I have applied for my TWIC and starting MMC process.

What should i expect for employment opportunities and how long of a wait?? Pay for AB? , etc
Hopefully I can get to work in order to pay for the schooling!!!
thank you,
RoyceR

AB work will require RFPNW for most jobs. You can start as OS on bigger boats to get the time/tonnage and assessments to work as AB or use your 100 ton. I would go as OS and stay off the small boats if I had it to do all over again. Cooperate ladder is more of a step stool.
Good luck

If you can document the sea time, then yes it will count towards any rating or license.

I have over 360 days on ocean, should be able to get AB special…What is normal pay for AB entry level, thanks again

250-350 a day

Depends where you work, GOM west coast, east coast, on tugs on ships…etc etc etc. I would agree with kfj, high high end 350 (probably pretty rare to find that) low end 200 or so, average around 250.

Its been a few years, but when I tried for my AB from OS “uninspected fishing vessel under 5000gwt” (4980gwt), I was told that my 12 hour days counted as only HALF-days (6 hours)! Sure enough, the REC showed me the CFR.

I was mad and depressed to find out I had to make a few more fishing trips to finally satisfy the sea-time requirements, mostly because I was ready to get out of the fishing industry and move on to bigger and better ships.

Things may have changed, or “Your REC May Vary”.

IMHO I learned more on the deck of a Bering Sea fishing boat than any other vessel in my 20+ year maritime career. Doesnt seem fair to only get “half-credit”.

[QUOTE=David W;63224]the seatime does NOT have to be on a specific tonnage vessel (unless maybe under 15gt?) I had enough seatime through a lifetime of commercial fishing, (none of which were over 60GT), to receive my AB Unlimited. It’s the days, not the tonnage. 12 hours days should count as a day and a half.[/QUOTE]

atwood oceanics offered my friend 70k as an OS. just saying. AB’s with TO are making at least 350 a day i believe.

then yes it will count towards any rating or license.