A serious effort at cleaning up Pacific garbage patch

One guardian so far – Atlantic article is by the same author as the earlier post.

1 Like

More than one for sure:

I came across the article from twitter; here is the thread from Dr Jacquelyn Gill

Sometimes, the wrong choice is worse than nothing. Well-meaning people with lots of resources often skip a crucial step before deploying their technological solutions: listening to those who actually work in these systems.

1 Like

“A little learning is a dangerous thing;
Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring :
There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
And drinking largely sobers us again.”

3 Likes

Red Green says just a little duck tape and that plane will be as good as new.

2 Likes

IMG_5157

I think that it has now a sort of parabolic shape instead of the U shape on this photo. Looks pretty vulnerable.

IMG_5159

The shape would be a catenary would be my guess, I’m not sure.

Google agrees evidently:

Towed booms assume a catenary configuration similar to a suspended chain

1 Like

I already carefully worded it as 'a sort of parabolic".

IMG_5162

The boom seemed to outrun the plastics and other garbage and as a result it ended up in the ocean again. With light plastic material this is a bit hard to understand but okay. The boom is slowed down by a sea anchor and the plastics are collected now where they want them to be. Also the diameter of the boom is increased as the waves and wind moved a lot of the garbage over the previous lower boom.

It is still in an experimental state and the present configuration has been hastily put together to test a number of options. Next year a totally new designed boom set will be installed said Dubois of Ocean Cleanup.

just put the boom around asia and you will catch all the plastic before its gets to the Pacific

2 Likes

At least now they are being honest about where it goes.

1 Like

It’s odd that I’ve never seen anything where the eastern patch is indicated on the map.

???

Source: Every single ocean has a massive swirling plastic garbage patch - Vox

All the Gyres you can eat:

Source: GYRES NORTH ATLANTIC OCEAN PLASTIC CLEANUP PROJECTS

I can think of one river in Malaysia that probably creates a new Pacific rubbish patch every year

2 Likes

Thinking about it doesn’t mean it is going away.
Any good ideas for how to SOLVE the problem?
(Complaining does not help)

Ever see a drain in asia with a screen at the end to capture the plastic?
Ever see a policemen stop and fine somebody for dropping any rubbish?
Ever see education on TV about dropping rubbish?
Its Asia its dirty due to the people

1 Like

Yes. Tell the Third World idiots to stop throwing everything everywhere, or stop selling the goods packaged in plastic. It comes down the rivers and into the sea. There are beaches covered with plastic.

1 Like

Always check more than one source:

1 Like

Have you ever been to Singapore? (Or Japan?)

Refr. above reply to Tugsailor.

Panama islands outside the canal. I’ve seen wind rows of plastics 3 feet deep on the beach.

You won’t see that in the US. Not Norway either.