A Little History Leason on Companies Caring

I have been reading all the threads on this company or that company screwing their employees and thought I would pass this along.

If you ever find a company that REALLY CARES about it’s Employees, stay there even if the pay is a little lower.

Some of you are probably not old enough to remember the 333 Stick in N.Y. Harbor. I was a Chief for Turecamo and was the first Union Man to be put back to work under a Court Injunction.

After a couple of months they cut our pay down to what the Non-Union men were working for. For me that meant over $100.00 a day pay cut. For a Deckhand the cut was more than that. Turecamo found that quite a few of the Union men decided to stay as a job is a job. They were now faced with having double crews on some of the boats. One Deckhand (Non-Union) was pissed off and was ranting about how he had been there for over 9 months and they should have cared about all of the hard work that he had done. I looked at him and said “Look at the Union Deckhand” I then pointed out that that the Union Deckhand had been with the company for well over 30 years and had been one of the chosen few that worked on the Owners Yacht. I went on to say that if they did not give a shit about him why would they care about him. I don’t think he ever got it, that all companies care about it their bottom line.

Next I was working with a Non-Union Captain that had a real problem with any of us Now Ex-Union Men on HIS Boat. He had a real problem with the amount of money that we made prior to the Strike. After about a week of listening him go on about how there were all kinds of men “the Gulf Down in the Gulf” that would just love to come up and work, I asked him what he made a day. He said $195. I looked at him and asked if these men Down in would work for $185, He said of course. The look on his face was priceless when I said that Why do they need you if there is someone that would work for less. He looked at me and admitted that he had never thought of that.

I am out of the game and retired due to an injury but I am really glad to see what the Gulf is paying and think that anyone that works at sea deserves every penny they get. But I can not worry that sooner or later there will be (for the lack of words) a bidding war. Once anyone decides to offer to work for a little less to get a job the pendulum will start swinging the other way.

So, if you have read all of this, I hope that you guys make as much money as possible (and safe as much as you can) because as much as I hate to say this it will happen because all of these companies Do Not Give A Shit about who is on their boats as long as they can crew them. This has happen way too many times over the years. My last company always had these posters say how we were the Best of the Best and held seminars where the Cheerleaders would sit there and eat up every word. These guys that believed the B.S. were shocked whenever they saw how people were treated whenever it was time for a lay off. I always believed in giving the best days work that I could and worked whatever hours that were needed to get the job done. I was just always aware of the fact that it could end tomorrow.

I hope that Everyone working Offshore Stays Safe.

Words of wisdom, I think the best thing is to always have a plan “B” just in case.

It does not matter what business a company happens to be in. they exist to make money, and that is their only reason for existing. No one has to like that fact. But we do have to admit that fact.

[QUOTE=seadog6608;129185]It does not matter what business a company happens to be in. they exist to make money, and that is their only reason for existing. No one has to like that fact. But we do have to admit that fact.[/QUOTE]

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA… Men.