500/1600 Mate Prep Courses

I have research this forum and all i can find is old, out of date post on this subject. Those anyone know of a good prep course or instructor for the 500/1600 mate test on the East Coast.

Thanks

MPT in Ft. Lauderdale is the best in my opinion… It’s a three week course but they do prepare you for the test. I would not recommend Chesapeake Maritime Institute. I don’t think their curriculum is up to par. Not sure about Mid Atlantic but I’ve heard good things.

I did my 500/1600 prep at Mid Atlantic in Norfolk. I passed the first time around. My instructor, Ed Horton, was a big help. There were a few guys working on 3rd mate in there as well. But I got all the one on one time I needed.

Lapware and good study habits is all you need. Don’t waste your money on a prep course they will just be printing out lapware tests for you anyway. Also buy the Murphy books, light list / coast pilot reprints tide and current reprints, bowditch II 1981, nav rules, a book of maneuvering boards, copies of charts 12221 12354 13205, plotting tools and again lapware. Upgrade U is an iPhone app that is also very useful.

Thank you all. I currently have the books and im using the Upgrade U to practice the easy stuff like Deck General and NavRules. I talk to Ed Horton last time I was in Mid Atlantic about the prep course. They recommend me at least 3 weeks at $1000 per week. I was thinking to do 1 week for the terrestrial and use the rest of the money for the monthly subscription in Lapware.

[QUOTE=CGtug;164943]Thank you all. I currently have the books and im using the Upgrade U to practice the easy stuff like Deck General and NavRules. I talk to Ed Horton last time I was in Mid Atlantic about the prep course. They recommend me at least 3 weeks at $1000 per week. I was thinking to do 1 week for the terrestrial and use the rest of the money for the monthly subscription in Lapware.[/QUOTE]

T-Nav and C-Nav are the only difficult modules. Lapware is the best study aid available and enough for preparing for the other modules. You may be able to find a local tutor that might be better and cheaper than taking formal courses for T-Nav and C-Nav. Many people swear by Ernie Casey at Casey’s Celestial Navigation for the C-Nav course, but I don’t know Ernie. I have taken STCW courses at both Mid-Atlantic and MPT. Both were good, but personally, I liked MPT and Fort Lauderdale a lot better. There are lots of cheap flights into Fort Lauderdale, and MPT has a good rates at local hotels and private rooms.

MPT is excellent , Capt Andy will teach you all you need to know and then some. He has up to the minute Intel from his students taking the test in Miami.
This guy is sharp. And if you think the Cnav and Tnav Are the toughest modules, you haven’t seen some of the new Nav Gen and Deck Safety tests.
That’s my $.02

I was very happy with the instructor CG at MPT in Fort Lauderdale. Wouldn’t have prepared any other way.

Thats true as well but its nice to have an expert who can explain something to you just a few steps away.

Does lapware let you study only the modules you need to pass?

I guess it comes down to how you learn. I just tested 6 months ago, I only did self study and I passed all portion of the exam on my first attempt. I also know a couple guys who took prep courses and only learned how to waste $3000. I have heard good things about MPT though. Either way a 3 week prep class alone will not prepare you for these exams, there is no possible way to learn all the material in only 3 weeks. I would say for someone who feels they need a prep class that you should utilize lapware for a couple months prior to the class so you can really know your weak areas and have the instructor focus mainly on those sections or problem types.

I passed the 500/1600 exam with seasources.net… $50 for 6 month subscription. I probably wasted a lot of time studying material I didn’t need to though, so I guess lapware is worth the money if it lets you narrow it down to the specific modules…

[QUOTE=fishyluke;164957]Does lapware let you study only the modules you need to pass?[/QUOTE]

Yes it does. Keep in mind that the general consensus on that is don’t count on it though. For example, seemed to me that the nav general module practice exams were a bit off from what you actually see in the exam room. That was the case at least a few months ago.

I’m a ways out from needing a to take any kind of examination, but I was curious about the nature of these learning aids, as to get a head start.

Do these learning aids (LAPWARE, Hawsepipe, etc.) only consist of the question/answers from the USCG NMC pdfs, or do the tell you what and why something is (or point you to a free reference)?

I seem to learn better when I know why something is a certain way versus just knowing the answer.

If they are merely a regurgitation of questions/answers from the USCG NMC pdfs, I feel confident I could write rudimentary program in Python, or MATLAB, that does the same before I would need it.

Lapware has step by step solutions/instruction for complex problems. It will also tell you where to look up the answer on most questions.

MITAGS has a great license prep course as well and they usually test on campus.

capt joes had the best examples of all the problems worked out. but practice tests were horrible.Used my hawsepipe thumb drive for practice tests and looked up how to work problems on Joes. bought both.Passed no problem. had a little help on t-nav from some notes a friend loaned me from capt bruces class at fletcher. Same info was on capt joes cd though.

Can Lapware be used on a smartphone such as a Samsung galaxy S5?

Nope. …but Upgrade U can run on an iPhone.