3/M unlimited looking to transition from Ships to Tugboats

I mean, I’d love New England. I realized I live near Boston but can describe harbors in Japan more than I can describe Boston harbor. But honestly. I’m not picky. I’m more concerned with pay, benefits, and culture. Not saying I’m expecting fat pay checks and benefits, but if there’s 10 companies paying people $10 and this one company pays $6, probably would go with one of the other 10.

I’d prefer non-union. I’ve been looking at companies like Vane Brothers, Genesis Marine, and Moran. Boston Towing would be cool, but I was told that it’s a lot of day boats and not really competitive for a green mate trying to get his TOAR.

You’ll probably get the most tugboat money in New York, or the Pacific Northwest. The Chesapeake, Carolinas, Florida, and Hawaii usually pay less. The Gulf has some good pay, but mostly less than NY.

If you want short hitches try the East Coast or Gulf. If you don’t mind long hitches, try PNW.

In New York, take a look at Haugland, Rose Cay, Stasinos, etc.

In Seattle, check out Crowley, Foss, Dunlap, Western Towboat, Boyer, etc.

In the Gulf and Florida, Crowley, Signet, Tradewinds, Genisis, etc.

In California and Houston , Curtin has been advertising good pay.

The best places to get boathandling and bargehandling experience are usually dump scows and stone and gravel barges.

Right now, almost everyone is hiring almost anyone.

Something to think about. ATBs are nice and comphy but you can’t get a full TOAR check-off. Also, you won’t gain too many tugboat skills. There’s plenty of opportunities out there. I’ve been retired 13 years and still getting calls. Good luck!

1 Like

If you don’t mind tanking the barge, Crowley ATBs is probably looking for people.

1 Like

Go take the diamond course and once you have the completed TOAR in hand you will get a mates job within a week on the ocean going tugs. They are hiring anybody with a TOAR and pulse right now. I did this 6 months ago sent out 2 apps and got called the next day.

2 Likes

This is what I would do. I would go to Diamond Marine, get your TOAR completed there just to expedite it, try to get on with Centerline as AB-Tankerman or a number of other outfits, with the understanding that you will be moved up to Mate as soon as you receive the endorsement, get your 30 days of observation while working as AB/Tankerman, get your sea time letter and submit for the Towing endorsement then push for a Mate/Tankerman spot as soon as you have it.
Most of your work will be tanking the barge while at a terminal and driving while underway but you could be in a decent Mate position, maybe even on an ATB within 6 months or less. Good luck.

Here’s another way to find small regional tug companies. Go to Marine Traffic.com and note boats operating in your desired area. Then look the name up on Tugboat Information.com. They will have details on the boat, age engine etc and the owner. Then look at the owner page, brief details on the company.

You don’t hear much about small companies like Ward in Deltaville Va, grain barges Chesapeake Bay. Stevens Towing probably the most active ICW operator between New Jersey and South Carolina towing scrap to the steel mill in Tunis NC. Both with good boats and locally considered to be good jobs.

I don’t know anything about New England but there are probably plenty like them. Guy that wants to learn and willing to work will get good experience with a small operator. Respected company experience good stepping stone.