Transatlantic lines (TAL) current situation

The crew can confirm the SOVC onboard. There should also be complaint procedure in place.

1 Like

Without offering a lot of specifics, Geysir has been plagued by morale, lack of pay and horrific on board conditions. They have had a very rough go of things.

1 Like

Not at all. My regular job is union but I work side jobs that are non-union. And while I have been treated well by the non-union employers (mostly universities), the difference is notable as far as pay and other issues are concerned.

I had visited Geysir some eight or nine years ago. Things weren’t great back then, either. A really nice bunch of guys, but little money for repairs. I got the sense they were doing what they could with the proverbial bailing wire and chewing gum, with a little Red Hand thrown in for good measure. They still had that run to the Azores, I think, so they were still getting paid, but the pay wasn’t great.

According to marine traffic, it took them a month to cross the Atlantic. Slow steaming to conserve limited fuel? A lot of drifting?

Hopefully, they are in contact with MEBA and getting some help.

I’d love to hear the specifics on this one.

I would have to assume that Class is very much aware of the situation. In my days at ABS, we would be called for vessels that had SOLAS and other deficiencies and work to rectify them. As far as solvency, certain vessel owners/operators would be marked “Red Flagged” as being deficient in other payments and required an estimate of fees to be paid before attendance.

Trying not to disturb the Red Hand. . . . gotta go slow.

1 Like

They use Nippon Kaiji Kyokai or Class NK now.

Yes, that’s right. Thanks.

So, what’s going on now with TAL?

Unconfirmed word is that the Geysir was arrested today.
US Marshall’s??

1 Like

well there it is…a gyppo two pot pissed stained company finally meets its reward. there will be more warrants filed now and unless Gudmundor Kjaernested has some secret cash source he can call upon, TAL should be as good as dead and buried. The ships will ultimately be auctioned off and the pittance they get from buyers will not even get close to paying off the seamen and secured creditors. They’ll have to take what they can get from the Court when it decides how the proceeds are parceled out.

let this be a lesson as to how NOT to form and operate a US flagged shipping company. Hopefully Schuyler Line can get some more work now to fill the vacuum. They are what TAL should have been.

4 Likes

I am very pleased to see that MEBA is actually representing its members/pledges.

It probably won’t be too long before some vendor arrests the Transatlantic in Long Beach and MEBA piles on.

TAL will probably file for Chapter 11 to stay the lawsuits, continue to operate, and cram down the debts. Post-bankruptcy creditors can get priority on repayment which may encourage the owners or others to lend money to the company to keep it running. Management will want to continue to operate to keep paying itself as long as possible.

TAL may be close to dead , or this may just be a bump in the road for it.

TAL has $18 million in valuable government contracts. They seem to know how to really milk Uncle Sam’s sugar tit. This may be a good opportunity for someone to buy out the current owners and turn the company around with better ships and management.

That’s awesome. I hope they arrest the Transatlantic before they scram to Mexico.

Geysir is arrested in Jacksonville until they pay unsettled bills. They owe the crew 2 to 3 pay periods. With many pending 835s. There is a meba lawsuit in the courts for crew not being paid. The cargo Might be pulled.

1 Like

Geysir is officially for sale in Jacksonville

It’s probably been listed for sale for a while now. We know for a fact that the Transatlantic has been on broker sites for a while.

Now there is literally no sane person on the planet who will buy a ship with liens recorded against it. Ships in distress end up being auctioned by the US Marshall with all liens removed. The trouble is that it is extremely unlikely that a ship in the condition of the GEYSIR would bring even a $100k bid which will be far less than all the claims against the vessel. Hopefully the crew comes out close to whole but nobody else will see a penny.

What needs to happen is a criminal investigation of where all the millions collected by TAL have gone over the years however I doubt there would ever be one. However I very much doubt Gudmundor will ever need to do anything again in his pathetic lifd yet still live quite nicely. I wouldn’t be surprised one bit if this was all planned out in advance!

1 Like