Lifeboat As Rescue Platform?

"not something I would subject anybody under my authority to when there was another, safer method of rescuing you. Which they did."
So… you would stand on your deck and take pictures of the person drowning, on a sunny day, (the 30 knot wind was an exaggeration, and they were 4 - 8 foot waves)?? What ‘safer method’ did they employ??? BS. It was by the grace of God that the wind died for 30 seconds and the buoy reached me. While they were still approaching me AGAIN with the wind blowing from me to them…

believe whatever you want SIR but I would not have blamed the master one bit for not making the massive effort he did and to have left you to the sea. He could have said, “I can’t maneuver this huge ship to pick him up” and just not even tried to recover you…no law that says after you have tried you have to keep trying forever…didjya ever think about that one? Hmmm? I personally wished he had with your attitude towards him!

such an ass you are

the only statement you have made which I agree with Herr DoucheSabbag

and how exactly did you end up in the water without ANY flotation aid of your own? some offshore sailor you are!

2 Likes

The AMVER press release said he had a pfd on. But you know, on a calm sunny day several hundred miles North East of Cape Cod those puny waves may have had a stealth mode to pull him under anyways.

Look. Most sailors will go to tender assistance to one in distress because it’s the right thing to do. Others will because there are statutory requirements ordering them to do the right thing.

But you should have spent the last three years better understanding the risks involved in even seemingly simple tasks at sea in seemingly perfect weather.

1 Like

Perhaps we got off on the wrong foot. It may have been a better conversation had you not assumed just because things were not done to your satisfaction that the Captain and crew were cold hearted. Of course they wanted to help you, they were there. Don’t be such a jerk.

[quote=“DougSabbag, post:121, topic:12107”]
So… you would stand on your deck and take pictures of the person drowning, on a sunny day, (the 30 knot wind was an exaggeration, and they were 4 - 8 foot waves)?? What ‘safer method’ did they employ??? BS. It was by the grace of God that the wind died for 30 seconds and the buoy reached me. While they were still approaching me AGAIN with the wind blowing from me to them…
[/quote] I don’t know what safer method they employed, but it worked since you are indeed alive. Perhaps you should call out AMVER for lying about the weather in the press release? If anything, I would expect a bit of underestimation on the wave height. Sure, some might over-estimate the seas to make themselves look cool, but from a simple perspective, the waves will appear smaller from the deck of a ship that size since they are looking down on the waves.

Part of your mistake is insisting that the goals and motivations of the Captain and crew were cold and heartless because they did not decide to affect the rescue in your desired manner as opposed to a nice, “Thanks, I’m grateful, perhaps we can discuss the way the rescue went down and learn from it.”

Perhaps there was a better way of doing the rescue, but it did work.

[quote=“DougSabbag, post:120, topic:12107”]
I am NOT alive because they ‘rendered assistance’, I am alive IN SPITE of their ‘assistance’.
[/quote] So there was somebody else standing by to save you approximately 780 miles northeast of Cape Cod? That’s a nice slap in the face to somebody who came by to render assistance to the people on a boat in distress. And that’s why very few would even take the time to consider your part of the story.

[quote=“DougSabbag, post:120, topic:12107”]
It is very unreasonable of anyone to expect anyone else to USE their LIFEBOAT to pluck someone out of the water.
[/quote] If it endangers the life of said crew, yep. It’s just not reasonable to ask somebody to put themselves in a hazardous position to rescue you.

2 Likes

I honestly and truly can’t believe you are STILL arguing this point Doug. You are only alive to do so in the first place because of the Captain of the KJ - not by your own doing. Remember, YOU got yourself in the position of needing rescue in the first place.

You REALLY need to learn some humility Doug. You owe your freakin’ life to those you criticize.

4 Likes

thankfully, I think this cretin has left the building

Maybe , " DougSabbag " should start his own " Blow boater rescue site " , and the entire world would know what an ungrateful idiot he is .
I can tell you one thing , up here on the Great Lakes , They would Maybe make a call for you , and would rarely even hang around to assist , let alone waste time launching and recovering any of their own assets . Time is money , crews are limited , and schedules are tight.
As far as " towing " a life boat astern , that just proves your incompetence and lack of knowledge and seamanship .
Be thankful that you are alive . Learn from it , and move on .

1 Like

It’s unfortunate that he has that attitude, even after three long years that he could have learned from his previous mistakes and the responses to those. I for one am glad he reopened this, but not because I met him, just to see the report. It’s good to review others experiences at sea and try to learn from them after the fact. It has the chance to make us better. Of course coming into the discussion with a better attitude by shabbag would have given us a better atmosphere to talk about it.

It’d be good to hear from any who work on standby vessels for platforms (from the North Sea and Newfoundland for example). While those operations may not be directly relevant to an open ocean situation on a large vessel, hearing from those with a different scope of experience and expertise would be interesting as well.

I hope this guy has swallowed the anchor. He shouldn’t press his luck any further.

1 Like

(A little late to get into this thread but this was too much to pass up.)

The guy admits right there he wasn’t in need of rescue. The KJ should have moved on and left them.

So now please go away and whine someplace else about how the process of saving your life was done so poorly.

Did you suffer permanent brain damage along with tunnel vision or have you always been such a bitter asshole? Why are you here? Please go away and whine to someone who cares about your miserable existence.

2 Likes

You keep emphasizing that it was “sunny” but that doesn’t equal good weather or calm seas.

Great way to kill or maim a crew member. Like I said, you would have been well served to actually try and learn something these last three years.

Yes, because the captain had enough sense to not try launching a lifeboat in those rough seas.

2 Likes

d748d4018cb471d357409c9306477a336645cce5cfa2bf861895546983b07703

1 Like

Not even close.

This is why I’m here to object to how you’re going about things. The fact that somebody is going to try and properly assess the risks and use what they consider to be a safer option is automatically assumed by you to mean that they don’t care if you live or die, to question their motivations.

Don’t confuse trying to do things the write and safe way with poor motivation.

1 Like