I'm on the outside looking in

Deleted by author

Cheng, I have wondered where you have been…I have missed your input here…

I don’t have any leads for engineers but I’ll keep my ears open…Hope things get better at home…I know how that can be…

We’ll keep our ear to the rail…and get back to you.

Have you called anyone yet? Candies? Chouest?

Hey Cheng, was wondering where you disappeared to. I’ll keep my ears open.

Sorry to hear that Cheng.:frowning:

Unfortunately- I think paycuts are going to continue- less jobs=more applicants= employers can be more picky- and pay less.

I see a lot of Chief Engineer positions posted- but have no idea on the pay. Only place I know for sure is Chouest. $500-$580 a day- ask for Nicky.

Also currently looking for chiefs-

J Ray Mcdermott
NOAA (not likely they pay $500)
Oceaneering
Resolve Marine

I’ll keep my eyes open…

Thanks al,l I just started calling today. Got a lead at Crowley that may be promising, and a few others but, these days are getting bad. It’s like Steinbeck’s “Grapes of Wrath” all over again…

Cheng - I don’t remember what size license you hold, but you can referesh our memories when you have a moment.

I just posted a job listing over in the Jobs Thread for 2009 positions on the “Empire State” in all positions for this years cruise. Take a look.

Otherwise, call Nicky Collins in the morning over at Chouest to see if he can turn you onto something.

I know the NYC DEP was looking for an engineer though I am not sure which rank. Good luck!

If its bad for engineers then it really must be bad.

No kidding. Cheng…try Chouest. Hopefully, you hit them at the right time.

Cheng,
That 30% pay reduction was that across the board with everyone? Was there a reason given and how long do they expect this to last?
I’m asking because it doesn’t appear that day rates are falling 30%, though I may be wrong.
Tengineer

Check your PM box…

[quote=tengineer;9238]Cheng,
That 30% pay reduction was that across the board with everyone? Was there a reason given and how long do they expect this to last?
I’m asking because it doesn’t appear that day rates are falling 30%, though I may be wrong.
Tengineer[/quote]

Sorry, Just got back in. Yeah, it was 30% across the board. The word is other companies will follow but not as of yet. We were told that the rates dropped almost 50% but that doesn’t seem to be the truth. I don’t know what to say but, it seems to me that there may be something else going on and that we are not hearing the whole story. Kind of a fucked up situation, we were told that there would be a wage cut a couple weeks ago. Everyone figured they would take the 10% we got last October. Last Monday we were told effective now, 30% cut. They said they are hoping things will get better in a few months and they will give it back but I am doubtful they can accurately predict anything and I am not willing to wait until things deteriorate to the point I am competing with 40 more guys looking at the same job as me.

It was nice while it lasted but, I am headed back to the PNW. It is going to be tough. I’m not going to get the 620.00 a day that Iwas here and I am looking at even time but, I’ve wanted to go even time for years and now it looks like I;ll have to. No prob. They have internet up there and I’ll still be at gCapt!!