Future of ships

Good points. Says automated so maybe the admins need to tweek the settings some or do a review before hiding. Guess in a perfect world users would only flag things truly deserving of it as if we all had a common understanding of what that is. Short of that your scenario is completely plausible. The system contains the tools of its own destruction with only human beings to prevent it. Who’s your money on?

One of the snowflakes is me, the original snowflake will remain anonymous.

Why did I flag it? For a few reasons:

1. I wanted to test the new system.

2. I selected your post because I knew you’d call me out and It would lead to a conversation.

3. because I thought it was appropriate to this thread. Specifically @celesticomper is onto something, regardless of the plausibility of robot ships, all this data is going to put a lot of eyes on the industry… what’s going to happen when watchdog groups get access to all vessel records and start “flagging” maintenance records or voyage plan routes?

It’s already happening in the fishing industry (http://gcaptain.com/google-to-track-commercial-fishing-vessels/) but that’s just the low hanging fruit… once it proves successful then grant money will be allocated to expanding the scope to commercial ships.

1. I gives me a chance to ask that we do a better job at welcoming posts written by mariners outside the US. I will post more about this to a separate topic.

Speaking for myself I thought this thread was of intrest because of the possiblity of shifting route monitoring ashore but too many bs posts.

1 Like

I was the only one to give @celesticomper a like for his post. I too Feel the same as you both about the data collection and where it will lead.

On a side note you helped me earn my first “flagged post” badge. I bet I’m the first person to get one so far so c.captain can suck it.

2 Likes

It has two likes now.(I have been a bit inactive lately)
I have no problem with your “end note” either. It was as can be expected and taken as a normal “tongue-in-cheek” comeback, not to be taken too serious.

I DO agree with John that foreigners should be taken serious to ensure a varied and independent forum, where not only the opinions of US Mariners with largely the same background and experience mainly from an American environment are the ONLY one allowed to voice an opinion.

I believe I have contributed with some opinions and facts that, shall we say; “has met with a certain degree of resistance” among the forum members.
Most of it in a good natured form, but some so outlandish it could not be taken serious. Only rarely have I been personally attacked. One of those times resulted in an entire thread being removed.

Luckily I have thick skin and do not take offence easily. Neither do I deliberately use words or terms that is insulting to others in retaliation from such attack, although some may not understand my sarcasm, or sense of humor.

Shipping and Offshore Oil & Gas are international businesses, with people from a wide range of social and cultural background serving both on the ships, rigs and in management.

A Maritime forum should reflect that fact, otherwise it becomes irrelevant to people other than of a certain nationality, with a set of opinions that only apply to a very small part of the shipping fraternity.

PS> Congratulation to Fraqrat as the first to be “flagged”. It shouldn’t be long before c.captain catches up, unless the automatic censoring system is tweaked. (Maybe me to??)

1 Like

You warm my heart :heart_eyes: And don’t forget all those mostly retired share holders using the so-called “Frachtschiffreisen” for 25 bucks a day drawing circles in the seacharts and complaining about problems with the vacuum toilets ? I bet they won’t put a cent to this future. Who can afford to loose those customers ?

Back to Future of ships.
The Danish Maritime Authorities would also like to stay abreast of what is happening to the development of autonomous ships and it’s implication on laws, rules and regulations: http://www.dma.dk/Documents/Publikationer/Autonome%20skibe_DTU_rapport_UK.pdf

The Danes don’t like to be unprepared for future developments, but would like to be in the forefront on regulating the future of shipping.

So Trump is not a likely source this time then???

Not only RRM but also ABB is in the business of moving monitoring of machinery and operations ashore: http://www.bunkerportsnews.com/News.aspx?ElementId=78b7b772-014d-4f01-a08d-3d77fcde3191

As is Wartsila: http://www.wartsila.com/products/marine-oil-gas/electrical-automation/automation/remote-monitoring-and-assistance-system-rms

I have no opinion on the functionality of this technology, just noting that it is here to stay and will eventually be expanded to allow crewless ships. (Not clueless Engineers)

Flapping Foils are not a new concept, but some young researchers at NTNU in Norway believe they have cracked the code on how to put it into use as propulsion and lift on fast crafts in regular passenger service: https://www.tu.no/artikler/halefinnebevegelse-kan-revolusjonere-hurtigbatmarkedet/366047

Ultimately the idea is to develop a 300 pax craft with battery powered propulsion able to serve fairly long routes in open waters. With operators like Br.Aa on board they have come a large step forward: https://www.tu.no/artikler/katamaranen-etterligner-en-delfins-bevegelse-moter-stor-interesse-fra-industrien/378754

PS> Hope Google Translate can handle these articles without too many silly mistakes.

Inmarsat is joining into the effort of the Blue Maritime Cluster centered around Aalesund, Norway to formulate how digital disruption will transform the traditional shipping industry and open up new opportunities for ship owners, marine technology companies and others in the influential network for innovation: http://www.safety4sea.com/inmarsat-norway-join-forces-on-shipping-digitalisation/

I think we can now all agree that the technology and ability to operate vessels remotely, or even autonomously, is NOT the biggest obstacle to development, International Laws, rules and regulations are!!: http://splash247.com/autonomous-ship-regulation-bigger-challenge-technology/

How will this be overcome to be able to test the reliability and safety of such vessels in real terms? It will be done in domestic waters of Scandinavian and/or NW European countries. (Singapore doesn’t have sufficient territorial water to do so)

I asked a shortly retired captain from a german container vessel what kind of paperwork he has to submit prior to entering US ports. Here is the answer which might be not complete …
Captains paperwork 96 hrs prior to US port arrival
Notice of arrival/departure for USCG and CBP (e-NOA/D):
-voyage information
-vessel detail information
-vessel location information
-document compliance certificate
-International ship security certificate
-safety management certificate
-arrival information
-last port of call information
-departure information
-24-hrs point of contact information
-last five foreign ports/places visited
-cargo information
-crew list from all crews and passengers
Maritime health declaration
Crew’s effects declaration for Bureau of Customs and Border Protection
Tank condition
Bay plan
Cargo recapitulation
Dangerous Cargo
IMDG Summary
Tonnage sheet
Port of calls list
Ships stores declaration
Tonnage sheet
Equipment test no more than 12 hrs before reaching navigable US waters in accordance with code of Federal Regulations Title 33 Part 164.25
-primary and secondary steering gear function test
-internal vessel control communications and alarms
-emergency generator test and stand by generators test
-condition list of storage batteries for emergency lightings and power systems
-test of main propulsion ahead and astern
-operation of main steering gear from local panels (drill)
-communication bridge-steering engine room drill
Ballast water reporting form

History repeats itself.

The history has a tendency to repeat itself. Protesters tried to stop horseless carriages (better known as Automobiles) I can agree that it was a dangerous invention that has killed more people that wars.

The switch from sail to steam and from steam to diesel propulsion for ships also met resistance, as did automation of machinery and equipment everywhere.
If we go back far enough there were probably resistance against the wheel.

I like this quote though: [quote]The army rounded up many of the dissidents in the days that followed, and dozens were hanged or transported to Australia. [/quote]
Which was regarded as the worst punishment??

Death is final. In transportation lies hope. Isn’t it true that we were part of the huge transportation processes over the years and we are still able to smile ? Read Marcus Clarke - For the terms of his natural life -.

The new wing of Norwegian Maritime Competence Centre (NMK) is soon ready for occupation. It will contain a new Simulator that allow research and testing of equipment developed within the Maritime Cluster around Aalesund and beyond: http://www.smp.no/nyheter/2017/04/03/Her-ser-du-to-minutter-inn-i-framtida-14547675.ece?rs72585

Offshore Simulation Centre (OCS) will also be used for teaching and training of officers and maritime professionals from the University and Maritime School across the street.
This goes way beyond what is required by STCW or any Flag state but is required by the operators of highly complex vessels used in the offshore oil & gas and wind farm industries worldwide.

Here is a presentation of OCS and what they have to offer: hniforum.no/cmsAdmin/uploads/offshore-simulator-centre.pdf

I’m proud to say that this is going on within a short distance from my home in Norway.
What is happening here will affect the future of the maritime professions worldwide, whether it is wanted or not.

How it will affect the US Maritime industry and US Mariners are up to you, but to resist development is not going to stop it. At most you can slow it down in your little part of the market. To have a small % of the large world market is better than to have 100% of a small and protected market, but it requires following the trend and development that the market demands.

Things are happening faster than even I had thought possible: http://www.mynewsdesk.com/no/rollsroyce/pressreleases/to-nye-ferger-vil-faa-autocrossing-fra-rolls-royce-1895677
There will still be crew to handle drive on/off and a Captain in the wheelhouse for the time being, but the last is mainly because the rules are not yet changed to where these ferries can go fully automatic.
Engineers??? I don’t know whether the rules still require those when there are no engines, only batteries and electric motors.
I assume somebody will have to make sure heating and toilets for the pax work though.

As has been stated here many times, regulations are more of a hindrance to Autonomous ships than technology: http://splash247.com/autonomous-ship-regulation-will-prove-far-tricky-developing-required-technology/
Give your vote.

I’m all for regulations that hinder implementation of technology that could put me out of work one day.

2 Likes