Another Military Sealift Command thread

[QUOTE=Mike23;143609]SIU UAP is a good choice also only thing I really couldn’t deal with is making that small amount of money for that 1st 6-8 months your in school. I needed more income to pay my bills back home and that wasn’t gonna cut it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it definitely is not for everyone. I feel fortunate that I am in a position where I can pretty much “leave it all behind” (to an extent) and go away for a year, finish the apprenticeship, then start a new life.

But yeah, it is like an “enlisted route” for merchant mariners, just like the Merchant Marine Academy is the officer route.

That’s very true. MSC has it’s pros and cons and SIU has it’s pros and cons but either way both are good ways to get your foot in the industry. Starting from the bottom is rough but as long as your motivated you will move up that ladder. This industry is what you make of it. Your definitely in control of your career out here once you get in and start getting that seatime and upgrading.

What was the hardest part for you when you started out?

The hardest part for me was trying to get a entry level job. That’s really the hardest part because it’s so many people trying to get entry level jobs but there are not that many. When dealing with MSC if your not former military or have prior skills on boats or things that relate to the KSA’s then your already on a up hill battle because your up against 300-800 people applying for maybe 150-200 open spots for each entry level job. SIU to me ain’t as bad as MSC when it comes to entry level if you go threw the SIU UAP. when you finish school you get your B book instead of just being a guy off the street that checks into the hall with no experience and if you do that your automatically gonna be a C book which it’s super hard to get shipped out as a C book and as a C book you go to all the ships and places that nobody else wants to go.

[QUOTE=Mike23;143643]The hardest part for me was trying to get a entry level job. That’s really the hardest part because it’s so many people trying to get entry level jobs but there are not that many. When dealing with MSC if your not former military or have prior skills on boats or things that relate to the KSA’s then your already on a up hill battle because your up against 300-800 people applying for maybe 150-200 open spots for each entry level job. SIU to me ain’t as bad as MSC when it comes to entry level if you go threw the SIU UAP. when you finish school you get your B book instead of just being a guy off the street that checks into the hall with no experience and if you do that your automatically gonna be a C book which it’s super hard to get shipped out as a C book and as a C book you go to all the ships and places that nobody else wants to go.[/QUOTE]

I hear you. Getting an entry-level job at MSC, let alone anywhere, is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Your chances of winning the lottery may be greater.

The SIU UAP seems like a real leg-up. I’ll be glad to go to Piney Point.

[QUOTE=TheShipCantSink;143644]I hear you. Getting an entry-level job at MSC, let alone anywhere, is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Your chances of winning the lottery may be greater.

The SIU UAP seems like a real leg-up. I’ll be glad to go to Piney Point.[/QUOTE]

well, Good luck!

You will have a better leg up than I will, even. I still have a C book and I’m going to try and ship with it this winter…come to think of it, maybe you should be the one wishing me luck.

[QUOTE=catherder;143650]well, Good luck!

You will have a better leg up than I will, even. I still have a C book and I’m going to try and ship with it this winter…come to think of it, maybe you should be the one wishing me luck.[/QUOTE]

Ha ha, I wish you well. I wish all of you well. Aren’t you an MSC employee, btw?

Good luck there Cat. When you have all your ducks lined up be sure to visit the Marine Fireman. They could use a few more Electricians and Reefers.

[QUOTE=Mike23;143607]They told me my NEO date 3 1/2 months before I Had to report to NEO.[/QUOTE]
I was initially given just 1 business day then we worked it out after a few calls. Now I am trying to figure out how to get a 6 month supply of my prescription drug. My current insurance only allows 3 months by mail and my current pharmacy will only provide 3 months as well. Any info appreciated.

[QUOTE=seaseeker;143923]I was initially given just 1 business day then we worked it out after a few calls. Now I am trying to figure out how to get a 6 month supply of my prescription drug. My current insurance only allows 3 months by mail and my current pharmacy will only provide 3 months as well. Any info appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Showing proof I need more has worked for me, also explaining that I was leaving the country worked. MSC will issue you a letter stating you need the 6 months of meds.
Last but not least, the best way is to just buy out of pocket a 6 month supply and keep it on hand, rotating the stock with you routine prescription refills, this way it’s an expense you only have to suck-up once. My Doctor/Pharmacy/Insurance wouldn’t pay for more than 3 months at a time, but the Doctor had no problem writing a 2nd prescription so I could buy and pay for the additional myself.
Additionally, places like Mexico and PI sell most meds rather cheap in the generic form without a prescription, this is how I do it most often. Beer is cheap in these places as well.

[QUOTE=seaseeker;143923]I was initially given just 1 business day then we worked it out after a few calls. Now I am trying to figure out how to get a 6 month supply of my prescription drug. My current insurance only allows 3 months by mail and my current pharmacy will only provide 3 months as well. Any info appreciated.[/QUOTE]

The nurse in the pool also has a form that you give to whomever that states you need six months rather than three months supply of meds. I don’t see why your insurance company would put up too much of a fight for that. Hell my meds cost 50k for a three month supply and they did 6 months for me. You will have the option to sign up with Blue Cross FEDVIP for federal employees which is a great provider.

Thanks Jeffrox! : I am currently in Florida and will load up here at my own expense prior to leaving for NEO when by current policy will expire. It is my understanding that all assignments depart from Norfolk so should I have my prescription transferred to a Norfolk pharmacy? Is there an “MSC friendly health plan” offered that covers 6 months prescription available to MSC hires. I have heard that there are pharmacies in the area that are used to this type of request being that it is a Navy town as I am unclear if I will have shore leave in one of the countries you mentioned. Norfolk also seems to me to be the best place to store my POV based on ship assignment return and departure flights. Any suggested auto storage places? I called Jack Rabbit and they want to wait until I get there to size up a spot.

Seaseeker, How long did it take for you to go through the hiring process from application to being accepted for NEO?. I applied for the entry level position for MSC on August 18th and I haven’t heard anything yet. Could this be a good thing because a MSC recruiter said he has already received hundreds of emails from people saying they got a letter saying they were not accepted. I haven’t got anything yet.

[QUOTE=ddash79;144036]Seaseeker, How long did it take for you to go through the hiring process from application to being accepted for NEO?. I applied for the entry level position for MSC on August 18th and I haven’t heard anything yet. Could this be a good thing because a MSC recruiter said he has already received hundreds of emails from people saying they got a letter saying they were not accepted. I haven’t got anything yet.[/QUOTE]

I applied for Any Entry-Level Position as well in August and my application was forwarded. Has yours been forwarded yet?

I have been at it for 18 months then applied for O/S Advancement Program and had an interview with a Ships Captain about 30 days later then received the good news about 3 weeks after that.

• Updated - - -

Get Sailin, Much appreciated good news. I’ll get on that.

[QUOTE=seaseeker;144055]I have been at it for 18 months then applied for O/S Advancement Program and had an interview with a Ships Captain about 30 days later then received the good news about 3 weeks after that.

• Updated - - -

Get Sailin, Much appreciated good news. I’ll get on that.[/QUOTE]

Do you have veterans status as well, seaseeker?

[QUOTE=TheShipCantSink;144069]Do you have veterans status as well, seaseeker?[/QUOTE]

Are you anywhere near Norfolk, VA? There is a job fair on Thursday at Mid Atlantic Maritime. If you can attend, you can talk to the recruiter personally. I just traded emails with him.

I am reapplying for the same position I was offered before. I will probably just switch agencies and finish out my federal time for retirement before shipping union.

I thought you just picked up a new job Cat. Aren’t you on the bayou now?

Not yet, the status on my profile is still showing application received. I haven’t received any emails or letters from MSC.

I just received an email today saying that my application for the any entry level position I applied in August for was forwarded. Is this a good thing?