Who has been laid off or significantly effected due to COVID19

My company is still delivering petroleum in the Northeast. We have one crewmember that we had to layoff. His wife works in an infected nursing home in queens and he showed some symptoms.

I hope to get him back as soon as his quarantine period is over and his tests are clear.

I do know that cargo inspection companies have laid off their staff. I am seeing 30 year inspectors at strange docks and that is the word.

I think we are in more danger with the price of oil than the pandemic.

But aren’t you already retired? :smirk:

It’s how society is structured. Labor market is infinitely deep and wide globally. Everyone is special and no one is special.

From the USCG, yes. If I did not work I would go insane.

As far as this COVID thing goes, I know of one vessel where the crew got off, the Master immediately got sick, went on a ventilator, and died from the 'Rona a few days ago… Three others were confirmed positive and are recovering.

The crew that came on was warned but left on the vessel and spent a week cleaning the vessel daily with bleach and when not on watch in separate rooms when not on watch.

This crew got off and just passed three weeks quarantined from family at home.

Anybody want to make bets on whether this vessel which is still working or the other one quarantined at the pier and just went “off contract” so the company did not have to report to the USCG? Anyone? Hello? Is this thing on?

1 Like

A valid point.

What was the vessels name that the master of died?
Or are you just full of it?

If I do that, I don’t get inside information anymore.

It is one thing if I get retaliated against. I am stupid and try to do the right thing. It is quite another thing if a friend and confidant gets retaliated against. I am semi-retired.

This was just an example of what I am sure many have had to deal with in our industry. Additinally, I am sure this is prevalent in other industries as well.

Be safe out there.

haws91. That is fucking rude. Sorry for my french.

1 Like

A punk is a punk.

Be safe my friend

1 Like

Soooooooo your full of it… roger that

Go away

1 Like

Eh… theres some truth to his story if it’s the same guy who I know recently passed from the Covid.

My company just recrewed a boat they just tied up. We think they got their sba ppp grant. Guess I’ll be employed for another hitch

Hopefully it keeps you going for 8.5wks, the PPP money technically is for payroll or a mortgage, not for other business expenses, at least if the company is smart, 75%+ has to be used that way or they pay it back.

In response to the Post about a Captain who died, NOT BS. A Mate from the same crew just came off a Ventilator. Another boat infected also. Shoreside Maintenance Company Employee was the source.

The post about the captain who died is a true story. Major North East company. Basically the companies fault from what I HEARD. I have NO FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE. I do believe a few companies are going to be Downsizing or going belly up. The company where I work always seemed on very shaky ground. High turnover and poor management. However, everyone says that about every company they work at so that’s nothing to take to heart. It just seems like business is down, oil is cheap, people aren’t moving and I think that a lot of people will be working from home permanently when these huge companies realize they got by without expensive office space and infrastructure which will ultimately lead to another reduction in oil consumption. Again this is all my personal opinion as a lowly Tug crew member so I am not claiming to know any facts. What I have seen is very inconsistent enforcement from our office of policies. They are super important till they are not. We had one Port Engineer who was really good and nice to deal with and he jumped ship and from what I understand went to a construction company. I was speaking with one of our port mechanics and he is looking to change out of what we do for fear of downsizing and layoffs down the road. I know us on the boats are starting to consider our options. . .

All that being said no one has been laid off, we have not missed a paycheck. You can tell money is tight with the company but that is just being smart when who knows what is happening. I have been doing what I do for a long time and never been out of work other than when I quit. I can’t imagine what option I have at my age with literally one skill set. I’ll be in it till things get better or go down with the ship. Hopefully things get better!

1 Like

Oh the suspense. Which company/s? Hopefully mine isn’t one you are referring to.

The rumors must be true, :joy: everyone’s getting bought by Kirby… the end times are near :joy:

Sure Kirby has a giant note they are scrambling to protect, as do others. They have been a big player over the years, and fairly succesful, buying other companies on the cheap that weren’t as successful. Their management team has done quite alright. Don’t see them going under by any means as they make adjustments to the market. Cutbacks, perhaps,perhaps not. We will see. They will survive, JMHO

1 Like

I’m just poking fun at the northeast / NYC rumor mill, yrs ago everyone thought they where next. Somewhere I still have the letter from 2007 ? that the company was not being sold to Crowley / Foss :joy:, holy fuck the panic that one caused.