White House task force quietly softened cruise ship no-sail restrictions after months of industry deference

You left off the part in Bold:

Cruise lines support more than 421,000 American jobs and annually contribute about $53 billion to the U.S. economy, according to the Cruise Line Industry Assn

Cruise lines supporting more than 421,000 American jobs is a bit like saying hookers support the jobs of pimps, Johns, police force, and medical establishment.

6 Likes

No, it’s not, it’s a CLIA fiction based on total industry employment and earnings. The American portion of that directly sourced from cruise ships is microscopic.

Why are those 100 ships not anchored off the coasts or at the docks of their ports of registry?

3 Likes

Kennebec and Sand Pebble are on to something here. Lee Shore makes me chuckle about dancing and singing. Some KP gals actually sing the National Anthem at our beloved Met’s games, not taught, just talent. Dancing classes? I would be apalled if it was ever offered at any Maritime Academy. You old timers are the best at dry humor, thank you, life is good.

I didn’t leave it off, I linked the entire article.

We’ll be prepared because it was an elective phys ed. Class at SUNY. Best elective I ever took.

1 Like

Dancing?

Some of the Carnival owned cruise lines are planning to use their ship to get crews home:

(They also conveniently re-position the ship for it’s next assignment)

From Maasmond Newsclippings today:

HAL’s EURODAM as seen from MAASDAM – off La Paz, Mexico The tenders are ferrying approx. 350 crew from MAASDAM to EURODAM – mostly Indonesian and Filipino but also from Europe, USA and India - for onward transportation to their home countries. Bon Voyage. Photo : Mike Brewer Chief Electrical Officer ms Maasdam

(Sorry, photo didn’t copy)

1 Like

Right, that’s a great example for your case, cause everyone knows that plane crashes are contagious. One plane crash can infect two to three others. Before you know it up to 4% of planes might be crashing…/s

Actually, reality is that they don’t. Having seen the actual examples of how difficult (impossible) to contain an outbreak on a cruise ship, I fail to see the logic in expediting their return to service. I fail to see how enabling someone’s vacation and the quick reemployment of the person who’s sole job it is to make that vacationer smile is worth the potential for spread of a virus, possible loss of life, and the imposition of their quarantined sick human cargo on the medical infrastructure of whatever port happens to let them in.

4 Likes

For the cruise ship mafia, the beauty of foreign flags isn’t only that they can screw the US by not paying taxes, but that they can also ignore CDC guidelines.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/cruise-industry-defies-100-day-163545638.html

2 Likes

More stories about stranded cruise ship crews:

" Why the cruise industry thinks it would be able to operate itineraries from U.S. ports and sail in U.S. territorial waters during a period when the CDC is expressly prohibiting it for 100 days is unclear."

Oh, I think it is crystal clear.

1 Like

money

1 Like

Most of those ships are anchored or laid up in the Bahamas at this point.

Everyone can blast the cruise market, but reality is, they will be just fine, they will build, build bigger, continue not to use American crew, and people on here, that have a hatred for them, can continue to hold that grudge for the many foreign crew who do an outstanding job to give enjoyment to people. I guess you just want everyone to be as miserable as you.

1 Like

Are you a comedian on one of the ships or a magician?

2 Likes

Who were you trying convince anyway buddy? From your shallow, unfelt arguments I got the impression you were trying to convince yourself as much as anyone else. You sounded like one of those executives or spokespersons in front of Congress or a judge trying to explain why tobacco companies & their products are so great. If your conscience is clear & you are happy the way the cruise industry is currently operating then that should be enough for you. Most people of this forum have worked for Big Oil at one time in their careers & the only way we can half way sleep with ourselves at night is because we had enough sense & courage to call bullshit when it was. It sounds like you have been bought lock, stock & barrel by the cruise industry which is too bad for you. But no skin off my back. Like you said, the cruise industry will be just fine eventually. Hopefully they are forced to change their operating procedures but I don’t have my hopes up.

Do you want a medal working for big oil? Is that American flagged? Or were you a scab as well.

1 Like

You must be on the CLIA payroll, part of the propaganda division obviously.

"Most’? Sounds like you studied statistics and rhetoric at Trump U.

Most, is in reference to the 40+ vessels there, which account for a large percentage in the US area.

2 Likes