What to do after a bachelor degree in Naval Architecture? RINa or MSc?

I’m a student of Naval Architecture and I’m close to get my bachelor degree. Actually I’m studying in Italy but I’d like to move out to my country because I want to develop my career abroad. I’ve heard about the Royal Institution of Naval Architects based in London and I would like to have more information from people that are in the sector and experienced. In particularly I’d like to know if the RINa will provide to give me the knowledges for start my career with a high preparation, then how is structured the training course. If somebody could let me know more about this institute I’ll be very grateful.

You could start here:

Or contact them for more info:

I’ve read it yet obviously, I want opinions from people that are expert in the sector or also from those that are familiar with it.

I recommend continuing with a Master’s degree in Naval Architecture, perhaps in a foreign university (e.g. Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Finland).

Thank you @Tupsis, that’s an option that I’ve considered. I was interested in the Royal Institution of Naval Architects in particularly also because is accessible in matter of costs, M.SCs in the universities that you have mentioned are pretty expensive for me actually… that’s why I want to know if a RINa’s Certification could be at the level of a MSc in matter of preparation and ‘‘curriculum’’.

Not that I have any advice to offer but what are your plans with the degree? Work for a naval arch firm, class society, shipyard, marine salvage…? What are your interests?

1 Like

I might be completely wrong, but I feel you might be misunderstanding what RINA is. The RINA equivalent in Italy is the AsProNaDi (http://www.aspronadi.com/associazione/). My understanding is that is not a school, although it does offer some courses.
If you want to enhance your knowledge, I would suggested, as other have said, to look into a M.Sc. program at a University with a Naval Architecture department. If you want to get more hands on experience, then look for an entry level job (graduate level in the UK).

Ciao e buona fortuna.

Grazie @ccairoli I’m starting to understand now. Italians universities are more ‘‘theoric’’ than ‘‘practice’’ compared to foreign ones so with a bachelor degree I suppose that I will not have many knowledges in the sector so I hope to take the right choice after my graduation in order to have a proper preparation.

@Chief_Seadog I want to became Yacht Surveyor because I like to stay in contact as much as possible with vessels and as little as possible in an office. I know what I want but not how to reach it. I’m trying to find information around but I haven’t see anything that can answer to my questions, for this reason I’m asking for some advices in this forum to people with more experience than me.

I would suggest you check for a discussion board for Webb Institute in NY, USA or send them an email. Webb is a great school with unique alumni. Check them out, you may get some good advice.

@tengineer1 I’ve checked their website and it’s an incredible college but their fees unfortunately are out of my possibilities

I was not suggesting you go to school there but check with some of their alumni for advice. You’ll likely get better advice for your purposes there than here on gCaptain. Good luck to you

Why not try to apply with one of the IACS, then you will learn and work at the same time, maybe getting opportunities abroad as well.

NTNU in Norway offer Master Degree study in Naval Architecture. No visa problem for EU citizens and the course is free:

https://www.ntnu.edu/studies/850md/admission
Unfortunately the application deadline for this year is over.
:

I’m pretty sure Webb Institute is a tuition free college. Quite a few of my friends went there.

If you want to become a Yacht surveyor and have already a degree in Naval Architecture, I would suggest looking at RINA (as in Registro Navale Italiano), BV (Bureau Veritas), DNV, and ABS for open positions. You might have just send them your resume.

Don’t forget LR (Lloyds Register). Here is an example position looking for an applicant. Surveyor Marine (lr.org)

1 Like

Don’t limit yourself to the only above mentioned, look at all IACS members, any one of them is a great start into the survey world, will get you a good foundation and then go from there.

The same applies to Aalto University - there’s no tuition for EU citizens.

However, noting that you’re interested in becoming a class surveyor, perhaps a Master’s degree is not required - the LR position @Chief_Seadog linked says both BSc and MSc are applicable. I have a feeling it’s a field where you’ll learn more by doing than by sitting in school for two more years.

1 Like

work in a pleasure boat yard either side of 100 footers so you learn how both are built, frp and steel aluminium