What endorsements/certs do I need as an AB unlimited w/RFPNW to work on drill ships?

This is my first time (ever!) posting on a forum, but I’m in need of good orderly direction. I’ve been working on scientific Research Vessels for about 12 years and want to crossover to the Oil and Gas sector. I only recently discovered O&G specific courses such as RIGPASS/SAFEGULF, BOSIET/EST and MIST. Of which I’ve taken in hopes it will get me in the door. I put it to anyone in the know, am I missing anything? Do I need anything else like Advanced Fire Fighting to work on 7th gen drill ships?

That is an excellent question. Hopefully, the deep water drilling guys will weigh in on this.

I work for an offshore drilling company with some new builds and we do not have any AB positions onboard. I am pretty sure all our DPO & ADPO’s are required to have their 3rds Licenses. We also have a 3rd mate, Chief Mate and Captain, but zero regular AB’s. Some of the drilling crew do have AB’s and LB endorsements, so they help fill the role of a traditional AB, but they also spend lots of time on the drilling side. Sorry.

With 12yrs experience you should have more than enough time to take your 3rd’s test. Why not do that and make yourself much more employable?

[QUOTE=Kingrobby;147739]I work for an offshore drilling company with some new builds and we do not have any AB positions onboard. I am pretty sure all our DPO & ADPO’s are required to have their 3rds Licenses. We also have a 3rd mate, Chief Mate and Captain, but zero regular AB’s. Some of the drilling crew do have AB’s and LB endorsements, so they help fill the role of a traditional AB, but they also spend lots of time on the drilling side. Sorry.

With 12yrs experience you should have more than enough time to take your 3rd’s test. Why not do that and make yourself much more employable?[/QUOTE]

That would be a very astute observation had my initial statement not been somewhat misleading. I sailed as Ordinary for 10 of those years. A transgression of youth, I didn’t push for AB until married (What can I say…women are an expensive habit.). So I did double duty on the Bridge while not on Deck to pick up necessary time for RFPNW. I’m short about a year of sea time as AB to sit for 3rd. That and the approx $30k to drop on all the courses. That tangent aside, am I to understand that the ABs on these drillships are “slinging pipe” the good majority of the time over any other duties?

You only need six months sailing as an AB to sit for 3rd mate. It sounds like you already have it. If not, it won’t take long to get the rest of it.

If you sail SIU for 120 days a year you can take the upgrade courses at Piney Point for free.

I met several drilling crew guys at MPT who had been sent by their drilling company for the AB course.

Mr. Admiral,
Although I cant answer your question I have been in the oil industry as captain of crew/supply vessels and am now looking to the research vessel side . Do you have any company names that might be hiring A.B. Unlimited and/or 100 ton captains… Thank you ! P.S. you are definitely on the right site to find out everything you need to know. tugsailer is good he helped me a couple of days ago.