What do you do in your off-time on board? Technology access?

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;116895]Depends on the crew. Some trips there is a cribbage game on a long sea passage several nights in a row. I did a relief job on a ship that had a nightly poker game when the schedule is not to hectic.[/QUOTE]

Oddly enough, I played more cards when I was on tugs and ATBs than I did with a larger ship’s crew.

[QUOTE=cmakin;116896]Oddly enough, I played more cards when I was on tugs and ATBs than I did with a larger ship’s crew.[/QUOTE]

Crew dynamics are different. With a 5-7 man crew working long hours tempers might flare but it would be forgotten the next day. More friendly teasing etc. With a 20 man crew long-running feuds can develop.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;116898]Crew dynamics are different. With a 5-7 man crew working long hours tempers might flare but it would be forgotten the next day. More friendly teasing etc. With a 20 man crew long-running feuds can develop.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I remember that the unlicensed had poker games going most nights on the SEALAND MCLEAN. One got really out of hand and our day QMED managed to get logged, confined to quarters and sent home at our next port.

When I see the technology available now onboard, I find it amazing. Last year I spent a few weeks on a small four point sat boat, I had complete phone, internet, DirecTV. . . wow. . .had WiFi in my cabin, but never used it. Spent most of my time in the Client’s office, anyway.

[QUOTE=cmakin;116901]Yeah. I remember that the unlicensed had poker games going most nights on the SEALAND MCLEAN. One got really out of hand and our day QMED managed to get logged, confined to quarters and sent home at our next port.
.[/QUOTE]

I thought the crew was a little too wound up about the poker but the cribbage games seemed friendly. It’s good to have a way for the crew to blow off steam but the officers are busy working almost all the time now

I work on tugs, most of them have there own staterooms for the crews. I bring a guitar and even play it from time to time. I work a 6 on 6 off schedule so sleep is more important then entertainment . We work inland on a river and usually have cell service & wifi. I never get bored on the boat sometimes I even teach new guys how to splice line and other fun stuff:)

Gigayacht. Internet at speeds to support Skype, unless someone decides to download movies, in which case the access gets cut back, WiFi everywhere, 111 channels SAT TV, library, TV at every crew bunk and all lounges / mess rooms. Digital movie library access. I figure we have more full height air conditioned Rittal rack cabinets and UPS units than a seismic boat. Gym stuff. The rooms have individual thermostat control and are in general cold, no need for a fan, bring a blanket. Some card / board games played at quiet times. When in yard periods, Owners aboard, or coming soon, there is no time. In port without guests, go ashore, go running, to the gym, in town or attempt to cross pollenate with nearby yacht crew.