What Do Mariners Do When We Retire?

DON’T DO IT!!! It’s like getting an extra wife! They cost a lot of money, always need something & you’ll probably only take her out a couple times a month after the newness wears off. If you get rid of her, you’ll be lucky to get half of what you put into her. Rent or borrow.

4 Likes
1 Like

Haha. Nothing I’m gonna buy. I couldn’t afford anything in the class…

1 Like

After retiring I got bored so I took a relief job on an OSRV. Worked when I wanted to. Ended up going full time for several years and finally retired completely, spending time on hobbies. Still wake up before the sun is up. Get together occasionally with a fellow retired relief Master over beers. Occasionally miss going to sea but as they used to say in the Navy, When I start missing it, I get two coke bottles filled with sand, hang them around my neck and stand outside at midnight while my wife sprays me with the garden hose.

2 Likes

There will be the dog, a canoe, my decoys, and my trusty 870…and when in the spring a new fly rod, ratty truck, waders, water and snacks, and a map of every dang trout stream I can reach in a month of driving.

Oh, and my better half, good food, and wine.

5 more years.

2 Likes

No, starting a business is easy. All that requires a healthy dose of self delusion and utter refusal to listen to any voices of reason :upside_down_face:

7 Likes